windows media player 11

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Dean Batye

windows media player 11

Post by Dean Batye »

Wiz,I would to know about windows media player 11,I don"t if I should open it.Is there a charge for it? I am on windows2003,when I try to read about it I don"t understand it.Would like to know if I SHOULD down load it. Thank you.
Dean Batye
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Dean;
Microsoft Media Players (WMP) are and always have been free and ship with the operating system, then get upgraded from time to time. Newer version are available to holders of a valid license key, for the OS they are running. Media Player 11 is the latest flavor of that program and if it is available for your OS and you playback audio-visual files, or albums, I recommend it.

What I'm not sure of is which OS you are running, because this could determine if you can install Windows Media Player 11 at all. In your post you said you are using Windows 2003. The only Windows 2003 I am familiar with is Windows Server 2003 and from what I just read, you will have to jump through hoops to install it into that OS. If you meant that your OS is Windows 2000, it does not support an upgrade to WMP 11, with WMP 9.x being the last series available for that OS and earlier ones.

Really, unless you are running a variety of XP or Vista, you won't be able to easily upgrade to Windows Media Player 11 and your OS will have to pass validation to do so at all.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Dean Batye

Post by Dean Batye »

Wiz,thanks for the help,we found out that it will not work on our setup.The laptop we have has vista on it,will try and see if it will work on the laptop.
Thanks once again.
Dean Batye