I'm lost tuning my ten string non pedal in A6th

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Warren Morrisett

I'm lost tuning my ten string non pedal in A6th

Post by Warren Morrisett »

I'm a newbie, God such a newbie. I'm tryng to tune my ten string non pedal in Remington's A6, F# A C# E F# A C# E. Aside from what to do about the two lowest strings, I am completly befuddled. I keep popping strings when I try to tune strings an octave from each other. It seems that when I tune the top string to E and then go an octave lower for the 5th sting E, either the 5th string is too darn low, or the 1st string is so high it pops. Am I making myself clear? Seems theres no happy medium and I keep busting strings and keep Bobby Lee busy ordering more. I know I'm missing something here. I've ordered the gauges that were suggested as correct for Remington style tuningand I'm using a chromatic tuner. Can someone help me out here. :whoa:
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Hi Warren,
Try this 10 string A6 tuning with these gauges:
E - .015
C# - .018
A - .022
F# - .026
E - .030
C# - .034
A - .042
F# - .056
D - .060
A - .070

I don't know why you're breaking strings.
What kind of guitar is it, and what is the scale length?
Do they always break at the nut, or at the bridge?
Bill Brummett

Post by Bill Brummett »

My 10 string "Herbie" A6 pedal steel(a 24" Remington Sustainmaster) set up is very similar to the guages Rick showed. On the lower octave, I go just a teeny bit heavier. Here's mine(note that I use an E on #9 instead of D, but I use the same guage string. I also use these gauges on my T8 26" Stringmaster on the A6 neck and I've never had a broken string.

E .014
C# .018
A .022
F# .026
E .032
C# .038
A .044
F# .054
E .060
A .070
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

The D on the 9th string is optional - E would be the correct pitch for a true A6 tuning,
but the D gives you a big Maj7 chord and more harmonic possibilities.
You can easily use both.

On my top neck I use an E6 tuning with an A on the bottom, which is relatively the same thing.
Sometimes I raise it to B, it just depends.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Why not add two "chromatics" (inside out add-on strings) on top instead the two bottom notes. A6th can be somewhat muddy anyways as JB's C6th top three string intervals are set back a minor third.

Check out pedal E9th and Maurice Anderson's C6th "chromatic".

... J-D.
Bill Brummett

Post by Bill Brummett »

When I want to use that approach, I just use the E9th neck. To each his own, but I just prefer to keep the A6th and C6th tunigs pretty much standard.
Warren Morrisett

Post by Warren Morrisett »

I wish I knew what the problem was, but I'll try the larger gauge strings and hope that solves it.

Warren
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Warren,welcome,try what Rick said,You are proberly breaking strings because you don't have the right gauges.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Rick Aiello

Re: I'm lost tuning my ten string non pedal in A6th

Post by Rick Aiello »

Warren Morrisett wrote:I keep popping strings when I try to tune strings an octave from each other.

It seems that when I tune the top string to E and then go an octave lower for the 5th sting E, either the 5th string is too darn low, or the 1st string is so high it pops.

Am I making myself clear?

I'm using a chromatic tuner.

Can someone help me out here.

I wish I knew what the problem was, but I'll try the larger gauge strings and hope that solves it.
Sounds like you are having issues with the correct octaves each string should be tuned to ...

Try using this site ...

http://www.get-tuned.com/guitar_tuner.php

It allows you to choose the appropriate notes (click on the little circles) ... in the correct octaves ...

Then it will play that note ... so you can match it up with your steel/chromatic tuner.

From high to low ... using the designations on that site*

E is E5 ... (same as a high E on a regular guitar)

C# is C#5

A is A4

F# is F#4

E is E4 ...

C# is C#4

A is A3 ... (same as the A string on a regular guitar)

F# is F#3

E is E3 ... (same as low E on a regular guitar)

A is A2 ...

Once you get this done ... I.E. tuning up using Equal Temperament ... and are not snapping any more strings ...

We can discuss tuning w/o that tuner (or MIDI generator that I linked to) ... but first things first ;-) :lol:

* Disclaimer:

I used the designations for the octaves ... E5, A4, etc ... that the above online tuner used.

In physics texts:

C4 (middle C) is 261.626 Hz
E4 (the high E string on a guitar) is 329.628 Hz
A4 is 440 Hz
E5 is 659.255 Hz
Etc ...