Farewell Party

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Norman

Farewell Party

Post by Paul Norman »

What kind of changes did Lloyd make on his guitar
to play this song?
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Lloyd added the E to F knee lever in the late 60's, and first used it on D.I.V.O.R.C.E. with Tammy Wynette. I recall him telling me that was the last change that he added to his guitar. Since he recorded Farewell Party with Gene Watson in the earlier part of the 70's, it's a safe bet that he didn't make any new changes for that particular song.

That is, if I'm reading your question right. If you were just asking what copedent he used, then it is indeed the one on the link that Jerry posted.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

I was the road player for Gene Watson when he recorded "Farewell Party" with Lloyd. I was there attending the session when this was cut and I can assure you Lloyd made no alterations to his guitar for this particular recording. You see, Farewell Party was recorded at the end of a 3 hr. session when there were but 10 mins. left on the clock. It was done in one take after Gene had played through the song quickly, playing a flat-top and singing. The guys wrote out quick charts and then put it down... one take, magic !!!

This cut was done in the late Fall of 1978 at The Sound Emporium studios, Nashville. Jim Williamson was the engineer.

A few years later Gene started using us, his band on all his recordings which was something I have to thank him for greatly.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Greg Wisecup

Post by Greg Wisecup »

Now thats quite a story! Thanks Tiny
Derby SD-10 4&5 Black!(duh)/
Derby D-10/Steelers Choice/
Goodrich 120/ 2- Katana Boss 100's
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

Thanks so much for all your info.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Lloyd's changes (or lack or them) are not really relevant. He uses quite a few bar slants in that particular number, as shown in the YouTube link http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IbjViunwfvQ
Terry Sneed

Farewell Party

Post by Terry Sneed »

Loyd Green has always been and always will be one of my favorite players. And his solo of Farewell Party is beautiful to say the least. But Jimmy Day's solo of Farewell Party is the one that brings tears to my eyes, and crawlings to my spine. :whoa:

Terry
Brett Mielke

Post by Brett Mielke »

I watch that video of LG playing Farewell Party almost daily. Great stuff. And really enjoyed the story of the session! Thanks!