Stroke

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Howard Tate

Stroke

Post by Howard Tate »

I had a strange episode two weeks ago, got up at night for the restroom and couldn't navigate. C.T.scan results show I had a stroke. It must have been pretty mild, I'm doing well, but feel very clumsy on my steel. I've played one gig since it happened and was very uncomfortable playing. The band said I played OK but I'm not so sure. Lot of mistakes. I think I may quit, at least for a while. I just don't feel myself, and don't want to play out for now. Have a lot of you been through this? Did it get better?
Carl Vilar

Post by Carl Vilar »

Howard don't give up my dad also had a mild one too a few years back he's 82 now and he was back to normal pretty quick. you just got to keep on picking no matter how clumsy it feels it will be back to normal in no time.
JCH 9/7
1971 Blond Twin Reverb 15" custom
Randall Steel Man 500
Dick Sexton

Often wondered..

Post by Dick Sexton »

I've heard it said,(TV) that it can be a hazzard to ride an airplane for a long flight and not get up for extended periods to move around. Something to do with the cirulation in your legs and lower extremities and blood clots. Makes sence, I think. I for one sit behind my steel for very long periods, I get up and move around when my rear begins to tell me to. I've repadded my pac-a-seat to help with the problem, but it really doesn't seem to matter or help that much. How many steel player do we know who have had health problems, ie. stroke or similar. Has anyone even asked or done a study of the numbers. The older we get, I'm 65 this year, the poorer our circulation is for the most part. Could there be a connection between the study of steel and strokes, blood clots. Something to think about. I'm curious what the numbers are, steel players who have had strokes. I know a few of you are doctors. What do you say? Howard, I wish you a quick and full recovery.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Keep playing. It's excellent fine motor therapy. If you don't use it....you lose it!
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Howard, I think playing would help. I hope you're back to 100% real soon.

Take care,

Tim
Roland Buras
Location: Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA

Post by Roland Buras »

Hey Howard, sorry to hear about this my friend. i know you will pull through. our prayers or with you. keep on playing, im sure it is very good therapy for mind as well as hands. hope to see you soon.

R J Buras
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

Howard,

I am sorry to hear this news and wish you
all the best. Confide in your Doctor and
follow his advice.

I have a guitar friend who had a similar
experience and it took some time for him
to get back to normal...and he did just that
and his playing has not been affected at all.

I just said a prayer for you buddy.

God bless.

Roy
Custom Tabs Various Tunings
Courses Lap Steel, Pedal Steel
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Howard, you have to keep playing. The co-ordination of hands and feet is good therapy. As they say, if you don't use it you lose it. Here's hoping for a quick recovery... :)
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I feel sure that you are now on some meds. It may take awhile to get your meds adjusted. Keep doing all you can do this will help define the way the meds are to be adjusted.......it has been a while with me but am getting a lot better almost feel younger........
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Dick, I don't think there is any connection between playing steel and stroke or poor circulation in the legs. Even though we are sitting down, we are moving both feet and both knees. Also, it is not a cramped position, the way it is on airplanes. Of course, if you are sitting for long periods of time, you are not really getting any serious exercise during that time. Like anybody else, we need some real exercise and we need to watch our diet and our weight. Use it or lose it is the rule; and that includes all body parts and our minds.
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

Howard.....a year ago this past summer, I, too had some mini-strokes....it was pretty scarry, but I recovered, and got on medications to control those TIA's (mini-strokes)......So, my friend,....don't quit, because, as Bro. RJ said, "it's great therapy both mentally and physically"......and go and see our good friend T.A. Gibson. Wishing you the best, and our prayers are with you...........HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Howard, I'm sorry to hear this news. I agree with the others that you should keep playing, even if only as therapy. You don't have to play gigs, necessarily, if you don't feel up to par, but play at home with rhythm tracks etc. to keep your hand and brain in the game.

All best wishes and hope you'll be all right and ready again soon.
Jim
Tobie Schalkwyk

Re: Stroke

Post by Tobie Schalkwyk »

Howard Tate wrote:Have a lot of you been through this? Did it get better?
Nic du Toit (co-forumite) had quite a bad one not too long ago. I believe his determination to play the steel helped him getting back on track against all odds. AFAIK he still feels the affects of it - you would not say that if you listen to his music. Maybe he can tell us more about his current status.
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

I have very good friend who is a pianist and electric bass man and he had a mild stroke last summer. He had some problem navigating the ivories and/or the bass strings for about five months after the strok but he refused to let it stop him. He practiced for many hours to get the automatic motor system back to almost where it was before the stroke.

He plays a six string bass by the way.
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Howard,
I'm sure it's frustrating for you at this point, but please try to keep picking every day and hopefully you'll regain it all and then some...wishing you the very best, Carl :)
Last edited by Carl Williams on 7 Aug 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

Howard
Keep picking even if it's only at home with tracks.
Like what was said if you don't use it. You lose it.
Herbie fought it and he is on his way back.
Best to you and your recovery.
Don
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

Hang in there my friend. Hal, Buck, Royce & Danny need a steelman over there in Louisiana to keep'em on there toes.
Carroll Hale

Re: Stroke

Post by Carroll Hale »

Howard Tate wrote:I had a strange episode two weeks ago, got up at night for the restroom and couldn't navigate. C.T.scan results show I had a stroke. It must have been pretty mild, I'm doing well, but feel very clumsy on my steel. I've played one gig since it happened and was very uncomfortable playing. The band said I played OK but I'm not so sure. Lot of mistakes. I think I may quit, at least for a while. I just don't feel myself, and don't want to play out for now. Have a lot of you been through this? Did it get better?
dont give up...playing is one of the best ways to recuperate your neuro/motor skills......get your brain and your fingers talking to each other again...you may be "out of sync" for a while, but will be back to "close to normal" soon...best wishes..ch (across the sabine in jasper cty tx)
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Hi Howard...just want to chime in with all the other well wishers. Keep on keepin' on at whatever pace feels comfortable to you man. Just try not to let depression keep you from what you love. Have you heard the Pat Martino story?

http://www.jazzguitarlife.com/blog/2007 ... tary-2007/

All the best...

Rick
Dennis Lee

Bless You Howard!

Post by Dennis Lee »

Your steel skills are still there, they will return completely. I am a believer in vitamins, minerals, herbs and supplements. Consider visiting a naturopath and having them recommend some natural things to help you in your recovery. Stay positive!
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

Yes, by all means stay positive and hang in there Howard, and keep on pickin. I hope you will be back to your old self real soon.
Mike
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

Howard, sorry to hear about this. Know that you are in my prayers.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Howard,
I just noticed this post, good advice from everyone...Above all, don't give up on your playing, even if only at home. Sometimes we are our own worst critic when it comes to our ability. Hang in there, prayers, and best wishes...

Bill
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Thanks, you guys are great. The stroke was very mild, I just have a bit of tingling in my hands and arms but I'm doing very well. I turned down a gig for this weekend, just want to stay home. I played a bit this morning and while I felt awkward it wasn't too bad. I'm just going to take it easy for a while, and try to start some healthier habits including exercise and diet. I sure appreciate your concern. I have more friends since joining the forum than I've ever had.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

hi howard...i'm only sixty (ha) and not feeling like playing that much due to laziness, leukemia, and some pain in my ear and throat the doc can't figure out. so wouldn't you know it, now everyone's calling me with good gigs! i'm just doing as much as i feel like....kinda hoping my energy will pick up a little down the line....do as much as you feel like. good luck and health!!