Choo Choo City Reunion

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Barry G-MSA

Choo Choo City Reunion

Post by Barry G-MSA »

All aboard for the Choo Choo City Steel Guitar Reunion in Chattanooga, TN March 28 & 29. If room reservations are any indication, this will be an even bigger show than last year. Special rates at the Choo Choo Holiday Inn are available through March 13. ($69 which includes free parking and shuttle service around the vacation complex). Weather should be great down south. You won't want to miss hearing Hal Rugg, Don Helms, Herby Wallace, Junior Knight, John Hughey, Doug Jernigan, Joe Wright, Bobbe Seymour, Larry Sasser, Jim Cohen, Russ Hicks, Mike Sweeney, Danny Hullihen, and many more. A post will be put on the web soon listing performance times. Looking forward to seeing you in Chattanooga!
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

This bump's on me Barry. I can't wait.
Mike Sweeney
Barry G-MSA

Post by Barry G-MSA »

Steelers, don't miss the opportunity to attend Doug Jernigan's seminar at the Chattanooga show on Friday, March 28 from 10 AM - 4 PM. Doug is not only one of the premier players but is recognized as a great teacher! For more information call Doug at 615-459-6711. Here are several distributors who will be at the show: Emmons Steel Guitar, Fulawka Guitars, Flynn Steel Guitars, GFI Musical Products, Goodrich Sound, Charlie Ward Music, Kustom Steel Covers, Steeler's Choice, Steel Guitar Nashville, Scotty's Music, Jaqwire String Company, Herby Wallace Productions and others.
Herby Wallace

Post by Herby Wallace »

I need to add a few comment about this great show. I just returned from the Dallas show which is, of course, one of the finest steel guitar shows there is, but I must add that the Chattanooga show is ranked right up there with St. Louis and Dallas when it comes to a first class show. Barry does it the right way. First, he brings in the great backup band from Scotty's Convention which puts the show instantly at a higher level. Next he brings in a great lineup of players, so it's not a show where the steel players in the audience may be better than some on stage. No offense to anyone. Next the venue is strictly first class. There is not a better place, in my opinion, than holding it at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo. This is an historic site as well as a great tourist attraction, so it is worth going just to see the Choo-Choo. Also, those of you who know me know that I consider myself an expert in the dining department, and I must say that the food last year was outstanding! Also, we had a few comments about having to walk from the Convention Center across the parking lot to the hotel room. Personally it didn't bother me as I can always use the exercise, but I must add that there are carts available for anyone who doesn't wish to walk.

I hope we see you there as I don't think you will be dissappointed.

Herby Wallace

------------------
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Well, Barry certainly listens to the good advice of someone we all know... Image It is a great show and Choo-Choo complex is a great place to have it.
<SMALL>First, he brings in the great backup band from Scotty's Convention which puts the show instantly at a higher level.</SMALL>
Well, I agree that the backup band is great, but I would not conclude they are the ONLY backup musicians who can "cut it."
<SMALL>so it's not a show where the steel players in the audience may be better than some on stage.</SMALL>
I am not sure how to react to this comment. Surely you do not mean that the shows in St. Louis, Dallas, etc. have people that get on stage that are not as good as some of those in the audience.

I would say that at some points in time during a show, that there are probably better musicians in the audience than on stage. Even this one.

I guess this also means that we should not expect to see people like, Buddy Emmons, Mike Smith, Sonny Garrish, Paul Franklin, Mike Johnson, Tommy White, Weldon Myrick, Jay Dee Maness, etc. sitting in the audience at the Choo-Choo show... Image

Obviously, not many top pros are going to drive any distance at all just sit in the audience, unless they are scheduled to play. Probably one of the very few times it ever happened was when Buddy and Hal played the Bell Cove last July.

------------------
Frank Estes - 1978 Emmons D-10 8+7 #2441D

Herby Wallace

Post by Herby Wallace »

Frank,

I wasn't trying to stir up anything here. I maybe should have chosen different wording. As to the backup band, they are great and it is a pleasure to get to play with them, but there are other great bands I have played with too, for example, last week in Dallas. Those guys are some of my all time favorite players and they have a groove and feel that is in the pocket.

Concerning the comment about players in the audience. I have heard comments from people at certain shows complaining about paying an admission price to hear an amateur player on stage. Now this is not directed at anyone. For example, in St. Louis on the talent search, you will hear all levels of players, some are seasoned pros and there are some amateurs that play on it, but the difference there is Scotty doesn't charge an admission during the talent search. Thursday night in Dallas is kind of the same way in that there is no charge for that night. Now in Chattanooga, Barry uses pro players on the entire show.

Again, I don't mean to stir anything up. These were just comments I have heard from people in the audience.

For what it's worth, Frank, I consider you to be an excellent steel player.

Herby Wallace

------------------
John LeMaster

Post by John LeMaster »

The Choo Choo City Steel Guitar Reunion is an event where us steel guitar players/enthusiasts can go to thoroughly enjoy great steel music. As mentioned previously, the artist line-up is stellar, the band is top notch, and the venue is quite enjoyable.

The big screen close-ups of the players hands is a feature that I enjoy, also. Looking forward to hearing and seeing all the greats that will be on stage March 28 and 29.

John L.
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

<SMALL>For what it's worth, Frank, I consider you to be an excellent steel player.</SMALL>
Wow! That is worth a lot! I certainly did not expect that. I know you are one who always says what he really thinks, No BS. And, you will never play or endorse a steel guitar you do not believe in. I greatly appreciate that level of integrity, because many of us wanna-bees are influenced by the guitars and equipment you top pros use.

I have always admired your "no holds barred" attitude with expressing your opinions and of course, your music!

I just thought I would have a little "fun" with one of my heros! Image

Anyway, I really looking forward to the show--you guys definitely do it right because I have never seen a show stay on schedule as well as this one!
Barry G-MSA

Post by Barry G-MSA »

bump