How many of us play the Mandolin?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Strauss

Post by Michael Strauss »

I have a ukulele which I try to play. Kinda like a mandolin with 4 strings.
Carter S-12U, Sho-Bud LGD (80's), Fender Jazz King, Korg Pandora Toneworks PX4D, Modulus Q6, Ampeg B5R, Lapstick Travel Guitar mod to lapsteel
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Mike, did you mean to say, "How many of us admit to playing the mandolin?" :lol:
David Nugent

mando

Post by David Nugent »

I believe I was the former owner of the "Cheap Fender" Roger R referred to.(Roger, if you do a comparison, I think you may find the Fender better sounding than the Epiphone, though not as pretty.) Recently purchased an Eastman "A" model. Had all intentions of going with an "F" model but this particular unit far outshined every mandolin in the place, a real banjo killer! IMO, Eastman is the best new "A" model mandolin available for under $1000.00.... I still occasionally substitute in a local Bluegrass band when the regular player is unavailable. (Am also their standby banjo, six string guitar and Reso player.)
Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

I have one, don't play it very much.
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

I do. Here is a shot of my Weber "STE" F model. Its the one in my avatar as well!
Love it!

Twang to the bone!
David LeBlanc

Post by David LeBlanc »

Not a pro, but can play a few tunes.Ive had one for years. Just a cheap thing. 8)
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

Rick Batey wrote:Kevin, I sympathize. I nearly let go of this one a few times.

Nice! I've had 2 Style A's that I let go of over time. What I'd really like to have above all else is a nice F-4. That's the one for me!
"...An admission of interest in protracted commentary is certainly no reason to capitalize on surmised aberations that do not exist." - BH
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Count me in, I ain't too good, but I get by. I have an electric Fender FM62SE, and a nice Washburn "F" style. They both play and sound good.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I've played the mandoline since about 1964.

Michael Lee: the cumbus isn't really a mandoline, you know, it's more akin to the banjo.
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Ah yes...mandolin...a fine Italian word that when translated to English means "out of tune"... :)

(as told to me by mighty fine mando player Tim O'Brien)
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Rick,That's great credentials to having played with Mr.Bill.I have been told he could be a little cantankerous sometimes [A genius usually is] Was this true?DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

I pick at one when I have to.
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Charles D.,

Bill was one of the nicest guys I ever worked for. He never complained to me about anything I played, but I had sense enough to play what I knew he wanted and not try to reinvent the wheel. Contrary to popular belief, I've found that guys on his level and looking for a competent and reliable player, that doesn't have bad habits and gets along well with everyone when you're on the road. They are the stars, they don't want someone that tries to make his own show. I really miss Mr. Monroe. He was a good man. I've seen him go get change in a restuarant so he could pass out quarters to kids.
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

I've got a Kentucky "A" style I used to play a lot.Haven't picked it up in a couple of years .
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Harry Dietrich

Post by Harry Dietrich »

I do.

Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

He was a good man. I've seen him go get change in a restuarant so he could pass out quarters to kids.
Yup, that's certainly true. Bill showed up to play impromptu at several bluegrass jams I played at over a period of years, and we still have the quarters he gave my daughter tucked away with his signature for safe keeping. He was so passionate about his music and the people around it.

My earlier answer was pretty flip. I don't play enough mandolin to hurt me, but I can hack around some. It's a nice texture instrument in certain situations, and I agree that most bluegrass bands without the strong mandolin chop don't cut it for me. I've had a few old Gibsons - mostly A-models - but decided I really didn't need that good a mandolin. Right now, guitar, steel, and b@njo are quite enough, thank you.

I did get to play Bill's old mandolin very briefly one time when talking to him offstage at one of these jams. Pretty durned cool - but I'm glad I wasn't the one that asked him why he scratched the Gibson logo off the headstock. He got a little irascible on that particular subject - sternly polite, but very clear he didn't want to discuss it. :whoa:
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

I used to play mandolin---All you bluegrass guys know how it is---Everybody can do a gig on more than one instrument. I had a GREAT Flatiron F-5, when Bruce Webber was still running the company. Put modern Gibsons, and most custom builders, to shame.
John Duffey had a great right hand, too.
DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

Count me in. I consider myself pretty much a hack, but I do have a nice '73 Gibson F5.
Robbie Roberts

Post by Robbie Roberts »

I play a bit of mandolin. It's only a cheapo one and does what I need it to for recordings etc. I've neglected getting any better at it since buying a pedal steel, steel takes up all my brain power.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

The first instrument I ever attempted to play was mandolin when I was in high school. A friend of mine's father had a bluegrass band and he played guitar and mandolin in the group. I'd go to some of their practices (rehearsals) and one day he handed me a mandolin and showed me how to make open G, C, & D and that was it, I was hooked! While the other kids were crazy about Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, etc. I was into Bill Monroe and Ira Louvin....

Here's a couple of shots of my "baby". It's an old F style Gibson that I don't know the age of but it looks pretty ancient. There wasn't any sticker inside when I got it. The inside has been painted with a black enamel, supposedly to brighten the sound. I had to replace all the tuning pegs as the buttons had crumbled and I put on a new heavier tailpiece from Stewart McDonald. The pickguard was also crumbling so I put on another. I also added a Fishman piezo bridge so it could be amplified........JH in Va.
Last edited by Jerry Hayes on 19 Mar 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

I have a cheap F5 copy that sounds pretty good. I just use it when I am playing a show that has a mandolin double. I tune it like a guitar.
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

I am an "owner." I would like to play it better.
Last edited by Tamara James on 18 Sep 2008 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.