Tone seems to change L@@K>>>

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Thank you Wally Taylor, but you sounded fine! (only playing three years? Ya' gotta' be a kiddin')

Ricky Davis, you really aren't serious, are you?
You silly guy! I like tubes too, if I'm in a lake about to drown, :D
All this depends on the brand of amp, circuits, quality of parts and many many other variables. There are good and bad transistor amps, and good and bad tube amps. In Fender I prefer tubes, Standel I prefer tubes, Peavey it's transistor only, you must agree here? In my car tires I prefer tubeless.
I know a girl that had tubes, but got them tied. She worked even better, so possibly you have a point there, I'll introduce you,

Just because an amp has tubes dosn't mean it's great, however, there once was a man from Nantuckett, that,,,,,,,,, oh, never mind,

Los Bobbetous
Mike Lovell

Post by Mike Lovell »

Could the loss of tone be due to proximity to a tone deaf lead singer?
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

there once was a man from nantuckett, that carried his tubes in a bucket...(someone else take it from here!)...
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

his tone was dismaying
but there's an old saying
if it sounds bad then just say 'aw f....'

um....I forget how it ends.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Boy, the whole "tone" of this thread sure went up in smoke! I think tone wasn't the only thing that got changed here, but it sure brightened my day!!
:lol: What a great bunch of guys.I wonder how the people from Nantucket feel about this?? :whoa:
Wally
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Hey, Wally, there are a lot of great insights on this thread, I think you can separate this issue into two factors: external and internal.

As so many have touched on there are nearly endless influences externally on your guitar, amp, room sound, contributions or lack of from other players, etc. One of the big things we deal with is that all sound is frequency, waves or vibrations, and all the other waves, vibrations, absorbtion, reflection, refraction, resonation, etc. affects the vibration we insert into the mix, much of which is beyond our control. Just about any change in any one of those many factors changes "how we sound".

On the internal side, we are constantly conversing with ourselves about our tone, execution, appearance, whether we sound as good as we did last time, or as good as "the other guy", etc., etc. This part of the equation is generally within our control. We can work on positive interior dialog when performing and practicing, just as we can on licks.

I've worked for years on trying to build a performance rig that sounds as similar as possible in different venues, to help with part A. (Closed back cabinets are a big help, IMO.)
The second part takes constant attention. For instance, if my tone seems less satisfying than usual, rather than obsessing about it, I'll think about my vibrato or volume pedal expression. When I stop concentrating on it, my tone seems to take care of itself.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

thanx jon...i knew there was a master poet out there somewhere!

i think bobbe may be regretting not going the full distance, rather than flirting with the concept.

ps..bobbe..could you introduce her to me for a minute?
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Yous guyz iz A KILLIN' ME! :lol: