True by-pass for my Strobflip--MORE PICTURES

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Morehead

True by-pass for my Strobflip--MORE PICTURES

Post by James Morehead »

I got tired of having my tone messed with by leaving my Stroboflip plugged in, and I got tired of hooking it up and unhooking it when I tuned up. I didn't want to mess with an A/B box--something else to hook up and take down. Seems the only shortcoming about this tuner that really bugs me, is it does NOT have a true by-pass.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this is what I did :twisted: :twisted: -----------------------------------

I call it the James Switch. 8) or Jimmy Switch for short. :lol: This is really easy to use. When you want to tune up, just reach under and feel the chord from the tuner, follow it up with your hand, and it puts your fingers right on the switch. Just flip it on and tune up, and when finished, just follow the chord back up to switch it off. It's real easy to catch on. You can do this about as fast as you can make the motion to reach up under, and after a few times, you don't even think to flip the switch.

When the tuner is on, it receives a direct signal from the single-coil pickup, so your tuner has maximum signal to help it function 100 percent. Your volume pedal is not involved, so just rock the v. pedal back all the way, and you are silent. Or if you want to hear the notes as you tune up, just activate your volume pedal a little---it does not effect the direct signal to the tuner one way or the other.

My guitar pictured is my '70 Shobud Professional with Truetones, and an old shobud pot pedal with a 500K pot. I have been using this for a couple months now, and playing through a Fender Twin Reverb and a Peavey LTD 400, with zero interference of any kind. Perhaps this idea will help someone else, who may be agrivated with an expensive tuner that does not have a true by-pass. :roll: Enjoy. ;-)
Last edited by James Morehead on 22 Sep 2008 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I wouldn't want to add/modify anything on my Franklin guitar. If I needed a "bypass" I would rather have some external device.

I only connect my Strobe O Flip when I need to tune and then connect it directly to the guitar out jack. I don't mount mine to the guitar, either.

What you did is great for someone that doesn't mind doing something like that.
Pit Lenz

Post by Pit Lenz »

I got tired of having my tone messed with by leaving my Stroboflip plugged in, and I got tired of hooking it up and unhooking it when I tuned up.
This is why I returned the Flip after only some days and got me a StroboStomp instead.

This one has a true bypass.
When I switch off the tuner, it´s completely out of the way (electonicwise...)
I also unsoldered the output tuner link jack from my volumepedal and hooked it up as INPUT parallel.
So I can tune with or without sound.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

I use a Stroboflip. I love it except for it not having true bypass and the hassle of plugging and unplugging it when I want to tune. I find that leaving it in line does affect tone. Others have written in other threads that they don't experience a problem. Perhaps that's because of their particular equipment setups. I'm thinking about getting a Stroborack which, I think, has true bypass. Gotta' check on that. Pretty expensive but at least I could put it in my rack and not worry about those hassles. I'm with Jack in that I don't want to modify my guitars.

I'm at that point in my life where if something doesn't make my life simpler I'm not interested.
Dick Sexton

Strobo Flip

Post by Dick Sexton »

James, that is one beautiful Bud. Cooped? I had the same problem with my Strobo Flip, effected the tone when plugged in. Like most, I opted to plug in only to tune, but you've got a good idea there. I may try to come up with something myself when it's to nasty to get out this winter. My best to ya. DS
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Jack....It looks as if the True Bypass switch mod is completely reversible.

I think the plate with the switch and jacks is mounted by the socket cap screw that holds the changer guide plate on the L-brackets (which also secure the changer to the body)....a soldering iron and an allen wrench are all that's needed to remove it to remove it.....no big deal!
Last edited by Tony Glassman on 4 Sep 2008 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

In some setups you can feed the StroboFlip from an amp output or from an unused effect pedal output (with the effect off for tuning) and not affect the sound of your setup. If you switch out both the ground and the signal wires, you will get a cleaner sound with lower capacitance loss.

Greg
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

That's a nice mod, James, and convenient too.

I use the second output on my Goodrich VP for the Stroboflip, and pull the volume back to almost 0 for tuning. But if I didn't have that extra output, such a device would be great. I can see why it works for you, because you prefer the single-output Sho~Bud VP. That's the one thing I miss about my Sho~Bud pedal.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Dick S. yes thats my Blondee, and it is Cooped up.

Tony, absolutely right. This is a non-invasive mod that involves one already existing screw and a soldering iron--totally non-invasive/completely reversable.

Chris, you still do not have a true bypass. Your tuner is still in you tone circuit. My mod is like taking your second jack out of your volume pedal and mounting it under your guitar--WITH AN ON/OFF SWITCH.

Jack, I would NEVER do anything to cause damage to a guitar, I know that's not what you really ment, though, but I'll re-emphasise, this mod is harmless to any guitar.

I grew up in the land of duct tape and baling wire, and we can come up with solutions if we try. Did you know that baling wire could be found in any chevrolet parts catalog?? :P

But anyways, this works for me and my situation, as was mentioned above, everyone has different gear. For me, I like my tuner out of the way and available at a moments notice, so I like the leg bracket. I hate plugging in and unplugging everytime I want to check my tuning. As mentioned above, this is not for every one, but it works perfect for me.
LaVern Skarzenski

Post by LaVern Skarzenski »

I've owned and used my Strobo-Flip since the 2006 convention in St. Louis, and have noticed no problems. I know I don't have very good "ears for music", and have been told so, but here is how I hook it up. Guitar to tuner in, tuner out to the input on amp. I use the Pre-EQ patch for the volume pedal and also use the AC adaptor for the Strobo-Flip. I use the Post EQ patch for my delay pedal. I sometimes turn the tuner off while playing and sometimes not, but I have not noticed anything. Should I be hearing something out of tune or some sort of distortion using it this way? It is very possible that it is there , and I just don't hear it I suppose. Is this just more evidence of my bad ears? Thanks.
LaVern
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Cool set up.

I tune my guitar once before each set as that is all it usually requires.

It holds extremely well.. I got tired of checking the tuning to discover that I was wasting my time. I do not have any use keeping my tuner hooked up all the time....except if there are unusual circumstances.

I really like the Peterson Tuner products too.
George Piburn

edit

Post by George Piburn »

edit
Last edited by George Piburn on 20 Jun 2012 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Thanx for the fine comments, everyone. This is just a simple idea--it may work for some, and others do not need it. It's here for those who like the idea.
Neccesity is the mother of invention.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I come straight out of my BlackBox tuner jack to the Stroboflip :|
Tony Glassman

Re: Moore EYE Deer's

Post by Tony Glassman »

George Piburn wrote:It would be simple enough to re create James's switch deal in an external box that plugs into the output jack and then your cable to the foot volume plugs into the little box.

This would make it a bit more universal and shielded too. no need to modify any steel it goes on.

I see another MooreHead Industries in the making :D

Mr.Boards
This is basically just an True Bypass Looper or A/B box.

You could place it on the floor next to your volume pedal, or swap out the foot switch for a toggle and attach with a leg clip.

The clips can be purchased at most durable medical goods suppliers (wheelchair/ walker stores). These are typically used to attach ashtrays or cup holders to wheelchairs.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=23
http://www.loooper.com/
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Yes you could easily install it in a box of some sort and mount it on the leg, or in the output jack(Jerry Rig), but for me, I like it where it is, tucked up out of the way and set up PERMANENT. I am cutting back on "stuff" to set up and take down. I like it simple. To each their own. It's all good. 8)
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

James.......Don't misunderstand me.I think your under tuner bypass set-up is great.

I suggested the Looper for either; those less mechanically inclined or folks who are more hesitant to alter their guitars (regardless of the reversibility of the mod).
Charles Barnett

Post by Charles Barnett »

My Rev preamp has a jack just for a tuner and can
tune a string at any time without hearing the string(as long as the vol pedal is off)
G2 D10 8x5, D-10-Emmons LaGrande 8x4,Stewart
pwr amp,Reverlation pre-amp,Lexicon
MPX1,Session 500,Session 400
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Naw Tony, as I said, it's all good. Everyone has a way that works for them, and this thread is showing many cool ideas. There is no right/wrong. It's whatever works. 8)
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

I really my Stroboflip.As far as a bypass.I have my Peterson mounted on the leg of my steel with a 3' chord attached to it (unplugged from my guitar).I tune up before I start playing.I just unplug the cord from my steel, lay it over the bracket of my Stroboflip and plug the tuner into my steel.When I'm finished tuning I unplug the Stroboflip and plug my guitar back in.If I need to tune after a break the cords are right there,wthout even bending over.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I just unplug the input to my rack (sitting at my right side) when I need to tune, which is almost always start of the gig, and before each set. Before each song in the studio. Not so much trouble that it bugs me to plug/unplug. After knocking over a Korg WT-10 a millinon times, and then dealing with small portable tuners, the Petersons are awesome in my book.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

I don't have to plug/unplug any more, and I don't have extra gear to take along and set up and tear down, pack and carry, and I can tune whenever I want. All I do is flip a tiny switch, works for me----------- 8)
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

I mounted a guitar jack and a switch to a tiny metal plate, soldered a couple wires, and it's attached to my guitar by one small screw. Totally non-invasive to my guitar. Totally convenient.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Some have emailed for some underside pics, so here they are. These show how it's wired up.

Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

Both my Hilton and Goodrich pedals have two outputs - one to the amp and one to the tuner. Stroboflip actually prefers a low strength signal to operate optimally so it is easy enough to back off to very low volume to tune.
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.