MS: DSSG Steel Guitar show in June

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Gary Moore

great show

Post by Gary Moore »

thanks billy for the kind word's & thanks for the strings but you sounded great on that magnum & rj thanks your set was great man, it was a great show thank you bill Mr smooth for the invite & jack goodson a great steel & fiddle player great show.
Last edited by Gary Moore on 10 Jun 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Goodson

Post by Jack Goodson »

bill: i dont think there is enough space on my computor to thank everyone that allowed me to play fiddle with them, i also appreciated the opportunity to play a little steel also. and of course i want to thank my friend bob saxton for his great guitar playing. also ben, wayne and little joe, they made everyone sound great. and of course i cannot leave out the best upright bass player in mississippi mr ed clark.martha and i are already looking forward to coming to the next show.....thanks jack
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

I had planned to be there, but when "duty calls" ya just have to go with it.....at the last minute, the band that I just started working with....got a job for the Friday nite......and I knew it would be a late night....and I don't chance driving when I've not had the proper rest.....but I heard some great things about the show.......maybe I'll be able to make the next one.......see ya. HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Bill Stafford

DSSG

Post by Bill Stafford »

As usual, this was a good time for all and a great celebration demonstrating the love we all have for our steel guitar instruments. Accolades are too many to list individually. You just had to be there.
Romeo Sullivan topped the list with his most professional MASTER of Ceremony duties and now we all know why he is a member of the DJ HALL OF FAME. Romeo has played our music on the air for many years and for him to help us out is a special honor and pleasure.
Our very special guest and most talented young girl-Kayla Ann Kelton, recited a patriotic poem about our beloved contry. Hank Corwin and I played "America the Beautiful" during this recitation. This went over so well that I had to have it repeated later in the afternoon with Aaron Bratcher paying the background music on his harmonica. (Charlie McCoy never sounded any better).
And on this Saturday, I really learned where Curly Chalker got his ideas to play "The Shadow of Your Smile". Hank Corwin was on stage and a lady walked up and requested that song. Hank immediately started playing it on his single ten, E9, 3 pedal, 4 knee lever steel. I asked the band to just sit out and listen. Pins dropping made more noise than the audience. Hank has explained to me that he uses the real sheet music to play these songs properly. Have no words to describe this man's talent and ability and his graciousness to all of us wannabees. I was thirlled to have Hank play on my set with me. With my struggling to just play the melody lines on one string, Hank put in more harmony notes than he has strings.
I was not able to take pictures and maybe some of those who did will send copies to me or insert them here on this forum.
DSSG thanks all the players for their wonderful support.
Joe Wright was only SUPERB. I gave him an hour on the program and after Joe called his wife, Connie, up to sing I realized I had really made a big mistake. I should have allowed these two six or more hours. What a voice this lady has. Thanks Connie! Joe is one lucky man for the rest of his life with you. We are all so proud for Joe and you and this new family. Hope your stay here on the Mississippi coast this past weekend was as enjoyable as it was for all of us.
Special thanks to Joe and Connie Wright.
I have the best PR agent in the world in Melissa Kelton-Kayla's mom. She kept me busy all week with radio interviews all up and down the coast. So many to thank for all this support.
Thad Anderson and his St Mary's Catholc Church and the Knights of Columbus for the kitchen work and food all afternoon. Then, after the show , this group pitched in to help clean up the center. No better folks than here on this Mississippi coast. I am thankful to all for their support and help-and again, especially to Dr. Quido Sutter who was there early Sat. morning to help me arrange all the chairs, tables etc. Garland and Gail Moran provided the sound service-great job here too. More on the players later. It was a wonderful time and a good show thanks to all in attendance.
Bill Stafford
Bill Stafford

DSSG

Post by Bill Stafford »

"Big" Will Stewart was a major inspiration to all of us that are desiring to play our steel guitars. There was not a better way than to have him in our opening lineup. Hard to believe that "Big" lost his left arm at the shoulder many years ago and today he plays steel with the best of them. Great tone, technique and song selection from one of my favorites. Thanks "Big" Will for your heart and music. Enjoyed meeting your family. You and your wife certainely done a good job there.
Bill Stafford
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Bill,

After I first saw Big Will play a few years ago at one of your DSSGA shows, I stopped complaining about the discomfort caused by arthritis in my hands. Will is to be commended for his determination and fortitude in keeping on keeping on until he conquered this crazy instrument.

Sorry that Laurie and I couldn't make the show.
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
J PARKER

Show

Post by J PARKER »

Guys ihad a super good time there and i want to say thanks to all that helped me and so many played so nice and im afraid if i get to calling names i would leave someone out and dont want to do that. Bill thanks for the invite and a great show thatn you worked so hard on. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon. Jim
Bill Stafford

DSSG

Post by Bill Stafford »

JIm, you set was one of the best with good Ole Doc there with you. Thanks to you and Doc for all your support of DSSGT. That is what makes our shows work and hope to ase and hear you both again later in the year. Keep us in mind.
Ellis Olsen showed up with the Billy Carr show and as usual. wowed us with his good country songs from the Hank Williams era. We had wonderful music all afternoon. Thanks Ellis and Billy. Soon again also, I hope.
Bill Stafford
Roland Buras
Location: Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA

Post by Roland Buras »

Good Morning Mr Smooth, I really Enjoyed the Little time i had to spend at the show. I missed Joe and his family set. I can just imagine the Talent. I also want to thank Garland and his staff for the good sound they had going. And Dr. Guido Sutter for always wanting to help out with equipment setting up. I want to Thank Andy Jones for assisting me with the two songs he sang on my set, good Job Andy. Along with Ben Jammin Odell and Ivory Smoking Little Joe for the two songs they sang on my set and of course my good friend Mr. Bob Saxton. We have Some of the Greatest talent at the DSSG show Gulfport Mississippi.

Thanks Again;

RJ Buras
Gary Moore

a good un!!

Post by Gary Moore »

hey what a great show on the gulf coast i got to jam with some great players at the end of the show /buck /jack/ Gordon /bill Mr smooth/ i had lots of fun & all the band was great players looking for a good one next time thanks Gary.
Bill Stafford

DSSG Thanks

Post by Bill Stafford »

It was so good to have all you great players on this program Much appreciation to all. Buck, you never sounded better and I was so glad you stayed till the "bitter end" to join the group to end our program in a grand manner. Hearing Buck and Bob Saxton do their famous "Ghost Riders" song is just the best. With Bob Saxton on that really "galloping guitar" makes this song a treat to all ears. And Gary, we certainely want you back in our line up next time too. So much support from all of you just can't be beat!
(Bob is undergoing some medical tests at the hospital this morning, so send him a few prayers folks). Thanks.
Bill Stafford
Ben ODell

AH SHUCKS

Post by Ben ODell »

AH SHUCKS,,,, AIN'T NUTTIN.

That is,,,,, Ain't nuttin to compare to the great show last weekend Billy. Sorry it took me all week to recover enough to post.

I appreciate you all puttin up with the ole crippled up bass player. And a special thanks to my old friend Ed Clark for taking the heat off me. WHAT AN AMAZING TALENT !!!!

Buck Grantham and I have hit on a commonality that we intend to explore. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your set UNKLE BUCK. And a special thanks also to Ms Mitzi for the button pushing back there in your booth. What a "SWEETHEART"! I may have to drive over there to brang you some maters. SHO-NUFF GOOD !!

A long list of fantastic talent on that stage. Too much to list. It was like, all day, afraid to get up and get coffee, sceered you wuz gonna miss sumpin.

Missed you Hal!!!! But I know how it is when you go to countin beans.

THANK YOU BUNCHES "LITTLE JOE". You had yo side of the stage rockin, and ole Wayne was a real trooper. Good to see you Romeo, and Jack Goodson you sounded like you were in a studio. Thanks a million !!!!!

Thank You All for being with us and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Oh Yeah. Don't want to leave this part out.......
JOE WRIGHT sho-nuff married UP !!!! Thank You Connie for prettying up our stage, more ways than one.

Ben-Jamin O'Dell
Gordon Dodson

Post by Gordon Dodson »

I would like to thank Bill Stafford for inviting me to be a part of the Ocean Springs, Mississippi Steel Guitar Show. It was fantastic! I heard every set and was amazed at how well everyone played. What talent! It was great seeing Joe Wright again and meeting his new wife Connie. What a voice! Thank you Bob Saxton (world's greatest guitar player), Ben O'Dell, Wayne Goff, Joe Allen Ward, Jack Goodson and Jerry Jaye for making magic on my set. What an honor to play with you all. "Thank you" Bill Stafford, Buck Grantham, Jack Goodson, and Gary Moore for letting me jam with you at the close of the show.....What a treat!
My wife, Jane, took a lot of pictures. We will attempt to post some ASAP. Gordon
Bill Stafford

DSSG

Post by Bill Stafford »

Gordon, it was so good to see and hear you at our show. Hope that happens a lot in the futurre. You brought my friend Julian Thanpes music to this one.
Made my day! anxious to see those pics and to hear you again soon.
Bill Stafford
Roland Buras
Location: Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA

Post by Roland Buras »

Awesome Gordon, glad i got to catch your show. you do some real good stuff. Also thanks to Andy Jones for helping with my set. Hope we can do that again next show Andy. Bill as always a great show and a great line up .

Your Friend;

RJ Buras

Excell Super B SD12 9x7 ...Only playing 3X5 for now.