About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

C Dixon

Who is this steel player?

Post by C Dixon »

A broken heart + † = a new heart.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Carl...I'm pretty sure that's Terry Kristofferson (sp?)
Larry Petree

steel player

Post by Larry Petree »

That would be Terry Christoffersen, who has been with Buck for many years. He is also the manager of Buck's Crystal Palace here in Bakersfield. If you are ever in this area, you should check it out. It is a site to see.
Larry Petree, Bakersfield Ca.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Thank you soo much Rick and Larry.

If I could play like that, I would believe I died and was already in paradise.

I am going there anyway of course, but that would hasten the feeling of being there already. :)

He tears me up. He plays a lot like JayDee Maness. Wow!

That is the kind of music I could listen to forever. To heck with what they call Country music today. That is what I call Country music.

Now what did I do with me flame retarder. :x :?

My sincere thanks to fellow forumite and friend Bob Farlow for linking me to these videos. Gunna be spending a good deal of time watching these priceless classics.

Thanks again Larry,

c.
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

I thinks it Terry
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

and how about Buck's picking.. pretty darn good..
John McGuire

Post by John McGuire »

It is most defenatly Terry. Doyle Curtsinger (bass) Jim Shaw (keyboard) and Terry Christhofferson were all with Buck for over 30 years and played with him the night he died.
Ray Montee

Hey there Mr. Dixon............

Post by Ray Montee »

Love your hat!

You and it were made for each other.

Buck does pick pretty good, particularly since he started out as a steel player with a Rickenbacher Bakelite.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

TY very much Ray,

That was nice of you to say.

It now hangs in my muic room. I have not had it on for 10 yrs. I took it off the last day of the Steel Guitar Extravaganza show in Atlanta in '98, and hung it up.

thanks again dear friend,

c.
Errol Rafferty

Terry Christoffersen

Post by Errol Rafferty »

This is my favorite by Terry. Sound level could be up a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MJpUf4ua-k

Errol
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

You've missed a lot if you've never heard Terry in a live situation. He hangs that "headless" Steinberger lead guitar around his neck and can go back and forth between steel and lead with little effort. He was first a lead guitar player. I met him years ago at Blackie Taylor's old music store when it was in Hawaiian Gardens, Calif. I think Terry was playing lead at the Branding Iron in San Bernadino at the time. A great musician........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Thanks to all who have posted concerning this awesome steel player.

Since I first posted, I have viewed other videos showing Terry. This is one fine musician. And Yes, I love the way he hangs that lead guitar around his neck and keeps it on, as he sits effortlessly behind that PSG. Making a seemless transition from steel to lead and vice versa.

Wow. I could listen to him pick all night.

I am sorry I don't recall ever seeing him. But then I have not seen a lot of 'em :( .

But I sure would love to see him play in person just once...

Or maybe twice....

Oh heck, why don't I just move to Bakersfield and have a non-stop concert for the rest of my life.
He is sooo unassuming. Jes' "sets" there and plays. And how he does play.

wow.

If anyone knows him personally, please tell him, there is a person in Atlanta that became an INSTANT fan by watching a single video. :D

c.

PS. Mention was made of Buck's playing. And I agree. But my problem is, the whole world knows that. Sadly, however, you have an incredible musician that is not known to anywhere near the degree that Buck is known, playing music JUST as good as Buck or Chet or any other of the kadzillions of great "geetar" players.

And this infuriates me. Just like most cameramen and most of the TV directors, who KNOW every instrument that is playing, except one, and they cannot find WHO is playing the world's most beautiful instrument.

Oh well. :x