Harmos Pedal Steel played by Robert Randolph

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

Very interesting. I would really like to hear what it's "clean" tone is like....
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Reminds me of a set of electric drums.
Alex Shapcott

Post by Alex Shapcott »

He used that steel on his 2003 album unclassified for a couple of tracks, I don't think he's used it since. I seem to remember someone saying there were a few problems that needed sorting out with it. It just wasn't quite right.

It's also been pointed out many times before, he does use the pedals and levers, but much of his music is just major chords(nothing wrong with that), and others he doesn't need a lever to get. I've seen plenty of video of him laying into his RKR lever and his b pedal. There will be a reason why he has all those pedals, I've only got 2 pedals and 3 levers hooked up on my e7 steel, because that's all I use, but if he wants more, good for him.

I also recall that Jerry Fessenden had to make a new style of pedal rod mount, because he kept sheering them off the side of the pedal. So he must be using them. ;-)
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

I think Harmos may have something with the cable pull system. I wish there were more pictures of the underside.
The guitar's construction appears to be first-rate, with a lot of good endorsees. And while they use carbon fiber in the frame, they do it without referencing that "other" steel guitar company.
And the tilt on the fretboard would make it the perfect guitar for RR's great riffage!!!
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Spot the similarity with my home-built steel circa 1984 ;-)

Jani Peter Sandvik

Post by Jani Peter Sandvik »

geee that was some fantastic playing on randolphs page :twisted: :twisted: i like that funky style there !!
hell yeah!!
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

chill, Jerry never stated HE or anyone else could play better that RR, what he said was , and he is correct, RR's style of playing and what he plays can be done on a basic 6 or 8 string NO pedal tuning. This is not a diss on RR it is a statement made about the GUITAR, music and tuning used. Jerry , like many, hears the music and can relate it to the tuning and pulls used if any. After years of playing music and understanding there Instrument, this is what established players do.

Jerry is correct and it has nothing to do with RR's playing, he is talking about the Instrument, the style and the tuning. The posted clips are fun to listen to, I enjoy RR's playing , but I gotta be honest, the more I listen to RR the more I think of Duane Allman and Johnny Winter playing slide ! RR does have a nice alternate picking thing going on which is where his single not riffs come from, alternate picking like in SPEED Pickin"...

Learn the basic INSIDE C6th tuning and positions on the lower ten and you will be right on target.

Regarding the Instrument, if you guys and RR like it, fine by me, for my taste it looks to convoluted and problem prone. My physics class always taught me that a fixed solid piece (rod) used to enable motion of another plane is way more stable than a flexible moving part( cable ) used to enable motion to the same plane. Hence TWO moving parts is not better than one ! Fender 400 anyone ?

Happy Tuesday

tp
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Richard, you are a man ahead of his time. Does it sound like a ZB? I agree with Tony on the physics of that guitar. I don't think its going to be a big seller. Someone's wet dream.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I just think it's ugly.
Richard Chapman

Post by Richard Chapman »

+1 on B0b's comment. It looks like an erector set creation.
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

Tony, out of respect for b0b, I won't be answering your post here other than to say I disagree :mrgreen: Now as to the use of cables vs rods...

I'm playing with a drummer right now who uses a high-hat that is cable driven. I know that the old Fender cable system is not the same sort of thing. Is there a reason that bicycle-style cables wouldn't work? I like the idea of being able to place the pedals where they're comfortable, instead of cranking my left foot over all the time!
Primitive Utility Steel
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Twayn, nobody has to agree with me, the rigid rods vs flex cables is still a physics thing, if it works , fine by me !I hope it does !

regarding the playing ,I hear what others hear,open tuning kool phrases, I'm not dissing it , I just hear much of those phrases in an open tuning such as C6, actually, like many here, I play a lot of Blues phrases out of the open C6 tuning and the AB Pedals down position ( A6 I believe) on the E9th. RR plays this stuff very well, don't take this as a diss.
Last edited by Tony Prior on 15 Jul 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I agree with that! I don't dislike RR's playing as I've always been a fan of blues and rock and he is a formidable player in his field, just a statement wondering why he needed such a fully equipped guitar to do it....He does stand up and dance and all which is good for his show, however, I did watch an Austin City Limits show of his where he could have used a lapsteel for everything he played.....

As far as this particular guitar, I'd like to see one up close and perhaps try it out at some point. With the cable operated pedals and all it might be something to look at if someone wanted to play standing up or with their floor pedals in a different position than on a standard pedal board across the front. With the flex of the cables a pedal apparatus such as what Phil Baugh used would be nice as you could position it anywhere you wanted...........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

richard burton
Spot the similarity with my home-built steel circa 1984
I think somebody stole your invention. I like it. You wouldn't dare play "Mansion On A Hill" with that baby.
Michael Strauss

Post by Michael Strauss »

Does anyone know how much it costs and weighs? I looked at the site and only saw the lap steels.
Carter S-12U, Sho-Bud LGD (80's), Fender Jazz King, Korg Pandora Toneworks PX4D, Modulus Q6, Ampeg B5R, Lapstick Travel Guitar mod to lapsteel
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Im sure with time there will be some builders who will make guitars different in apearance from old,traditional looking guitars, MSA Millenium was one step in that direction and this is just a step further.This instrument may have a market for it, not only people who love country music will necessery play that steel, they may play a heavy metal or punk and in that situation I can see this guitar fit in much better than let say, a natural maple push pull Promat or any other traditional instrument. It looks futuristic, but how does it actually perform I don`t know, can you play a Blue Jade on it like Buddy does it? I don`t know, but people who buy this guitar may not even know who Buddy or Lloyd are, maybe 50 years from now most punk bands will have this instrument on the stage....who knows
Db
Last edited by Damir Besic on 16 Jul 2008 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ernie Pollock

Wow!!

Post by Ernie Pollock »

Speaking of U-G-L-Y, that guitar wrote the book on it!! I would not be caught dead playing that thing & I am sure I have a lot of company on that statement!!

Ernie :whoa:
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Actually if we read the website, this is a prototype guitar and there is NO information about it other than a couple of pictures and RR playing it. Kinda hard to make any comparisons/judgments at this time.

There is some information regarding the standard Steel models, 6,7 and 8 string, but ZERO information regarding the Pedal Guitar in the photo.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I'd play it! Looks like some great design innovations. It looks to me as if the guitar folds up, and probably goes into a gig bag. The side legs fold in, and the guitar body folds down. You don't have to assemble it or take it apart. That's pretty cool! If I'm right.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

if you are right , it's all speculation until the manufacturer describes the Instrument. Do we even know of there are knee levers ?
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

its ugly, but the idea is nothing new. In theory, it appears quite similar to the very cool cable-pedal system that Mr. Franklin Sr. designed and built for Phil Baugh.
Id be curious to try an E9 10 string, 2 pedal version of the Harmos behemoth though, just for kicks. Who knows what it might sound like w/o distortion fx?
Sure would have loved to have access to one of those while I was still with Price, just to set it up for soundcheck and watch his reaction to it. :)
I would think that unless your the star of the show the Harmos as such would be fairly distracting, sitting there in all its glory on someone eles stage.
Overall, it rather reminds me of the used cable drawer in my music room.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

It's pretty obvious from where the big thumb wheels are located, and by the general design, that it does fold up. I can see at least three knee levers.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Perhaps Joe Savage could tell us something about this guitar???
Look under "musicians", and "samples." Joe plays all the samples for their lapsteels.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Portions of this topic have been moved to the Steel Players section: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=138064
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video