About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Katie Smith

Post by Katie Smith »

Good evening, just wanted to drop in to say HI! I do not play steel, but am a huge fan of the instrument. For several months, I have been browsing the forum and finally decided to join. I'm sure I will enjoy my visits here !

Katie :)
Austin Tripp

Post by Austin Tripp »

Hey Katie,, Welcome to the Forum, beware though,, it has been known to be addictive!!
"Hotrod"
Steel guitarist for Cody Jinks
Member CMA
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

Howdy and a big Oklahoma welcome to the forum, Katie.
Glad you like steel guitar. We are glad you joined and we know you will enjoy it!!
Jack
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Katie Smith

Post by Katie Smith »

Thanks! Yes, I discovered a long time ago this forum can be very addictive! Even though I do not play, have a good friend who does, here in north Alabama...
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

welcome aboard, Katie.

Now - just be sure you aren't going to play the steel. Its a bit addictive. Be careful ....

you might simply start with a bottle on your six string guitar. Then someone will 'lend' you an ole six string lap steel. Soon you might justify buying yourself an 8 stringer or a dobro, telling yourself that that will be the end of it. Next thing you know you'll be mucking around on someones old 8 string fender pedal steel at a party. Even if you never meant to try it more than once, you will find yourself hanging around at music stores, grabbing the chance to have a go at whatever is on the floor. Then you will start hocking things to pay for a pedal steel of your own. A simple 3x4 at first, but by then you'll be hooked - and you will be scamming and scheming around to upgrade to a double neck or a uni, and then another with more levers. Before you know it, your life will be ruined - there will be no proper food in the house you will have sold your car and all the furniture will be at the pawn shop. You will lose too much weight and your skin will get all sallow and pock-marked. You may even end up in jail. Its dangerous, its addictive.

Put your hands where we can all see them and step AWAY from the steel, Katie.
Ron Wright

hello

Post by Ron Wright »

hi and welcome Ron
Katie Smith

Post by Katie Smith »

Lol ! Too funny, but dont worry yet, I can't even play guitar! Must get off here, have to get up very, very early. Will swing by again soon ! 8)
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Welcome Katie,
Lots of fun, knowledge and friends to be gained on the Forum. Enjoy. And, if the bug bites, I have a great deal right now on a like new Carter starter. I'll ship it to you with a volume pedal for $695...
Larry J.
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

... this Larry guy, he's what is known as a "pusher"

hangs around outside music stores and kids playgrounds, trying to get people hooked on the steel.

"Oh, its only a little Carter Starter" - you KNOW what that leads on to, Larry -
Brian Kurlychek

Post by Brian Kurlychek »

Jeremy Threlfall wrote:... this Larry guy, he's what is known as a "pusher"

hangs around outside music stores and kids playgrounds, trying to get people hooked on the steel.

"Oh, its only a little Carter Starter" - you KNOW what that leads on to, Larry -
:lol:

Welcome to the forum!
We live to play another day.
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

:D Welcome aboard Katie,Give us a bit of "God Bless America"... :D ...PJ...
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Welcome Katie, Just get you a steel and start twangin. It don't matter if you can't play,,,most of us can't either. :lol:
Bill from Missouri
Last edited by Bill Dobkins on 19 Aug 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Pete Woronowski

Post by Pete Woronowski »

Hey Katie, Welcome to the site, you have the love for the steel hope you get one and start playing!
You will get loads of free help here for sure.
Take Care, Pete
Mullen Royal Precision
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Hello Katie Smith, welcome into the family of the music world. Have fun and thanks for your support in the Steel Guitar Musicians world. Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.
Katie Smith

Post by Katie Smith »

Thanks to all for the big welcome ! Are there any members around the northwest corner of Alabama, especially the Muscle Shoals area ?? Think my friend Bob Street joined the forum not long ago. He is a great steel player, and has been with a band called BONAFIDE for about a year now. They play Huntsville quite a bit, Decatur and most recently played at PJ's in Muscle Shoals last weekend. Lead singers are Kevin Caudle and Charlie Markam. Anyone familiar with these guys ?
Skip Cole

Greetings Katie

Post by Skip Cole »

Welcome to the Forum ; it's kinda like Fantasy Island for steel guitar enthusiast / players.
There's a fellow and his son in Muscle Shoals that are very talented steel players. The dad is Tommy Oliver and i can't recall his son's name , but they are pretty regularly envolved in the music scene around the Shoals area. I met them at the last Tombigbee Jam session in Fulton, MS , back in April. There has to be more steelers in your area , i just don't remember who they are. Anyways, welcome to the site where a lot of helpful talented folks hang out. :D
Skip
Katie Smith

Skip

Post by Katie Smith »

Yes, Tommy is very talented, I know him and his wife. Havent seen them in a long time, though. I wanted to make the trip to Fulton but already had plans that weekend. Hope to get over there at some point, as that would be the closest steel jam for me to attend...
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

Katie there is a young lady --""""school teacher I think""""that lives near you that comes to the Fulton shows that is learning to play, maybe you and her could meet. OH yes and welcome to the forum as well we sure are glad that you joined and hope you can come to the next jam at FULTON MS. lots of wives there to talk shop with.
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

Larry Jamieson wrote:Welcome Katie,
I'll ship it to you with a volume pedal for $695...
Larry J.
Too bad that Carter is Green.

Black plays better. Get a black something. Black goes with everything. It's always in style. Formal concert or backyard jamming, gotta have a black guitar. It's just like the "little black dress" if ya know what I mean. :D

Just joking..nothing wrong with green..It's just not my color of preference.. :lol:
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Welcome Katie,Good to see some one from Bama show up,I feel left out sometimes when that gang from Fla starts picking on me.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Katie Smith

Charles

Post by Katie Smith »

Hey Charles,

Thanks for the welcome ! Fla gang, take it easy on Charlie ! Roll Tide... :)
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Tamara,
The color on the Carter Starter is "Charcoal," sort of a gray/black swirl... Probably the florescent lights in my shop made it look a little green. It's almost black, and the price is right, and it includes a volume pedal, bar, set of picks, and two audio cables.

So, if anybody wants to get started on a budget...
I have to sell something soon so I can afford my next tank of gas!

Larry J.
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

Larry Jamieson wrote:Tamara,
The color on the Carter Starter is "Charcoal," sort of a gray/black swirl... Probably the florescent lights in my shop made it look a little green. It's almost black, and the price is right, and it includes a volume pedal, bar, set of picks, and two audio cables.

So, if anybody wants to get started on a budget...
I have to sell something soon so I can afford my next tank of gas!

Larry J.
Accept my apology. Gray/black swirl??? now I am droolin'. I need an extra guitar to keep at my mom's when I go to visit her, so I don't have to carry it back and forth. Is it 3 and 5? And what set-up is it?
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

Howdy. Welcome to our little home on the internet. :D
Prevent Juvenile delinquecy...teach children to STEEL

1976 MSA D-10 8+4, Mullen D10 8+4, G&L Skyhawk, Fender '52RI Telecaster, Eastman MD 615 lefty mandolin, Fender DPC750 w/Tubefex, Custom Twin Tweed Cabs w/ Peavey 1504's, 70's Fender Super Reverb, Martin D28-L.
Katie Smith

Post by Katie Smith »

Thanks Bryan! Glad to hear from another Bama steeler....