Friendly suggestion for David Hartley

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

I think David Hartley should be Knighted!!!
Sir David Hartley-Knight of the Rains.But I still want him to play one with "FUZZ".
By the way, look at what kind of steel that I play. :wink:
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Larry Scott

Post by Larry Scott »

This is great :lol:

I truly was speaking more about "TONE" and NOT his ability.

:P
Don McClellan

Post by Don McClellan »

Bent, Emmons does play many different styles. From pure country to fusion. This includes standard jazz, western swing, blues, Hawaiian and even classical and I doubt he's lost any fans because of his versatility.

This all got started when I first saw that David had recorded the classic country/blues tune Walking After Midnight and I said Great! a new Hartley video and one of my favorite songs. I was sure he would not treat this song as conservatively (country) as he had the other tunes I'd heard. But although the playing was as clean and spot-on perfect as always I was (selfishly) a bit disappointed. The arrangement was pure country and (for me) not enough blues. Well, as his biggest fan you can imagine what a shocking blow this was to me.
I panicked! I ran out into the dark streets pulling my hair and screaming, "What do I do? What do I do? until I fell on my back into a field of clover. I laid there trembling and gazing through the stars into the Heavens above and suddenly a little voice in the back of my head said, "Go to the forum and tell your tale to those who love you".
The point I'm trying to make is don't ever listen to that little voice in the back of your head.

David, I don't mind who else is offended by this thread but I hope you're not. I love your playing. If I didn't I wouldn't care what you do. Don
Last edited by Don McClellan on 28 Sep 2008 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Nylund

Post by Peter Nylund »

Larry, is this all a Willie thing? :?
I know my playing is a bit pitchy, but at least my tone sucks
kyle reid

Think alikes?

Post by kyle reid »

I think we have found the perfect match? Don McClelland and Bill Hankey
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Don, I don't care who you are, now that was funny!
P.S. I'm still Davids biggest fan.
2nd P.S. If you see Dog the Bounty Hunter, tell him I said "Hi".
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Clarence Wilson

Post by Clarence Wilson »

I have two of David's CD's. I am 85 yr.s old. I like the note where he says he never practices or ever plays the same tune the same way again.
CEW
If someone says"Trust Me", RUN!!!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Clarence,

I have memories of the late and great Chet Atkins using the same expression. What does that tell you?
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

The more important, just might be, to ask exactly how many have paid attention, to all of the many, many different "licks" that David has put into the tunes?

As well as, when you hear them, does it ring a bell of exactly who used them and into what songs? It should, because he's pulled them off flawlessly.

Listen and see if you hear any Lloyd G., Hal R., among others, not to mention, many of David's own.

That should be enough, however, if you ever get the chance to see David play in person, with his Live Group, then I'm quite sure you'll find what you feel is missing from the videos.

Nice work David.. 8)
pdl20

Davids playing

Post by pdl20 »

Like many here on this forum,you are a breath of new air in steel playing, great tone ,style and song selections, keep up what you are doing, play what you feel and feel what you play, you have it all covered my friend. and thanks for posting your talent on you tube for all to enjoy. Rudy :D
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
David Hartley

Wow! Don..................

Post by David Hartley »

I better start tweeking the steel guitar first.

Its not my Rains, I thought I better tweek up Keiths Fessenden and give you a tune on the C6th using the TubeFex!

Keith just phoned me up to tell me about this thread. It certainly is a good topic, and I was a bit surprized by it all. How can I answer this one. I can give it a go if you like, I have played many sessions with bands who are anything but country. Thats when, Yes, I use a more adventurous style and sound too if required. I have all the effects in a rack in the studio here, ProFex, TubeFex, and others Revrebs too. Don? My first instrumental cassette (which is now on CD), had Hey Jude with loadsa distortion, Have you heard it? I tell you what I have got upstairs too..... My Ozzy Osbourne outfit which I wore at a party earlier this year! Perhaps I will put that on too and do Crazy Train. Oh...Here is me playing it!

Crazy Train available on CD soon!

I will send Don the first and only copy !

Ha!

I also recorded Pinball Wizard a few years back with a bluegrass band. Way before Hayseed Dixie were around!

Many thanks guys. I do have some great ideas, which I will eventually get round to recording and broadcasting..

Mmmmmmm?

Lets see if the Tubefex still works?

Bye for now..

I am enjoying this thread!

David Hartley
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

You look pretty good as Ozzy my friend. :D :D
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Now, when can we see the pic of Ozzy in a David outfit?
Carl Williams

Way to Go Don! :)))))))))))))

Post by Carl Williams »

See what you've done Don...David we thought you were nothing but just a good, ol'country boy! :lol: You may have Mr. Carpenter on your case now and have to scrape a name off of that Hartley or is that Rains! :whoa: It's good you're taking this in good spirits...I'm sure you can "burn up" anything you'd want to play on the "Hartley" and I'll just bet most folks would tune in and listen... :wink: Don as I was told one time: "Don't Start None--Won't Be None"! :lol: Keep up the great picking/teaching David..Carl
Larry Scott

Post by Larry Scott »

Me too :D :o :lol: :eek: :idea:
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Don, thanks for the reply and the rather witty explanation. I think we all understand each other. Also, with David's witty retort, I don't think there is much left needed to be said. Nice to see that David has a keen sense of humour :-)
Don McClellan

Post by Don McClellan »

Thank you Bent. I agree.
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

David,
Do you still have that LDG in the photo? I'd love to hear you play one just to hear the tone difference you get between the the Rains and the LDG... on YouTube of course.
Bernie Gonyea

David Hartley Wins Again/ The Good Humor Man

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :roll: :lol:

Dave : : I am pleased that Don finally rattled your cage just enough to get a response from you.I noticed he also rattled many other cages, to get us all in a Hartley Defensive Mode. But I thank you all for bringing this thread to a HEAD. I knew right from the start just in what fashion Dave would answer Don's request[ At the start of this thread ]. I knew he could awaken the sleeping Giant.. Dave, thanks for easing all our intuitions. We need a good Ozzy Make over for our halloween Party in October. Bernie :D :lol: 8) :roll: :)
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

You look pretty good as Ozzy my friend
I have actually suspected for some time that David really is Ozzy. He wears a costume to make him look like David Hartley.

Keep up the good work David.
Jim Simon

Post by Jim Simon »

Mr. David Hartley, in his recently posted response, gave us all one of his best lessons. Not on steel but one of character and grace. I guess when you are typing on a computer key board annonomously it gives some the right to be rude. It takes a tremendous effort to post one of these videos. David and others have done so strictly for the enjoyment and to the benefit of others. Selfless.

Any here that think they have the right to critisize the interpretation and technique of another steel player and fellow member are rude and small albeit safe behind their little key boards.

David Hartley is a gentleman. I am very proud to know and learn from him.

Jim Simon
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Dale Gray

Change-sure!

Post by Dale Gray »

The only thing I can think of would be if David would change his address to Colorado USA. Then I could take a few lesson's from him. Love his pickins and style. Come to think of it I have some Hartley's in the distant family tree.
GFI SD10.Vegas 400, Oblong pedal, Rocket Scientist.
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

well..get out the flame guns..
We don't need another Emmons,Green,Franklin,etc. We have those! We need the Hartley style...or any other style that is *great* to carry us in to the future of our music...I'm just sayin.
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Hey David,
Any plans to take the "Ozzy" gig to the ISGC next year and bite the head off a bat? :whoa:
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Like my friend Junior sez, there is a Hartley style and most folks like it a lot. Why don't you cats, wishing HIM to do another style, get on the stick,and publish some of your stuff. Heck, we might like it as much as any of Dave's stuff. We now have a Hartley style to add to the legends and that's good. Let's hear some more styles. :D

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!