Interesting guitar on Ebay!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

David Higginbotham

Interesting guitar on Ebay!

Post by David Higginbotham »

They say necessity is the mother of invention! Can't say I've seen anything like this before.

ebay.com/Steel-guitar
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Pretty interesting, but totally not practical for live use - unless you like taking a Black and Decker workbench to a gig!
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Pete Woronowski

Post by Pete Woronowski »

Hmmnn,might make a good gift for the mother in-law......
Mullen Royal Precision
bob Ousby

Post by bob Ousby »

Yabba Dabba Doo...Wilma!
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Kind of a "Space Saver" Stringmaster?
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

it's a gatling steel!
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

One of Hank Williams earliest steel guitarists, Neal McCormick, played a 'rotisserie steel' like this.

I wonder whether it's coincidence that the builder of the ebay steel has the same surname.

~Russ
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

"It has four different tunes."
I only know 4 tunes, so this would be great for me.
"This is item is used but in great shape."
I don't see how it could have been used frequently.
It's shape is kind of hard to characterize.

If I were a rich man, I'd buy up everyone of these old masters and display them in a barn, 'The Funky and the Defunkt.'
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Why the hydraulic hose?
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Russ,
To make it even more interesting, Neal was also from Florida and had a daughter. Don Helms played in his band (played guitar & substituted for him occassionaly on steel), for awhile. I'd almost bet if Mr. Don was feeling better, he could shed some light on this steel and its history/builder/owner.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Try and fit pedals to it... :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
Last edited by Alan Brookes on 13 Sep 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I'd put a chicken on the E9 neck, a whole salmon on the C6 neck, a half rack of baby backs on the A, a rock cornish hen on the E13 neck.......and invite ya'll over for a BBQ.........
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Mmmm mmmm... I'll be there.

Maybe the hydraulic hose has something to do with the rotisserie function? :eek:
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

That would be a great piece to set up @ the ISGC for the onstage, improvised jam set. Let's see Coxface get something outta that sweetheart :lol:
if anyone could though, it'd be him......
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

That's right Charlie, unfortunatly it's used.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

it ain't nuthin' if you can't cook :whoa:
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

That would be a great piece to set up @ the ISGC for the onstage, improvised jam set. Let's see Coxface get something outta that sweetheart
if anyone could though, it'd be him......
Nice if he could do that blindfolded, and for Scotty to give it a nice swing every 16 bars :)
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Whew! I think I'm gonna pass out!

Look away, it's hideous!

Kindlin!

>:-)
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

It's the Thunderlog. See this discussion...

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/004461.html

I suggested the same principle several years before, and planned to build one, but never got round to it. :(
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

It would fit in nicely with ZZ Top
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

b0b

Post by b0b »

Just received via email from Darrell Day:
My name is Derrell Day and I live in Panama City, FL. I am writing to you because of a website "Steel Guitar Forum", I came across while trying to find copies of a book entitled "The Man Behind the Scenes". It is a biography of a family friend, Neal "Pappy" McCormick. You may recognize the name in connection with the "Contraption".... a four sided steel guitar that Pappy built. You alluded to the fact that someone may have "collaborated" with Pappy on the design and construction. You are correct.

My father, Charlie Day, Jr. was a close friend of Pappy's and Daddy was an excellent woodworker and tinkerer. Pappy approached Daddy in the early forties about the need for a steel guitar that could easily be tuned for several keys. The crowds on the circuit around here at the time loved the sound of the electric guitar but Pappy was only able to effectively play songs/requests in the key the guitar was tuned to. He also did a lot of local radio and early TV shows that really squeezed the time for retuning his instrument.

Daddy did all the engineering and woodwork then turned it over to Pappy for electronics and stringing. Pappy played the Contraption for years and finally loaned it to Roy Acuff's Opryland Museum. Pappy was also the first musician to play an electric instrument on WSM Radio's Grand Ole' Opry. Pappy finally recalled the Contraption and played it till retirement. I believe it to be back in the Opryland Museum now.

My mother, Mildred Day was an occasional back-up singer with Pappy when he was on local radio and TV shows and an early comedic "hillbilly girl' that set the template for the "hick" girls we would see later on Hee-Haw. Blacked-out teeth and freckles.

A young Hank Williams would get his start playing in the "Hawaiian Troubadours", Pappy's band. They got the name from the "Hawaiian sound" that Pappy's steel guitar would make.

Unfortunately, we lost Daddy the day before Thanksgiving this year.

Respectfully,

Derrell Day
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Thanks for posting that b0b and thanks to Derrell for filling us in.
Chris Drew

Post by Chris Drew »

It's stuff like this that makes the SGF one of the best places on the internet.
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

This thread was interesting to stumble over. My father lives about 45 miles northeast of Pensacola. When I was there visiting a couple of years ago, my father's very close friend Gerald McCormick took me and my father to see a cousin of his named Wilmer McCormick and until I got there all I knew was that he was a musician. As it turned out he played steel. AND, he showed us a couple of those 4 sided steel contraptions!! One he had built himself and the other one he got from someone else (I don't recall who he got it from). I had never seen one before or since, until I ran across this thread. The really interesting part is that he was also a McCormick as well. I don't know the familiy background, so not sure if he would be related or not. He was around my father's age I would guess, so he would have been around 68-73 at the time. I know Wilmer and even my father's buddy Gerald had been playing country music for many years, but not sure who all they might have been connected with. Wow, what a coincidence. Anyone happen to know if Wilmer McCormick would have been related to the "Pappy" McCormick mentioned above?

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.