Need Pictures 1976 Dallas Session With Emmons/Chalker Etc.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave A. Burley

Need Pictures 1976 Dallas Session With Emmons/Chalker Etc.

Post by Dave A. Burley »

As many of you know, I produced a show in Dallas, Texas featuring many of our favorites, Buddy Emmons, Julian Tharpe, Doug Jernigan, Maurice Anderson and Curly Chalker along with a legendary jazz guitar line-up. Tal Farlow, Les Paul, Howard Roberts, Herb Ellis and Bucky Pizzarelli...The legendary jazz bassist, Slam Stewart, Louis Bellson on drums and Johnny Gore as mc and sax man.
All of these musicians were put on the same stage two different times during the evening for a jam. It was all recorded on a 24 track recorder by a company that brought their equipment to the cocnert in a semi. The individual segemnts by each of the musicians was also recorded. Some great stuff there that has never been heard except for those in attendance.
It's been 32 years since this concert was held at Dewey's Long Horn Ballroom in Dallas. I think it's time to release it as the label that was supposed to has not, mainly because of contractual problems with one of the artists.
As the record label is no longer in business, I have decided to release the album myself and am now in the process of putting it together
I do have a copy of the original masters and many tapes of the individual segments by the various musicians involved.
It was a happening that had never been done before and probably will never be done again, putting together the countrys top pedal steel guitarists along with the worlds top jazz guitarists on one stage for a big jam. For you younger musicians, check out some of the above names on either .. youtube .. or google.
I need pictures of the concert if anyone out there attended and has some. I do have some but do not have any showing all of the musicians on stage at the same time. There was also a small program book each attendee recieved that had pictures and short bio's about each of the artists. I had several but apparently water has damaged them and they cannot be used. I want to reproduce the orginal book which will be part of the package with the cd's.
Some excellent playing by Julian Tharpe, Buddy, Curly, Doug and Maurice which really needs to be out there to be heard by pedal steel guitar players and fans along with the thousands of jazz fans and jazz guitarists. Tal Farlow, Curly Chalker, Julian Tharpe, Howard Roberts, Slam Stewart and Johnny Gore are all gone now but their music lives on.
The entire production from when it first hit my brain until it was a finished product would and probably will make quite a book. All handshake with not one contract.
Thanks for any help.
Dave Burley
317-403-5660
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Dave,

I have 2 close friends who attended this show. When I met them in the early 80's these guys had nothing but rave reviews about the playing on this show. So, for the last 28 years I was hoping to see the day that a recording of the music would somehow surface. I will contact both of them and see if they happen to have any photos from the show.

Joe Rogers
Michael Stover

Post by Michael Stover »

:whoa: Wow. What a lineup.

I can't help you in any way (re:photos), but please keep us posted on your progress, and put me in line for a copy!
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Dave, check your email.
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Dave, I have a well worn copy of the 'It's For The First Time" LP (Wow Records 1001) you produced featuring Jernigan, Chalker, Maurice Anderson, Julian Tharpe, Speedy West, Emmons, Day, Rugg & Lloyd along with Jimmy Bryant, Henry Strzelecki, Louie Bellson, & tenor player John Gore. Nine top steel players take turns soloing over swing tunes and you can really hear the differences in each style.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I have been hearing about this show almost since it took place. I would love to have recordings of this. All of the steel players that were there are among my favorites, and jazz guitar didn't get any better than Howard Roberts and Tal Farlow. I can hardly wait.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Milton Guilbeau

Post by Milton Guilbeau »

I wonder if I am one of Joe Rogers’ friends he referred to on his above post?? I was there with Junior Martin but sadly; we did not have a Kodak ('camera' in Cajun language). I even paid a $10 down payment for the future recording, which I do not regret as, this was a $1000.00 concert. I did have a cardboard poster, about 10 x 18 inches that I could probably locate. Just let me know if you would like to have it and I will do a Google (attic) search for it.

Put me down for a copy and please release ASAP.

Milton Guilbeau
"One never retires from music, any more than one retires from breathing."
Dave A. Burley

Pictures Of Cavalcade Of Guitars

Post by Dave A. Burley »

Milton,
Boy would I ever love to have one of those posters. I will have that copied also and include it in the cd package. If you can do without it or send me a copy, it would be greatly appreciated. I've had several telephone calls and responses to this posting and I am really getting excited myself after all of these years. I did find a couple of the original program books that I put out so I'm alright there. I yet have to figure out just what to release the first time. I have enough with all the musicians on stage for two complete cd's. I also have about four hours of individual segments, one with Julian Tharpe/Slam Stewart and also all the others doing their single segments.
The stuff that Julian did will make your hair fall out. I know because I've been listening to it for 30 years and my hair has fallen out. <G>
Still need some pictures if anyone can find some.
Thanks,
Dave Burley
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Hey Dave. Hope you got my email...
Bill Hatcher

Re: Need Pictures 1976 Dallas Session With Emmons/Chalker Et

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Dave A. Burley wrote:. I think it's time to release it as the label that was supposed to has not, mainly because of contractual problems with one of the artists.
Let me guess....Les Paul.
Dave A. Burley

Need pictures

Post by Dave A. Burley »

Bill Hatcher....You were pretty close on your guess.......Thanks again for the reponse from my post concerning Dave Burleys Cavalcade Of Guitars.
I still need pictures and whatever other memorabilia there might be from that session in 1976 at Dewey Grooms Longhorn Ballroom in Dallas, Texas..
I will post on the Forum whenever the release date gets near.
Thanks again,
Dave Burley
Jim Cohen

Re: Need pictures

Post by Jim Cohen »

Bill Hatcher wrote:Let me guess....Les Paul?
Dave A. Burley wrote:Bill Hatcher....You were pretty close on your guess
You mean it was Ron Paul? :roll:
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

Let me guess....Les Paul?

Dave A. Burley wrote:
Bill Hatcher....You were pretty close on your guess

You mean it was Ron Paul?
RuPaul.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

is russ paul related to ron and les?
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

chris ivey wrote:is russ paul related to ron and les?
deleted...
"...An admission of interest in protracted commentary is certainly no reason to capitalize on surmised aberations that do not exist." - BH
Don Drummer

Dallas 1976

Post by Don Drummer »

Jimbeaux,now that's funny. Thanks Don D.
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Mrs. Paul?

Dave, please drop me an email. Thanks!
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com