Song titled: Its a long way from Tennessee to Texas

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Duane Becker

Song titled: Its a long way from Tennessee to Texas

Post by Duane Becker »

Anybody have a copy of this song. I think its a Johnny Bush song and it has great steel rides in it. Recorded back in the 70's. I'd like to have the album title and number so that I can try and find it. Thanks...
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

I remember hearing that record; it is Johnny Bush and has both Emmons and Chalker trading C6th solos. I spent years looking for it but never found it; hope you have better luck than I did! I think it came out on RCA if that helps...
sonbone

Post by sonbone »

From Johnny Bush's web site:

http://www.johnnybush.com/merchandise.html

Track 22 on Greatest Hits Volume 1
Sonny Morris sjm227@hotmail.com
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I got the CD from him in Dallas, There is an insert that says Emmons and Chalker were featured together on five songs, but not on that one. It was Weldon Myrick. Lot of good listening on that CD.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I have this song on a 45 record. Chalker and Emmons tore it up swapping breaks on this one.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

That's the one I remember from years ago but could never find, I'm not sure that version was ever on an album but I remember the (RCA?) single.

If that's Weldon on the version that's on the "Greatest Hits" CD he sure does an incredible job of playing Chalker's style (not that that's a surprise!).
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

That's the one, I remember hearing it on the local radio stations back in the 70's but never could find it at the stores. Thanks!!!
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

Well I haven't heard that in 30+ years I guess but it was sure the talk of the steel guitar community (such as it was at the time) when it came out and I'd be willing to bet, Howard that in this case it's the liner notes that are wrong.
Jay
Don Sowersby

Johnny Bush

Post by Don Sowersby »

It is on the "Greatist Hits" CD but it is only Chalker playing steel. There are others on that CD with both Emmons and Chalker.

I talked to Johnny and it is available at johnnybush.com as Sonbone posted.

Don
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

The cut I have is with Johnny Gimble on fiddle and Chalker on steel. Jody.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

I got the CD from him in Dallas, There is an insert that says Emmons and Chalker were featured together on five songs, but not on that one. It was Weldon Myrick
Now I'm really confused... I just bought that greatest hits CD that's listed on the website and on the one I got there is no insert and no credits at all. A lot of the stuff sounds like Weldon for sure, but there are two songs (not five) with both Chalker and Emmons; "Secret Love" and "Home in San Antone" (which has been available for years on a Rhino "Country Guitar" CD). And the version of "From Tennessee to Texas" has Chalker (or a damn good imitation) but not Emmons. There must have been two versions released, with a different one on the single (not that uncommon).

Herb Steiner, are you out there? I'll bet you know...
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

The insert that came with my CD is confusing. I listened to the song again and it really sounds like Chalker. Some of the songs I expected to sound like typical Chalker and Emmons sound more like Myrick. Of course they do not always play those signature licks on every song. Remember those sweet simple fills from the Wilburn Brothers show that Curly played?
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

We have it on our CD "The Jazzabillies" featuring Dave Owens on vocals. www.jazzabillies.com
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

Pete,
Your memory seems to be the same as mine on this, surely somebody out there has that old 45 around somewhere? The brief clip on the JB website just about gets the song up to the break and fades out.
Hope all is going well for you these days.
Jay

Whoops I guess I should read these posts a little more carefully as Darvin says he does have the 45 and confirms it is C and E. I thought the version on the JB website clip seemed a little cleaned up from the way I recall the song anyway but it has been a long time.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

When I was listening to the TN to TX song years back, I always thought that it was Chalker only. Even back then I could tell Emmons and Chalker apart pretty well. Although I havent heard the song in a number of years, I still remember hearing only the Chalker sound and chords on that cut-these days called track. But you know, I could be wrong...
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I just dug out my old 45's of Johnny Bush. On Tennessee to Texas, it was only Curley on steel. On Home in San Antone, it was Buddy and Curley both. It had been so long since I had had them out, I had forgotten.

The flip side of T to T is Toy Telephone, and the flip side of Home, is I Can Feel Him Touching You. I don't know who was playing on these, I'll hook up my turntable and listen to them in the next few days.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.