Help-No Color in UTube Playbacks

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Joe Law

Help-No Color in UTube Playbacks

Post by Joe Law »

When I Play Back My saved Utubes they are in Black & White, no color, no matter what I playback with, Windows Media Player or Winamp.

I generally save them to a seperate drive on computer but no color in playback.

I suspect some program has changed some setting without my knowledge,but for the life of me can't get it back , some help from any of you would be greatly appreciated.

Windows XL Pro , using Mozilla Firefox.
Wiz Feinberg

Re: Help-No Color in UTube Playbacks

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Joe Law wrote:When I Play Back My saved Utubes they are in Black & White, no color, no matter what I playback with, Windows Media Player or Winamp.

Windows XL Pro , using Mozilla Firefox.
There's your problem Joe - you need to upgrade Windows from XL to XP! ;-)
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Joe Law

No Color on Utubes

Post by Joe Law »

Sorry Wiz,a mistake of AGE, I AM using Windows XP Pro.
Now lets go from there
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Hey Joe--sorry for your frustrations. Quite simply, I haven't a clue. Never heard of this problem and I wouldn't know where to start.....I saw your post when you first put it up and all I could think to say was "if they are Three Stooges youtubes then they are black & white to begin with so there's nothing wrong." But somehow I thought that might not be seen as helpful. :o
Good luck.
Jon Moen

Post by Jon Moen »

What is your process for saving the Youtube files?
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

It is probably caused because your computer is missing a required codec for color video playback. Check the website from which you got your downloader, converter and playback utility - for Flash movies. They start life as .flv files and are usually converted into .avi movies, which allows them to playback in WMP. If you lack the codec used for color conversion you will only get black and white rendering. There should be some mention of this where you got the converter module.

Most codecs are available at www.free-codecs.com, usually in the form of codec packs, or replacement players with required codecs included.
Security Consultant
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Joe Law

UTube color problem

Post by Joe Law »

Thanks for all your replies especially for your time to reply.Wiz,thanks I will use your solution as I get the time.

To Jon Moen, I download and save them with Easy Video Downloader as .avi files to a seperate harddrive just for this purpose of saving the files I like most.After I save them I generally play the file once to make sure that I have it.

Everything has gone smoothly until recently and I just haven't had the time to check into the problem an thought some of you could give me a quick solution.

I have converted some of the files to a DVD in the past and everything was ok,just noticed it recently when I went to make a current DVD. I also have a video program whereby I can see TV on my computer and it is now also in black and white or rather light pastels,just as the UTubes are now.

The only activity I've had as far as adding new programs has been to try some of the recent programs that Wiz has suggested ,hence the theory that they might have changed some of my settings.
Wiz Feinberg

Re: UTube color problem

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Joe Law wrote:I have converted some of the files to a DVD in the past and everything was ok,just noticed it recently when I went to make a current DVD. I also have a video program whereby I can see TV on my computer and it is now also in black and white or rather light pastels,just as the UTubes are now.

The only activity I've had as far as adding new programs has been to try some of the recent programs that Wiz has suggested ,hence the theory that they might have changed some of my settings.
This is sounding more and more like your playback system is missing a video codec responsible for streaming color content. You might try out the K-lite Codec Pack, at free-codecs.com. It contains most codecs in common use, past and present, but not the alternative Real, Quicktime and Media player Classic players.

If that doesn't fix the problem uninstall the codec pack and look into updating your video drivers, for whatever video chip or card you have. It might could be that a recent Windows Update has altered the video performance.
<strike>
Then, dread that I say it in hushed undertones, if this is happening on a Windows Vista Premium or Ultimate computer, oh shudder the thought, it may be degrading the video you are recording and playing, because the OS thinks you haven't acquired the proper licenses to play it back in full definition and color.</strike>

I re-read your OP and see that you use XP Pro, not Vista. It is not video censorship, at least not from the OS itself.
Security Consultant
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

The program you mentioned looks like it uses the Xvid codec.

I would start by replacing the codec like Wiz said. Here's one place you can get the Xvid codec.

If that doesn't help try using VLC to play them, I think it comes with its own set of codecs that it uses internally, and it definitely comes with Xvid.

VLC is a good program for video playback regardless. A little spartan, but that's how I like 'em.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

The VLC Player John mentioned is available from Free-Codecs.com and is listed on the home page and left sidebar.
Security Consultant
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Joe Law;
If this indeed turns out to be a missing codec issue please let us know that adding a particular codec fixed the problem.

This issue of requiring missing codecs to play some desired special content is also exploited by the authors of the Zlob Trojan. In virtually all instances of manual infection the victim is told they need to download or install a video codec or video ActiveX Object, to view a movie that lured them there. Caution should be used when downloading codecs. Always scan your downloaded files for viruses or Trojans before opening or installing them.

Hmmm. All your codec are belong to us!
Security Consultant
Joe Law

No Color in Saved Utube Playback

Post by Joe Law »

To All of you that have responded I thank you but, the problem is still with me.

1. I uninstalled the XP Codec pack which I had in the beginning, and re-installed it, no luck.

2. I uninstalled the XP Pack and installed the K-Lite Pack- no Luck.

3. Installed the VLC program as John recommended and it played them in black and white as was being done with the other programs.

4 Uninstalled Easy Video Downloader and all the programs which I had installed BUT, the XP Pack,still no color.

You understand that if I play directly from UTube they are in color as they are supposed to be. It only affects the files that I save. When I play the saved files ,they play back in black and white.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

For what little it's worth---I use Firefox browser and I use the DownloadHelper add-on as my Youtube saver. My own problem of not having sound with streaming media including Youtube continues but the saved downloads are just fine (and in living color!).
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

Well, maybe there's some problem with easy video downloader? Like Jon Light said, it's not the only way to download videos from youtube.

FWIW, I just downloaded Easy Video Downloader, the Xvid codec, and VLC, installed them all on XP and the video was in color. Sorry :)