Last weekend in Wilson, N.C. (MASGA Jam)

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jerry Hayes

Last weekend in Wilson, N.C. (MASGA Jam)

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Just a little short report on how much I enjoyed the jam in Wilson on Saturday & Sunday. I got there about 11:30 on Saturday and it was well worth the trip. I met some really great people and renewed some old friendships too. I'd especially like to say how glad I was to meet Boo Miller. I'd never heard him play before and I've got to say for sure that the guy's "Killer" in all way. He picked his butt off on that Mullen and played some of the best stuff you've heard. They did a show on saturday night with the band and with Boo, Jerry Fleming, and Herby Wallace. Boo didn't have to take a back seat to anyone in my opinion. Herby did his usual outstanding stuff as only he can do. I'd have to say that the best tone I heard all weekend came from Jerry Fleming on that wood bodied Marlen. I'd love to get a tone like that. On the Sunday 1st set show the three of those guys were joined by Clyde Mattocks of Kinston, NC who if you haven't heard, you should. I first met Clyde at a jam in Kinston a year or so ago and he knocks me out every time I hear him. Clyde can do some cool hammer ons and pull offs which make for a great technique. You ought to hear him imitate Buck Trent's electric banjo stuff on the steel. He's got that down pat for sure.
All in all, it was a great time in an intimate setting. There were steelers of all levels participating and everyone did a great job. If you blow a lick you just laugh it off and no one makes fun of anyone else. We're all friends and had a great time together. Thanks to Bowie for setting this thing up.
Kim Altman the Secretary sang some songs on the show and played her own rhythm guitar! Dang, I didn't know she was a musician, I just thought she played steel! Image Image

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 04 February 2003 at 06:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Al Miller

Post by Al Miller »

AW Shucks Jerry !!
Thanks for the kind words My friend
But i need to stay in that Back seat At least until i can get back into some kind of practice routine. heck i am pretty rusty but guys like yourself make me wanna start playing again for real Image thanks again bud and i hope you can make it to Mtn city in may and we will do all over again.
Boo
Kim Altman

Post by Kim Altman »

Hi Jerry!

You are too funny! Image I really enjoyed seeing you and hearing you play. And thanks for taking the time to explain your setup . . . not that I remembered all that, but it sure was interesting! Image

See you again soon I hope!
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kim Altman on 04 February 2003 at 06:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Kim,
I really enjoyed your vocals a whole bunch. I hope the next time you'll set up your guitar and do some steel pickin'. I really enjoyed you at the little get together in that lodge building in Kinston about a year or so ago. There were only 6 or 7 of us but it was fun.
I'd also like to mention my old buddy Kenny Dail on Sunday. Kenny as everyone knows is a good pedal player and especially shines on the C6th but on Sunday he brought his old Rick Frypan and treated us to some wonderful lapsteel. I even noticed across the room that Herby Wallace was paying close attention to it. Kenny, if you see this I'd like to tell you that you sounded great ol' bud and I was proud of you. I still say that Mary Helen's too good looking to be with you though!!!! Image

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

Jerry, thank you so much for the comments. I thought your playing was above your usual level. I do believe you have been practicing. Mary Helen says she sloves you too....but I saw her first. Image

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...