What Do You Think About Single String Playing?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

Oh man, using the "H Word" here seems a little reactionary. I don't see any highjacking. I see some very interesting, gracious, friendly, and enlightening information and talk from people who know more about this style of playing than many of us will ever know. While things may be a bit tangental at times it seems on topic in a broad, healthy, organic way. Even if there were a side-bar conversation going on, are we to say, "sorry, we can't talk about that, it doesn't directly answer the original question"? Nothing is lost and a lot is gained when people converse in a confortable, open way. That being said, there have been threads that get lost and drift into something unrealted to their original topics, but ironically it seems to happen most when people start to direct the threads to complaints about other forum members or the forum itself. I think the word "highjack" is an ugly word with nasty connotations.
This is a great forum.
Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Post by Bishop Ronnie P Hall »

Ron Whitfield,
Totally in agreement. You got it dude!
Back to the Fun!
Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Post by Bishop Ronnie P Hall »

To Cliff,
Very well said! Now lets get back to the fun that it is supposed to be!
Ron
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

One String Sam used a glass slide.

Steve Atwood

tremolo

Post by Steve Atwood »

A beautiful sound in classical guitar is tremolo, where the player plays the whole melody in triplets on one string at a time with his three fingers. I haven't heard that done on steel guitar yet, but I bet it would sound great.

Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Recuerdos-de-la-A ... ef=sr_1_1?

Recuerdos de la Alhambra. The Alhambra is a castle in Spain, which is in Europe, which is a continent, of which there are six on the planet. Although some would say five, since Anarctica is virtually uninhabited. I personally would say that it should be five, but if it has to be six, I would rather count Hawaii as the sixth because it has more people, and it's made a much bigger musical contribution to the world.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Steve says,
A beautiful sound in classical guitar is tremolo, where the player plays the whole melody in triplets on one string at a time with his three fingers. I haven't heard that done on steel guitar yet, but I bet it would sound great.
While Bud did triplets on the video in thris thread by alternating the picking of two strings, he played triplets often on single string when there was a fast tempo Hawaiian or gospel song. He learned this from his teacher, Sol Ho'opii, who also played triplets on a single string.

Aloha, :)
Don
basilh

Post by basilh »

Marcel Bianchi also played a lot of triplets it was an integral part of his unique style.
Iain Carmichael

Post by Iain Carmichael »

By the pricking of my thumbs,
one damned Brummy this way comes. ;-)
basilh

Post by basilh »

Actually Ian, ne're a "Brummy" but a "Silhillian"
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I once read that Buddy Emmons warms up that way, using thumb and two fingers.