RIP Don Helms

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Brad Bechtel

RIP Don Helms

Post by Brad Bechtel »

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=139658

His influence on steel guitarists worldwide cannot be measured. I think I'll go put on some Hank Williams.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Sad news and a big loss, my thoughts and prayers go out to all his friends and family.
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

When I was little kid about 4 years old I had a wind-up Victrola and a few 78s including a couple of Hank Williams records.
I used to play them all the time.
Back then I didn't know exactly what I was listening to, I just knew I liked it.
I was hoping to see him in St Louis again this year.

Ron Whitfield

Another tough loss

Post by Ron Whitfield »

At least he had a real good run.
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

Don Helms was a true legend. He will be remembered for a long time.
C. E. Jackson

A good personal friend who will be missed.

Post by C. E. Jackson »

Don and Hazel have been personal friends to me and my wife for several years. We enjoyed visiting, trading old stories, having meals together, and playing our Gibson Console Grandes. He was always patient in trying to teach me the exact techniques he used for playing his unique style of music. He was a Legend, True Gentleman, and a Christian. He will be missed by all friends and steel guitar players worldwide. Hazel is a strong Christian and we wish her well during this time of sorrow.
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Harrison

Post by James Harrison »

Now that Don is gone, you will read and hear stories that are not true about his early Steel Guitar playing, and with what bands he played with.
Read and listen all you can about Don Helms, but remember you will read and hear stories about Don Helms that are not true. Not bad, just not true.
Please do not speak or write anything about our friend Don Helms unless you were there or Don told you the story. Just keep the dates and stories correct.
James Harrison
Last edited by James Harrison on 17 Aug 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Now that Don is gone, you will read and hear stories that are not true about his early Steel Guitar playing, and with what bands he played with.
Read and listen all you can about the great man Don Helms, but remember you will read and hear stories about the great Don Helms that is not true.
I caution people not to speak or write anything about my friend Don Helms unless they were there or Don told them the story.
James Harrison
Well James, now that you brought that to light, people will be curious to know what you are talking about.

I never heard anything but good about him.
James Harrison

Post by James Harrison »

Curt, I edited my original post to be more clear. No, I have not heard anything bad about Don. I have seen dates that are not correct.
James
Martin Huch

Post by Martin Huch »

James, aaaaaah ok, good to know !
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

If not for Mr. Helms I would never have picked up a steel guitar. I consider him the most powerful player ever. I wish I could figure out how he took those simple lines he played and made them sound so ............
Amor vincit omnia
Mickey Adams

Peace be with you Don

Post by Mickey Adams »

A weekend to remember for a lifetime...
We were sitting in the lounge after the show that night with my lifelong friend Tim Bridges. I told him what a great inspiration he was to us, and how we ALL looked up to him in so many ways. There were tears in his eyes...
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!