Good gravy..., come on people!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Whitfield

Good gravy..., come on people!

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Can we PLEASE buck up the worthwhile participation on this forum, and in particular Sw/oP?
Sheesh, there just hasn't been been much of squat happening here for a long stretch.
Where is everybody?

Some of the other main columns are just as tired, with increasing irrelavent silliness taking the place of anything interesting.

Most of you know I'm quite willing to voice my opinion and I'm not looking for a fight, but we can do better, and we better do better or it will exponentially ascerbate until there is no point in checking in, and it's almost to that degree now.
Bill Hatcher

Re: Good gravy..., come on people!

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Ron Whitfield wrote:
Some of the other main columns are just as tired, with increasing irrelavent silliness taking the place of anything interesting.
Why don't YOU come up with an interesting topic. It would be more constructive than your opinions of the current status of the forum.

There is always some good topics and info being shared here. Sorry you are bored.
Ron Whitfield

Is that all you got?

Post by Ron Whitfield »

As I said, Bill, I'm not looking for a fight, so don't try ratcheting up one.

I do post plenty of what I feel are worthwhile topics. Havn't you been paying enuf attention? But, there is such miniscule response to anyone's serious topics lately that someone needs to put it out there.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Guess not.

I say go ahead and look for the fight.
Jim Konrad

Post by Jim Konrad »

Ron,

Many of us are from the USA and more than half of us are just recently getting some weather like you have year round. We are just getting through one hell of an old school winter. Me, I am outside playing my Dobro!!! LOL :D Where I am from, winter is cold and summer is HELL. So I ice fish and thank God for who ever invented AC!!

Everyone will be back soon enough, you just need to give us time to get our toes thawed out and get our share of the sun!!!

That is my take on this "irrelevant silly" post :)

Much Love!!

<*)))>{
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

I need to be taken to the same place Ron, fire it up. You must have questions, enquiring minds want to know. I need help with the fact that I have a steel that is less than my ability to play, and a tax-burden that doesn't allow a better one...I'm asking pertinent questions on subjects that interest me. :)
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Jim, in 1959 Hawaii became the 50th State in the Union, you know, the good ol' USA..., some folks tend to miss that, and yes I appreciate the fact that it can suck at times in much of it.
Hurry and warm up, geez it's like summer already!
By the way, we did get a smattering of rain today, I almost got a bit damp >:-)
Jim Konrad

Post by Jim Konrad »

Ron Whitfield wrote:Jim, in 1959 Hawaii became the 50th State in the Union, you know, the good ol' USA..., some folks tend to miss that,
quote]

Ron,

I know where you are from. I wasn't sure you if you remembered! :wink:
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Jim, you wouldn't believe the amount of mainlanders that think Hawaii is something other than a state, just like the other 49.

Glad you aren't one of them.
Jim Konrad

Post by Jim Konrad »

Yup, I hear ya Ron, same thing with Canada!!!! :mrgreen:
Jim Mitchell

Post by Jim Mitchell »

Ron Whitfield wrote:Jim, you wouldn't believe the amount of mainlanders that think Hawaii is something other than a state, just like the other 49.

Glad you aren't one of them.
No I know Hawaii is a state it has INTERSTATE HIGHWAYS

It must be connected some where

MY SITE

http://www.geocities.com/insp/SUPRO6420.html
I am trying to play a Harlin Brothers 1956 Multi Kord 6 String 4 Pedal Steel Guitar
and a RONDO lap
Retired from Boeing Helicopters in Ridley Park Pa.
we build the CH47
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

I may be opening a can of worms here but oh well. (Ain't the first time I used a can opener!) I think their aresome interesting threads on here about mechanics and guitars. But ( no disrespect intended) I am not into the music of the islands. I play non pedal but I like swing and don't see much about that so I don't participate. I support the non pedal very much. In fact when I do steel shows I play non and pedal. I do see a lot of involvement in this room but not much for my taste. OK that's my worms.
Carroll Hale

Post by Carroll Hale »

wished I was with you jim.....playing my dobro...fishing out on a cool lake or spot ...anywhere but se texas .....102 heat index yesterday...today hotter....and it is june....july/aug/sept....are worse...and we have hurricanes to worry about too......love it in dec/jan/feb..........when we are playing golf and you are ice fishing.......have a good one...

and me personally......I come to sgf to learn about music and pick up hints about how to be a better player...not to fight or fuss over political or other crap.......too old for that....
my 2 cents worth..
ch
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Ok Ron here are some topics.

1. Did Jerry Byrd "really" play Hawaiian music?
2. What type of strings should I use?
3. What's harder to play non-pedal or pedal?
4. Do I need to read music?
5. Country music sucks today, agree?
6. Is it the instrument of the player?
7. I'm going to Hawaii next month. Where can here some authentic Hawaiian steel-pedal music?
8. Anyone wanna share a room for Scotties?
9. Think Fender will reissue the Stringmaster?
10.Why don't we hear more steel music on the radio?
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

A UkeTone Recording Artist

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Hawaiian Steel Guitar/Ukulele Website
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

On all forums & message boards......there are peaks and valleys.......and you can't force/fake participation....

dreary today.....cheery tomorrow.......
Therman Jones

Post by Therman Jones »

...or as my ol' Granpappy used to say' "Some days it's chicken...some days it's feathers."

I know the feeling you get when you wake up all inspired and excited...hurry to get online and log in to the Forum to see what wonderful things are happening. And the only posts are from someone wanting to know if they should use a .014 or .016 string...or...if stainless string is better than nickel , or ....whatever. Bummer!

But I love being part of this community...even on the slow days. BTW the correct answer is .016 nickel. :D

If you need a good laugh, check out my latest video.

Therman
Customized 8 string Artisan lap steel....it will have to do until I hit the lottery...
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Gerald Ross wrote:Ok Ron here are some topics.

1. Did Jerry Byrd "really" play Hawaiian music?
2. What type of strings should I use?
3. What's harder to play non-pedal or pedal?
4. Do I need to read music?
5. Country music sucks today, agree?
6. Is it the instrument of the player?
7. I'm going to Hawaii next month. Where can here some authentic Hawaiian steel-pedal music?
8. Anyone wanna share a room for Scotties?
9. Think Fender will reissue the Stringmaster?
10.Why don't we hear more steel music on the radio?
Good ones. Here is one more
If President Obama forces all the bars to hire old time music bands, will it make me young and single again?
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Dangum, Gerald, now that's what I'm taliking about!
Let's get rolling on that list right now. What a marvelous day this will be. I can't wait! Hootah! Why didn't I think of even one of those? And here I am thinking the SGF has hit an all time low, when all that was right under my nose, oh wait, it's just a booger...
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Ron, I'm going to try:

Can you help me with this?
I like to play Hawaiian on my 1952 Fender Dual Pro. I like the more staccato sound on most of what I play; but the first E string always seems a little (for the lack of a better word) thin.

I have tried a .015" and a .016" string __ slight improvement. Would a .017" for the first string be too extreme?
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Gerald Ross wrote: 4. Do I need to read music?
That's a trick question, yes? :oops:

:P
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Ron Whitfield

Just in case your not trying to pull my leg, or finger...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Rick, I've had a .17 on my short scales, which I believe a Dual Pro is as well, and it will indeed help with the thinness problem, but it's always going to be that way to some degree and you have to compensate with a stronger but still subtle attack on that string.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

GOOD GRAVY:

2-½ tablespoons solid vegetable fat
4 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 small tomato
2 cups vegetable broth or water
Salt to taste
[edit]Instructions
Put the fat into a frying pan, and when hot, add the flour, and stir constantly until a nice brown.
Add the chopped onion, and continue to stir for a few minutes; then the tomato and stir for about 5 minutes, or until the liquid is mostly evaporated, as this will give it a good flavor.
Add one third of the liquid, and stir until smooth and free from lumps.
Add the rest of the liquid, and let boil slowly for 10 minutes; then strain and serve.
Brown Cream Gravy
Cook down 1/2 cup sour cream, stirring constantly, until the oil and the albumen separate and the albumen turns a light brown color.
Then add enough brown flour to take up the oil thus made.
Add potato water or vegetable broth, and finish the same as the preceding .
Country Gravy
Use the same proportions of flour and fat as in either of the two preceding ; omit the onion, and use an .014
Rocky Hill

Post by Rocky Hill »

HowardR wrote:GOOD GRAVY:

2-½ tablespoons solid vegetable fat
4 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 small tomato
2 cups vegetable broth or water
Salt to taste
[edit]Instructions
Put the fat into a frying pan, and when hot, add the flour, and stir constantly until a nice brown.
Add the chopped onion, and continue to stir for a few minutes; then the tomato and stir for about 5 minutes, or until the liquid is mostly evaporated, as this will give it a good flavor.
Add one third of the liquid, and stir until smooth and free from lumps.
Add the rest of the liquid, and let boil slowly for 10 minutes; then strain and serve.
Brown Cream Gravy
Cook down 1/2 cup sour cream, stirring constantly, until the oil and the albumen separate and the albumen turns a light brown color.
Then add enough brown flour to take up the oil thus made.
Add potato water or vegetable broth, and finish the same as the preceding .
Country Gravy
Use the same proportions of flour and fat as in either of the two preceding ; omit the onion, and use an .014
This is best reply to this thread. Or I should say I got more from this than anything else in this thread.

Rocky
Ron Whitfield

That's it...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

You know it's bad when even HR has to resort to a recipe, albeit a good one!, instead of a solid zinger.

I even set up the Dick and Bing thread for such an opportunity, but alas, I guess the new guitar venture has taken the sting from the zing.

:cry:
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

Good HEALTHY Ham gravy

Veg Broth
nutritional yeast
Whole wheat flour
Black strap molasses
garlic thyme
soy sauce

Believe it or not it has a hammy taste to it!!

mmmmmmmmmmm......fake ham gravy........
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS