New to the Forum and Steel Playing

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Sherry Hostetter

New to the Forum and Steel Playing

Post by Sherry Hostetter »

Hi to all...I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Sherry Hostetter and I live outside of Austin, TX in the community of Hutto. I have just recently just bought my first pedal steel guitar. And just as recently joined the Steel Guitar Forum. I have found much useful information on the forum and browse it daily. I also found my guitar here on the forum from a gem of a guy named Ernest Cawby....I'm sure many of you must know him. He has been just wonderful in helping me get started on this next adventure in life. I would be interested in connecting with steel players in the Central Texas area and learning of steel club meetings, or shows where steel players are performing. I look forward to making many new friends and embarking on this new adventure.
Last edited by Sherry Hostetter on 1 Sep 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Woronowski

Post by Pete Woronowski »

Hey Sherry,Great to have you here and best of luck in learning your pedal steel.
Take Care, Pete
Mullen Royal Precision
Brian Kurlychek

Post by Brian Kurlychek »

Welcome to the forum. I am new also. This is a great resource.
We live to play another day.
Jerry Grant

New Player

Post by Jerry Grant »

Hi Sherry,
Welcome to the wonderful world of pedal steel! I too am pretty new at this but I really enjoy hacking at it. I live in Bartlett, north of Taylor on Hwy 95. I pass thru Hutto almost every after noon on my way home from Austin where I work. I would love to stop in sometime and visit some.
Send me an e-mail or call me at 254.527.3280.
LOL, Jerry Grant
Jerry Grant
'74 Emmons,SD10,Black
'79 ShoBud Super Pro, Orange Lacquer
Session 500, Bandit 112, Fender Pro 185
Epiphone 6 String Acoustic
Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

Welcome to the forum Sherry from the flat-lands :D
Do ask questions, most of here will try to help you!
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
Mike Maddux

Post by Mike Maddux »

Good to see another Maddux/Maddox on the forum....
President - Southern Californa Steel Guitar Association

Regular Rig: Twin Reverb, Sho-Bud LDG
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Hi Sherry, Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see your enjoying your new adventure!
The is a great steel guitar player near you who gives lessons in case you are interested. Never hurts to get off on the right foot ( pun intended ;) ) Neil is a great player and a fine gentelman...and he teaches begginers as well as pro's!
Look forward to reading your post here !
Good luck!!
Larry

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=109276
Twang to the bone!
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Welcome to this Great Forum Sherry from the Pyrenees in France
you done right by jumpin' in here
the water's fine & the folks are great
gettin' out will be another matter
no matter, you'll get all the help you need on yer journey here
don't be bashful, it's all there for the askin' :D
Sherry Hostetter

Teacher-Neil Flanz

Hi Larry, You are so right Neil is a fantastic, super, great steel guitar player. I talked to him initially about what I should purchase and he has guided me every step along the way. He has been so generous. I do plan on taking lessons from him. He was so very kind the first time I met him....he gave me about a 3 1/2 hr demo on what I would learn to play....and of course he played quite a few songs for me. He played Danny Boy and it brought tears to my eyes. My guitar is being shipped as I write this, so hopefully I'll be talking to Neil in the very near future. Thanks for the encouragement...I really appreciate it. I'm sure the forum will be hearing plenty from me. I've already made quite a few new friends.
Larry Robbins wrote:Hi Sherry, Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see your enjoying your new adventure!
The is a great steel guitar player near you who gives lessons in case you are interested. Never hurts to get off on the right foot ( pun intended ;) ) Neil is a great player and a fine gentelman...and he teaches begginers as well as pro's!
Look forward to reading your post here !
Good luck!!
Larry

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=109276
Sherry Hostetter

Re: New Player

Well Howdy Neighbor. Nice to meet you Jerry. I'm waiting for my guitar, it is being shipped as I write this so I am anxious to get it and get it set up and play that first note. I am so excited I can hardly sleep at night. I wake with the steel sound in my head....what's it going to be like when I actually start practicing? I'll probably never sleep again. :lol:

Sherry
Jerry Grant wrote:Hi Sherry,
Welcome to the wonderful world of pedal steel! I too am pretty new at this but I really enjoy hacking at it. I live in Bartlett, north of Taylor on Hwy 95. I pass thru Hutto almost every after noon on my way home from Austin where I work. I would love to stop in sometime and visit some.
LOL, Jerry Grant
Katie Smith

Welcome !

Post by Katie Smith »

Hi Sherry,

I am a new member also. Don't play, but have a passion for the steel guitar. I have really enjoyed meeting some of the members, some from my area whom I didn't know. The forum is very informative and members always willing to help. You will really enjoy your visits here...
Sherry Hostetter

Re: New Player

Hey Jerry, send me your email...I've sent 2 msgs to you through the forum and they are still in my outbox, so I don't know what the problem might be.

Sherry
Jerry Grant wrote:Hi Sherry,
LOL, Jerry Grant
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Sherry,

Ernie Cawby, from whom you bought your steel, is a friend of mine and a really great guy. You can count on whatever he told you about the steel being the Gospel truth. Ernie is as honest as the day is long.

(The only problem with Ernie is that he is the only guy in Florida who is uglier than me.)

Good luck in learning to play the pedal steel. It's the most beautiful instrument that exists.
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Frank Sprague

Post by Frank Sprague »

Welcome Sherry - You just made a very good move in your Pedal Steel adventure . . Joining the Forum will help you to no end . I still consider myself a newbie , been at it about a year now , and I would never have gotten to where I am now without help from other members .
Learning how to play steel requires alot of practice and determination , and it's easy to get discouraged , and when you do , don't hesitate to talk to some of these guys (or gals) and they'll help ya out . Everyone started sometime . . .
The only things in life I truly hate - fleas , fruit flies , and building furniture
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Welcome Sherry from Alabama,happy picking.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Sherry you heard my advice about joining the forum, a great scorce of info here and so many to help. Jerry you may want to help her tune up the first time. I sent her a tuner, picks, strings, 11, and a 15, a bar, chord to hook up with, and some tabs to help her get started with and some CD's and DVD's to listen to. I know these are extra but just wanted to help a new one get started out on the right foot. Also made her a wood case , did not want to ship in the gig bag. She needs a handle for the case if anyone has an extra sitting around, the only thing I did not have.
She has everything she needs to get started with lets encourage her all we can, she is so excited everytime I call. I am sending her a set of Herby's Stainles Jags so she is fixed for strings for a year.Also Herby's phone number for future use.

ernie
Sherry Hostetter

Re: hi

Thanks Ernie, for posting to my Forum introduction. I don't think I could have bought my guitar from a nicer guy. Thanks for mentoring me from afar!

Sherry
Ernest Cawby wrote:Sherry you heard my advice about joining the forum, a great scorce of info here and so many to help. Jerry you may want to help her tune up the first time. I sent her a tuner, picks, strings, 11, and a 15, a bar, chord to hook up with, and some tabs to help her get started with and some CD's and DVD's to listen to. I know these are extra but just wanted to help a new one get started out on the right foot. Also made her a wood case , did not want to ship in the gig bag. She needs a handle for the case if anyone has an extra sitting around, the only thing I did not have.
She has everything she needs to get started with lets encourage her all we can, she is so excited everytime I call. I am sending her a set of Herby's Stainles Jags so she is fixed for strings for a year.Also Herby's phone number for future use.

ernie
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

nan told me your axe came in today, home from work at 10:00 tonight.

ernie
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Sherry,

Welcome to the Forum and to steel guitar. This is a great place to be, I am sure you will enjoy! :)

Kind Regards, Walter
Mack Quinney

Post by Mack Quinney »

Hi Sherry,
I live just up the road from you in Jarrell. Glad to have you on the forum. As you have met Neil, then you are in great hands. I took a lesson from Neil a few weeks ago and got more out of a one hour session than all the books and DVDs I've purchased. If you need something give me a holler.

Mack
76 Emmons Push Pull, Williams 600, ShoBud Pro I, MSA Classic, Remington SteelMaster dbl 8, MSA Super Slide dbl 8, Gold Tone 6, And other instruments and equipment I can't afford.
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Welcome Sherry, enjoy....need anything give us a holler up here in the northern part of the state....
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

What Roy said.......Ernie is a great guy and honest. But I'm not touching the ugly part!
Welcome to the forum, from central Florida.
You're amongst friends.
james
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Hello Hutto! We are enjoying the current gender shift on the forum, if one can say that and still be politically correct.

I can't believe no one has asked you what kind of guitar you got

Welcome.
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Ernest Cawby

Hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Alike new Carter Starter with everything she need to plug and play.

ernie
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

An excellent choice in my opinion.
Mine would have lasted me years longer but for GAS.
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons