Classic country show in Ral. N.C.

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Skip Mertz

Classic country show in Ral. N.C.

Post by Skip Mertz »

Just got back from country show at NC State Fair in Raleigh.Had a front row seat for Jeaney Sealey,Jack Greene,(Doug J.on steel)
Gene Watson had his band(steel player?) Didn't stay for Jimmie Dickens or Ray Price, the stupid sound people still had too much drums and bass in the mix and you could barely hear guitar and steel! When did these sound people (almost ALL) start thinking that
every show should sound like some wide open rock concert. This is the last one I will attend, tired of this stupidity!
Kim Altman

Post by Kim Altman »

We stayed for the 7:00 show too because we enjoyed the 3:00 show so much! The acoustics in Dorton Arena have always sucked so I'm sure the sound man was doing the best he could. I've seen many shows there and it's always the same thing -- a sound man's nightmare. But . . . I knew that going in, so I guess that's why the mix didn't bother me quite as bad.

Gene Watson's steel player was Corky Owens (I hope I got that right) -- I got a chance to meet him in between shows and he was very nice. I went back and had it out with the sound man when he was playing the first show because I couldn't hear him at all -- and I just knew Farewell Party was coming up any minute! He (the sound man) was very grumpy, but he did manage to turn him up after that. What a great player! And they had him turned up the second show too -- not as loud as I wanted, but loud enough to hear what was going on and tell how good a steel player he is!

Ray Price -- what can I say -- This was my very first time hearing him live and man, oh man -- what a crooner!! Of course I had to have his new CD (with Buddy Emmons) and it is wonderful! And his steel player (Danny Muhammed -- I hope I got that right too) was wonderful! Very, very pretty stuff coming from that Emmons -- then he'd jump on the C6th and wear it out!!

And Doug Jernigan . . . that was my first time seeing him live as well -- now I know why so many think so much of him!

All in all, I'd have to say it was one of the best shows I've seen in a while . . . nothing takes the place of good ol' country music! (Even though the acoustics were horrible.)

Thanks to all of you for putting on two great shows! It was worth the drive and the lack of sleep -- I just smiled and hit my snooze alarm this morning . . .