New CD project in the works - 'Hendrix on steel & slide'

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Phew....... been a long time, partly because of technical problems but also because this was a terribly difficult song to do..

"Drifting" is now up on MySpace, in an instrumental version. I planned to play the melody on lap steel, but for some reason it just didn't work out no matter what I did, so I ended up playing the melody on my Strat.
The first solo (with the auto-wah) is the Lap King Rodeo lap steel, and the intro/backing lap steel is the Asher EH Junior.

Next tunes on my list is a bare bone version of "Up From The Skies" (just acoustic guitar and acoustic lap steel, plus vocals) and "Bold As Love" in a slightly 'countrified' version with the talented and lovely Marianne Rodvelt on vocals (we play together in the acoustic band Local Zoo) and lots of lap steel - I promise! ;)

Steinar
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Gary Lynch

Post by Gary Lynch »

I rate this piece at A+ and think it would get the respect of any advanced musician alive.
Will Houston

Post by Will Houston »

Yes sir Steinar, when you express you do impress. Keep'm coming.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Another great one! I'm very much enjoying your work on this project :)
Mark White

Post by Mark White »

Beautiful job Steinar :!:
I can't wait for the CD to come out. 8)
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Steinar, with all my years of deep listening to many, many genres of music somehow I've only heard very little of Hendrix's music besides a few of his hits so I came to this new music of yours without any preconceived notions. I like it a lot! Inger's vocal blends so well with your style and the engineering is very well mixed and present. Looking forward to the final version.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

You are just knocking it out of the park, Steinar -- your tone and expressiveness are superb. I love what you have to say on each of these songs, and Drifting just knocks me out.
Peter
Steinar Gregertsen

Thanks a lot for your comments guys, they are truly appreciated! This is a nerve wrecking project.... :alien:

I've uploaded a slightly shorter version of Drifting, cut the last solo by one round - there was some stuff there that bugged me, plus long guitar solos are best served live..... ;-)

Steinar
Website - YouTube
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

well done Steinar. I drop in on your site every now and then and am always pleased, awed, and aurally blow away.
your musicianship is fantastic. your recording quality is a goal I hope to some day near. I doubt if I ever will achieve the quality you are engineering.
Ron Whitfield

Stunning revelation

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Andy, how does one, especially a musician, reach the years you have and not have put any real listening time into THE most 'connected to the heavens' musician of our times/ever?

If nothing else, Steiner's efforts have borne fruit by turning you on, and that alone is a triumph.

Keep up the great work, Steiner!
Steinar Gregertsen

Been a while, and just in case anybody's waiting for the next 'installment', here's an update.

Bad news - due to technical problems in the studio, plus illness and death in the family, I've had to take a longer break.

Good news - back in the saddle again, today I had a meeting with one of Norway's finest session drummers and played the stuff I've finished so far. He enjoyed it so much that he offered to replace my programmed drums for free!! :D
This means I won't be posting any new tracks on MySpace until the album is finished, as the rest of the tracks will only have programmed "guide drums" that I don't want to make public until he does the real drums.

With this guy on drums I think I can safely guarantee a killer album! :whoa: :D
I reach the proud old age of 50 in December, and the album will definitely be available for my 50th.. 8)
Website - YouTube
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

I can't wait to hear this album. it is sure to be great. a live drummer is very cool.
so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope all goes well with the family. take care of things there first.
all my best to you and yours, Steinar.
Carl Morris

Post by Carl Morris »

Wow.

I've been tempted to start a thread and ask if anybody has done Little Wing on steel, a whole collection like this is cooler than I'd ever imagined. Sounds great.
Mark White

Post by Mark White »

Glad to hear you're "back in the saddle" Steinar. Hooking up with a top notch drummer is great news. I'm going to miss the 'teasers' though! :)
Mark White

Post by Mark White »

......you will keep us posted on which songs you're working on though.....right :?:
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Mark White wrote:... I'm going to miss the 'teasers' though! :)
Me too, looking forward to the finished project :)
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

That's great that you're back at work on this project Steinar - what I've heard so far is outstanding.
Music that good deserves to have a human drummer - I'm glad you got the best!