"He's Pretty Good"

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Ah! An answer - wrapped in excretory nonsense, but there WAS an answer in there.

Bill, you claim:
He's having a problem accepting what every musician has learned, and for some unknown reason refuses to accept a common sense deduction.
I disagree with two points (which means, just so you don't get confused - both of them!): 1) "Every musician" has not learned that a capo causes detuning - the pros and semi pros (and heck, most of the students) I work with are smart enough to know how to use one so that it DOES NOT cause tuning problems - simply place it, as you would a fingertip, as close to the fret as possible and use only enough pressure to fret the notes. Your example of bending behind the nut is an invalid comparison - behind the fret you have perhaps a few 64ths of an inch from fret crown to fretboard, while behind the nut you have 1/8" -1/2" or more. You CAN'T duplicate the behind the nut bend unless you go *sideways*. I realize you mention that it IS a larger "bend" - but bringing it up at all invalidates your premise. 2) In that your entire basis for comparison/testing is invalid (apples vs oranges) there can be no "common sense deduction" (and I know of no one BUT you that thinks this "issue" is common sense).

To add to the poor example you gave - not only are the "bending" distances different, with a capo you don't press the strings down to the fretboard anyway - your press them only *to the fret* - unless you don't know how to use one.

Make call to Rick Shubb or Raul Reynoso at Shubb,or call John Pearse, r maybe Tony Rice - I'm sure any of them would be more than happy to educate you in the proper use of a capo. Or go to a bluegrass festival, watch, and learn.

Your explanation demonstrated, as I expected, improper use of the device. And perhaps you have one, but it's one of the old elastic-band types that are rarely, if ever, used anymore - and those, if just slightly off the back of the fret, might be equivalent to excessive finger pressure and affect your tuning by a nearly inaudible amount. If so, let me know and I'll mail you a modern one with instructions for use. No charge.

The only "common sense deduction" that can be taken from your original statement regarding capos and your explanation is that you do not know how to use one correctly.

Glad we cleared THAT up.

Oh - and to go full circle, I think folks listening to player using a capo cranked down midway between a pair of high-crowned frets would not comment "he's pretty good" - because he'd be out of tune due to misuse of his equipment.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Jim,

I would never impose on you, although gifts are always nice to receive. Another time, or another place, where strings are apt to snap, a borrowed string is a great indicator of camaraderie. Jim, when I stepped into a subject that creates little interest to other members, I was referring to silly iotas. Not as if someone turned a key a half revolution. I appreciate your patience and civility.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Pete,

I've acknowledged your words. I will ponder the message later. I'm falling to sleep in my chair. I'll respond later to all inquiries.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 5 Oct 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

He's pretty good,mmmmmmmmmmm? Thats the same as;
'She has a nice personality though!! :lol:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry,

I was out last night to check out a newly assembled band. I'm exhausted from the excessive guffaw from those seated at my table. Constant chatterings ruled out any chance of actually complimenting the singers on the stage. None of the crew of laughing attendees seated near me could carry a tune. I found the lead vocalist on stage, to be one who could sing well within the parameters of a good voice. The slamming of glasses at my table with each wisecrack, and subtle remark, coupled with the guffaw, tested my patience to the limit. Have you ever been caught up in situations where your plans go awry, when you step out to be entertained?
Larry Bressington

If the place was that bad, i'd have a whiskey somewhere else. :o
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry,

I use care in projecting images such as imbibing in concentrated alcohol. If I take a drink, I'll sip on nonalcoholic (2 percent) beer. I paid $3.00 and didn't finish drinking the contents of the bottle. Spending money has nothing to do with the problem. I pay at the door, the same as others do. If they serve food, I'll order from a menu. Every club's characteristics in service and management differ, as some are managed by those who do not give a hoot for live country bands. Bandleaders are "notorious" for wheedling the clubowners or managers into a booking or two as a trial run. I visited a club in the outskirts of Boston, MA in the 70's owned by a lady who loved country music. She had her own sound system, and said that she would sell her place, rather than let the band go. For once I felt better about how clubs are managed.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 5 Oct 2008 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Larry Bressington

Thats very true, a few good men went to the wayside, over alchohol, i had my heyday on the road, i do it for fun now, like most of us, cant take it too seriously, A clean image always sells better, i very much agree bill. We are getting away from the original question?
He's pretty good! :roll:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry,

As you know, stories come down the pike that should warn people away from things that cause bodily harm. Too much bravado, and too little of a will to resist, works havoc into precious lives. Experiencing a point of no return is a frightening situation. No more of this, in a forum designated explicitly in the interest of every aspect of the steel guitar, and its owner. When anyone reiterates those few lines ("He's Pretty Good") it covers a wide area of remarks by individuals who have an inborn tendency to irritate at the wrong moments. Nasty little quips that go straight to the heart. One of the more recent quips that rocks my boat is the one stated as, "Who cares?" Another would be; "Whatever". Both smack of poor influences in and around social gatherings.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 5 Oct 2008 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Larry Bressington

I could not have said it better myself bill, have you noticed how these threads wander off into a different direction? That said; This whole thread is utter nonscence and has nothing to do with steel guitar and their owners! So to you my freind, No more of this!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry,

Thanks for the education! I'd sell my steel and amp tomorrow if I lived according to your directives.
Larry Bressington

Well i dought that you will ever be pickin in a honkytonk , so you'll have to play in church.
Have a good night bill, Take care my freind. :)
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Bill, Great topic. I can go to sleep now with absolutely nothing on my mind.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Bo Legg,

Speaking of minds, WHAT IF, someone you know, (perish the thought) and may The Greatest Of Them All never allow it to happen, urgently required one of the most dreaded surgical procedures to take place in a largely populated city? That individual would be more concerned at that moment, than is imaginable. The patient espies the head of the surgical team passing by in the hallway, and immediately turns to you, and with a noticeable trembling lip, queried; Have you heard from others who may have been under similar situations, with this doctor? How does he rate as a surgeon? Without thinking, you reply; Oh, "He's Pretty Good", at least this much I've heard. Now there is an analogy you can sleep on. No, seriously, you need lots of bed rest to stave off, the off and on practice sessions. You may need to consistently indulge in extended practice sessions, depending solely on the pleasures you derive while seated at your steel. This isn't your usual bedtime story of steel guitar glory. It is more of a carry over of blurtings at a super market. And BTW Pete Finney, I am not an eavesdropper. I will only admit to turning my attention to exclamations made while visiting super markets. The intercom systems grab my attention as well.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Both smack of poor influences in and around social gatherings.
Thus proclaimeth the pundit of club environments, capo use...and etiquette.

Now we have Emily Post on the forum.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

I just started out reading all the comments about the CAPO. Look back to the famous "Mother Maybelle Carter". When she picks the Wildwood Flower, whoever is a country music lover, says that it is forbidden. She made history in the music world, and to this day, I, as one of millions, can sit and watch her play and sing that song. Rest my case.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Ronnie,

In 1949 Steve Sholes made Chet Atkins studio guitarist for all Nashville Sessions. When Chet settled in Nashville in 1950, Mother Maybelle, and the Carter sisters took Chet under their wings. I often wonder what was going through Mother Maybelle's mind when she heard Chet play "The Wildwood Flower" for the first time. I can imagine though.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Jim Sliff,

Once again you conversely attempt to disprove a valid point of view. I sat in at a bar, where two steel players have regular bookings about a month ago. Crystal chandeliers were hanging above the dancers, while the barmaid was seen fishing cherries out of the glass jar to add color to mixed drinks. I think that handling the coffers, currency and foodstuff, deserves some rearranging of approaches to more sanitary conditions. The other option is to let it all hang out, and say that anything goes.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

He was pretty good
It was Chet’s knowledge and genius that influenced country music not his guitar playing.

I never considered Chet a country guitarist and I’m sure he never wanted to be.

If you’re not happy with the Nashville sound you can thank Chet for a lot of the direction country music took through his influence.

Chet knew that his style was not going to fit in the new country music and it really was out of place in the old and I think he wanted it to be.

Chet later changed to more of a classical style, moving himself further from country music.

I think in the future PSG players are going to more and more distance themselves from country music.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

This whole thread is utter nonscence and has nothing to do with steel guitar and their owners!
Larry, you just told that to the guy who authored this thread. Thank you, you are absolutely right!
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Larry, did you expect something other than what you got, considering this is Hankeyland, an adjuct theme park next to Fantasyland.

SS
Larry Bressington

:) :(
C. Christofferson

Post by C. Christofferson »

Tuning adjustments can be made with the capo itself; After clamping it on an in-tune guitar, if it then sounds that it has been knocked out of tune, insted of trying to turn the keys, first try holding it on both sides evenly and gently pull/nudge the entire capo just a smidge towards the bridge thus slightly relaxing the added tension on the strings. Sometimes this will bring it back into tune, good luck. Bill, do you still have the note-name stickers on your fretboard? I was hoping by now you would be able to find your way around on it. p.s. I have Glen Yarborough's old capo.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

SS & Barry,

Come to think of it, those inscriptions would be perfect for the bull's branding iron. On second thought, it may not work out. I'm sick of how those animals are treated in a civilized country such as ours. As a matter of fact, if b0b will allow, it's high time that some attention was given to that particular problem. Those scarred animals live in a hell all their own. I have nothing more to add, and the matter is dropped. I want to focus on SS and Barry, although I've never met them. Apparently, they delight in teasing, and instilling bitter mockeries. Crediting Larry is another means of antagonizing a steel player who is simply not concerned with superficial patronizing. There is a bad rub going on here. I tried to "outlaw" the capo, for the sake of image, and that had less appeal than hiding a player's bar and picks. That has taught me more than I need to know in terms of constitutively working to that end.
Larry Bressington

Bill, Toby keith has some advice for you!
Gotta getcha some!! :lol: :lol: :lol: