Hip Surgery

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jeff Coffell

Hip Surgery

Post by Jeff Coffell »

Going in for my hip replacement,"FINALLY". Your prayers will be appreciated.

Jeff "PLUMB COUNTRY" Coffell
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

You've got my prayers, Jeff... but I don't think they're gonna let you smoke during the surgery. Image

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Hope everything goes well! My dad has had one replaced and it works fine its the other one that gives him problems now.
Jeff Coffell

Post by Jeff Coffell »

Herb

You know me well enough to know that the surgeon and I have had that discussion. Thanks my friend.

JC
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

Jeff,best of luck and our prayers are with you on your upcoming surgery. If you need me to come down and get Steiner off your back give me a holler.
Is there any chance you will be able to make it to Dallas with the new hip. Hope so.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by louie hallford on 06 January 2003 at 10:07 PM.]</p></FONT>
nick allen

Post by nick allen »

Jeff -
Hope it all goes well. My wife has had both hips done (not at the same time) - it's a wonderful thing. I'm sceptical about a lot of "advances" in the medical field, but this one is terrific. Just REMEMBER, and FOLLOW, all the instructions they give you to avoid dislocating the new hip in the months after the surgery.
All the best
Nick
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

Hey Jeff!...hope it all goes well...I dont pray but I sure do feel for friends and worry about them.....and I consider most on this forum as friends
Tony
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Best wishes, Jeff. I expect to see you dancing at St. Louis in September.

Golfer Jack Nicklaus has had a hip replacement. It hasn't slowed him down much.

------------------
HagFan

Jim Peter

Post by Jim Peter »

Jeff,

I had one done about 2 years ago and I love it. I feel better, I sleep better and walk a whole lot better. The great thing about this surgery is that you will have to stay home for about 2 weeks but you will be able to play your guitar the whole time. Good luck!!!

Jim
Bill Hamner

Post by Bill Hamner »

Jeff,
My left hip was crushed in a traffic accident in '98 and reconstructive surgery failed after 3 attempts. A joint replacement procedure worked like a charm even though
they had to do a bone graft on my pelvis in the process. If you are having it done due to a joint deterioration problem it should be a "cake walk". They will have you up and walking before you wake-up good.
Bill
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Jeff, I had one of my hips replaced about a year and a half ago (age 55). I was down to walking on crutches. They at first thought it was arthritis, but then maybe it was Paget's disease. I had never been in the hospital before, and was scared to death.

It wasn't bad. The hardest part was getting up so early in the morning on the day of the surgery (those surgeons don't keep musician's hours, man). I didn't feel so great right after the surgery, but the drugs were good. Don't take more than you really need or they can make you sick. And don't eat anything until you get off the drip, no matter what they offer you. The hardest part after the surgery was laying on my back for a couple of days.

Starting to walk again was easy. Right away it hurt less than before the surgery, and everything gets better every day. Remember that.

The hardest part of rehab was not getting aroused when the pretty young nurse pulled my pants down to take out my stitches.

You'll be glad you finally did this. You'll be up walking around in no time, and after a year you'll be lugging around your steel and amp like nothing ever happened.

Jeff Coffell

Post by Jeff Coffell »

Thanks for all the good words and prayers. I didn't realize all the bad hips out there. It must be a musician thing. Ha. I talked with the surgeon on Mon. and feel a lot better about this thing. The first hip surgery I had was about 7 hours long and I was on crutches for 13 months. Couldn't even put enough pressure on the hip to pull on my boots. This time it only lasts 1 & 1/2 hours and they'll have me up that next morning I hope. The only concern is my allergic reations to a lot of different things such as medicines and even some foods. He says I have a real good chance of my body accepting this joint.

Everything is gonna work out great. JUST CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW i'm gonna smoke in that operating room. EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THAT HEATED DISCUSSION WILL APPRECIATE THIS LITTLE BIT OF FUN Especially the HERBMEISTER.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers I really do appreciate all the phone calls, e-mails from all my friends and forumites, whom I also consider my friends also.

Jeff<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Coffell on 08 January 2003 at 08:18 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Coffell on 08 January 2003 at 08:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Bowman

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Jeff,
You'll do fine as long as you don't let that "QUACK" from Bremond (I think that's where he lives) have anything to do with it. Image!
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

Jeff, You'll be fine. Just do what the doctor says to do to avoid problems. I had my right hip replaced 3 1/2 years ago (at the age of 46). I was lucky to have a first class surgeon. The operation took a little over an hour, and I was given a spinal instead of a general anesthetic, so no problems at all post-op. I was up making phone calls a couple of hours after the surgery ( of course, I may have been incoherent, but I felt fine).

5 weeks on crutches, 5 more weeks on a cane, and all was fine. No more pain, no limp, completely normal walking gait. The only hassle I remember was having to wear tight elastic stockings, which I had to have help to put on. I went back to work about two weeks after the surgery. It was too soon, but I was bored.

Even though you feel better right away, You will continue to improve over a period of a year or so.

Good luck to you, Jeff. It's a serious operation, but hopefully it will go as smoothly for you as it did for me.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I hope that everything will work out good for you. From what all the fellows say here , you will feel like a new man...al Image
Don Ricketson

Post by Don Ricketson »

Hi Jeff, hope all goes well. At least maybe you can have time to set around and practice. Poor Regina Image

------------------
Mullen D10-8/5
Sho-Bud S10-3/4
Evans Amps
"Making The Stars Shine"

David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

By the way, Jeff. Be sure to take a portable CD player with ear phones to the hospital with you. I listened to all kinds of good steel CDs while I was laying in the hospital. Daytime TV sucks big time.
basilh

Post by basilh »

I'l be thinkin' of you my friend.
Baz
www.waikiki-islanders.com

------------------
<SMALL>Steel players do it without fretting</SMALL>

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Jeff Coffell

Post by Jeff Coffell »

well guys and gals. I'm sitting here watching the hours go by and waiting on 6 a m . thats the time to report in the morning. Thanks for all the positive words and testimony from those who have been where I'm going and from those who haven't been there. I really appreciate all the phone calls and e-mails from all you guys.

You can bet, I'll let everyone know as soon as I'm up and runnin again.

Bobby, Your talking about our friend Stevo Stallings. Man, I wouldn't let him operate on my old guitar much less my new guitar and especially not me. All jokes aside, he's a great dr. and an even greater friend.

See all you guys later.

Thanks again

Jeff
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

I visited Jeff at Scott and White hospital in Temple, Tx yesterday. The operation was a failure.... yep, he's STILL UGLY!

Just joking.... He is doing fine and kind of drifted in and out while we were there.

He had been running a fever post-op, but that is very common. He looked good and was in good spirits.

Keep him and his family in your prayers.

and Bobby.... I only look a little like a duck Image

------------------
God Bless,
Steve Stallings

www.thenightshiftband.net

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Stallings on 12 January 2003 at 05:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Heinrich

Post by John Heinrich »

Hope everything goes okay Jeff! All the best!

John

------------------
www.johnheinrich.com
Double 10 2001 Excel
Double 10 1974 MSA
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Heinrich on 13 January 2003 at 07:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Farlow

Post by David Farlow »

Jeff, praying that all is well and that you have a speedy recovery!

David

------------------
Kenny Forbess

Post by Kenny Forbess »

Hey Jeff,
Good to read on the Forum that the operation went okay,
Did you look real close to make sure they didn't put it in backwards ?
you could be doing a lot of round &
rounds. Image
I have a guitar picker friend in N. Little Rock,who just had one done .
He's doing good,walking fine ,no problems.

Here's his name and E-mail, just in case you want ot talk to someone who is in your boat.
Glen Brown
lgbrown@alltel.net

Here's hopeing you're gonna be danceing the 2-step soon.
i know you will, cause you're "Plumb Country,"
get well soon,my friend.
Kenny
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by KENNY FORBESS on 13 January 2003 at 05:29 PM.]</p></FONT>
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Jeff
Congratulations on getting the job done! Come March, at the Jamboree, I will personally light up a cigar with you... in the parking lot, of course!! Image

Seriously, I think it's great that you'll be on your feet in no time.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Jeff Coffell

Post by Jeff Coffell »

I'm back

Thanks to all of you for all your thoughts and prayers. i'm doing about normal at this stage of the game. Have my first follow up on fri 24th and will let everyone know then.

I had a steady flow of friends in and out of my hospital room. Didn't really realize how many good friends that I have and I Thank God for each and every one of you. thanks again

Jeff