Harmos Pedal Steel played by Robert Randolph

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Scott

Post by Larry Scott »

b0b wrote:I just think it's ugly.
DON'T LOOK LIKE NO WILLY :lol:
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.
I think this design addresses some of the inherent weaknesses of the instrument. Space frames can be more rigid than solid structures.
It might look better if it were called a GFI or Lone Star. I'd have one in a minute.
If I didn't have to get rid of my maple MSA to get it....
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

No crossrods, except for mounting the knee levers. No bellcranks. Probably no cabinet drop either. I'd like to see the changer close up.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I had the pleasure of working on this guitar about 7-8 years ago with Sage when he was out in LA as Robert's tech. It was a prototype and had some issues however it was at Robert's urging that he tackled a project like this he deserves a ton of credit for his innovations.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

So Jim,,,, tell me if any of my guesses were right. Hard to tell from a relatively small pic, and no info.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Because it was so long ago and my memory isn't what I wish it was, some of the details escape me. As I recall- and from looking at the pic- I don't believe it folded up but did come apart fairly easily. Also I don't recall it having cross-shafts/bellcranks, etc. We did have some discussions about building a "drop-in" frame whereby it could be played as a lap steel or dropped into a preset frame arrangement and snapped into place allowing for it to become a pedal steel however those musings never became more than a concept. It had fantastic sustain and was extremely light.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Thanks Jim! From looking at the way things were held n place with those wheels thingies, it looked to me as if it would fold up.
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

Jim P,
....did you have occassion to play some country style E9 on it, if in fact the tuning and setup permitted such? Im quite curious about its inherient amplified tone, sans FX. Thanks in advance.
MC
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I really didn't play it, Mike- just made some parts, etc and then went to the studio to fuss with it. As I recall the pedals were similar to the Carter Starter channels and the knees were the same and the feel was kinda mushy. That being said - all of Sage's guitars absolutely sing and resonate forever- the amplified sound being a bit too "sterile" for my personal taste but perhaps that was due to the Lollar pickups being wound a bit too lightly for my taste.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I kind of like the way it looks. It's just absurd looking enough to appeal to my appreciation of the bizarre.

Does it have any knee levers?
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

http://www.harmosmusic.com/EG/indexEG.htm

Now we're cookin'! Stratocasters and Les Pauls are officially declared obsolete. :P
Buck Dilly

Post by Buck Dilly »

When the PianoForte came out. JS Bach called it a gimmick (whatever the German word is for Gimmick, anyway.) I am a big Fan of both new and wierd.
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the 411. :wink:
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

richard burton wrote:Spot the similarity with my home-built steel circa 1984 ;-)
How did it sound?
Was the pedal action as smooth as with rods and cranks?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Larry Scott wrote:
b0b wrote:I just think it's ugly.
DON'T LOOK LIKE NO WILLY :lol:
Looks like The Terminator's willy!

:mrgreen: