1951/52 Gibson Les Paul

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Al Risbeck

1951/52 Gibson Les Paul

Post by Al Risbeck »

Is anyone interested in a pre serial # Les Paul I believe it is called a Goldtop worth about $20,000.00?
If so please email me or call 303-901-1449
Rick Hulett

Post by Rick Hulett »

Well yeah, I'm completely and totally interested. There's just the little matter of $20,000. I'd still love to see a picture though.
Derby D10, Hilton, Peavey 112
Al Risbeck

Pictures

Post by Al Risbeck »

Hi Rick, I'm not the owner of it, it belongs to a friend in Colorado Springs who has serious health problems (he 80 yrs old) and it's sale is being handled by a family member. By the way are you any relation to a Frank Hulett that I played steel for in Des Moines Iowa years ago?

Al
Ben Edmonds

Post by Ben Edmonds »

Hi Al, PM me please I may have a serious buyer, thanks. I need pics.
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

Al, you might be doing your friends a great help by contacting George Gruhn in Nashville, He could provide them with an accurate appraisal, and might even be an interested buyer himself.
Rick Hulett

Post by Rick Hulett »

Al,

As far as I know I'm not related, but the spelling is a bit unusual so you never know.

Rick
Derby D10, Hilton, Peavey 112
Mike Thomas

1952 Lp

Post by Mike Thomas »

There is a very nice (mint) 1952 Les Paul on ebay now for $23K (ish).

If the one you mention is mint, I am assuming he can sell it higher to a private party than to a dealer that will offer him 10-12K.

I also think unless it's mint, he'll have a hard time getting 20K in a private sale.
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

Here it is.

IMHO, it's a bad time to be selling a "non blue chip" vintage guitar. Trapeze tailpiece LP's are worth nowhere near what their wrap tail or ABR siblings are.

Personally, I LOVE 52 LP's!!!!!
Last edited by Mike Thomas on 17 Jul 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The market is a little depressed right now, so "Book Price" would probably be from $12k-$18k. (At Gruhn's, you'd probably pay twice that.) The original case, in excellent shape, might bring 2 to 3 grand! :whoa:

In the end, how much it brings will depend largely on how fast the owner wants it sold.
Al Risbeck

on hold

Post by Al Risbeck »

I didn't expect quite so much interest in this and I'm in Iowa, the guitar in Colorado. As I explained in a reply to Rick it's a friends guitar and I don't have pictures with me.I am going back to Colorado to play a couple of fair dates the 1st of August so if you'll all
bare with me I'll get more information on condition etc. And put pictures on this post. I do know he's the original owner and has the bill of sale and original case. He also is very particular about his gear so I'm sure it is in good condition. He has played gigs with me in the past and played it but I really never paid that much attention (always busy tuning my steel !!!!) thanks for your patience.

Al
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I picked up one exactly like that for $125 in a pawn shop in Richmond VA in 1967 and played it for a few years - then gave it away to a picker friend who was down on his luck and needed a guitar. Who knew?
Paul Hirschmann

Post by Paul Hirschmann »

al, if you or your friend can, check out the september issue of vintage guitar magazine, page 85.
mandolin bros. have a 1954 goldtop for $42,500.
get a good appraisal. paul
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

The '54 is a bit different. Stoptail tail piece vs. trapeze, for one thing. I believe the '54s will bring a fair bit more. Plus Mando Bros. is generally pushing the envelope, even more than many dealers, IMO.
"...An admission of interest in protracted commentary is certainly no reason to capitalize on surmised aberations that do not exist." - BH
b0b

Post by b0b »

Mike Thomas wrote:Here it is.

click here

Here is another
click here

IMHO, it's a bad time to be selling a "non blue chip" vintage guitar. Trapeze tailpiece LP's are worth nowhere near what their wrap tail or ABR siblings are.

Personally, I LOVE 52 LP's!!!!!
Remember, from the Forum rules:
Use of the Classified Ads section to drive traffic to online auctions (e.g. EBay) is subject to a 2.5% finders fee if the auctioned item is bought by a Forum member.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

Yikes,

Since those were not my auctions (just examples) I removed the links.