Ebay Franklin

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ronny Line

Ebay Franklin

Post by Ronny Line »

Franklin double on ebay went for $5,800.00. Are they that good, or are they a collectors item? Just wondering.
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

I traded off mine for less than half of that and i'm happy with what i got. A matter of personal taste i guess.
Another guess is i will never make my first million if i keep doing deals like that... :roll:
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

And what a guitar, one I would never sell on EBAY !!!
For keeps :wink:
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Donny Hinson

Re: Ebay Franklin

Post by Donny Hinson »

Ronny Line wrote:Franklin double on ebay went for $5,800.00. Are they that good, or are they a collectors item? Just wondering.
Obviously, the guy who bought it thinks so!

They're certainly a fine guitar, on a par with most of the newer guitars out there. Personally, though, I would never pay anything close to that for a guitar with only 2 levers! :whoa: (Even though I could add 3 or 4 more levers to it for next to nothing.)

Every day, I see used stuff sell on ebay for more than I could buy the same item new...in a store.

They call it "auction frenzy". Go figure.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

They are relatively rare, I believe Mr. Franklin Sr. is building fewer of them all the time (are they still even in production?), and Paul Franklin is perhaps the world's most visible steel player to the general public, due to Dire Straits. That combination is a winning one for sure. I can't speak for the tone. I've only heard Paul Jr.'s on Dire Straits videos and it's hard to judge in that context. Maybe someone can post a youtube video playing their Franklin. That would be really cool.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Donny, it appears to have 4 levers. It looks to me that it is serial # 018 which I believe would have been the 18th Franklin built. I have #084 which was built in 1984 coincidently. The guitar appears in the photos to be very clean. If I had a very strong desire for a Franklin and had plenty of ready cash (loaded with dough) I would not hesitate to pay $5800.00 for that guitar because no telling when another will become available. Also, there has been no design change made from the firt Franklin to the last one other than pullers (bellcranks?) were changed from aluminum to steel or vise versa.
Jerry
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

check this out guys
here's the Franklin again 4 sale on ebay France :whoa:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Franklin-double-neck ... dZViewItem
steve takacs

PRICELESS

Post by steve takacs »

If you rush out and buy it today, it is only a mere $19,535. Could be yours!!!! Next stop where it will be sold is probably Mars. Shipping not included. PRICELESS! steve t
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The one that was sold on e-bay is newer than my (late)81, S/N 65. Not sure exactly when it was built but it doesn't have the "split tail" necks that the earlier models (like mine) did. I does appear to be S/N 0xx (can't make out the other numbers).

The price isn't really out of line for a D-10 Franklin if someone really wants one (and obviously the buyer did). It may be a little high but not that much considering what Mr Franklin told me, last September, what mine was worth if I wanted to sell it (and he has a list of those willing to buy one and pay the price).

The comment about the guitar being well known after Paul's tour with Dire Straits. Both Paul and the Franklin Guitars were both well known and respected before that tour. Paul and the Franklin guitar were introduced to a new audience, but it didn't "make" the guitar.
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

All you need is a few guys/gals to want it then let the bidding war begin, I think that was smart to put it on ebay.

But now is the franklin on ebay in france a scam, or was the franklin in the US a scam?
Jim Wilson

Post by Jim Wilson »

Jack, I agree. The price is not out of line if you want one. I have #83 (a D-10) just like the one that was sold on e-bay. I also have #196 (a SD-10). The #83 has been played a lot and I felt very lucky to get the #196. Paul recently went over both of them and both are great guitars.

I am not sure if a Franklin is a collectors item or not... I consider mine a great guitar that I love to play. I have played most others and always go back to the Franklin.

If you really want one, you will find the money and a way to get one.
Ben Hoare

Post by Ben Hoare »

I think there great instruments ,very smooth,great sound and incredibly easy to work on and any one else whos played mine agrees they're a great instrument.I dont think you could pay me enough to part with mine.
Gerald Menke

Post by Gerald Menke »

I have always been a fan of the Franklin sound, and after seeing Paul play with The Players at 3rd and Lindley last year, I really wanted one. I called up Paul Sr, who's a very gracious gentleman, and when I told him what I was looking for, he told me it would cost 6 grand and take two years for delivery. From that perspective, the ebay winner got one at a small discount. I would love to have a Franklin one day, and do hope to get one, but on my salary as a musician, it probably won't happen anytime soon. I think those steels are worth every penny, in terms of sound, playability, construction, fit and finish.

Till then, I will play my 1969 push pull, which sounds pretty good too. :)
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

ebay france pulled the auction
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

And what a guitar, one I would never sell on EBAY !!!
For keeps Wink
Keep plying her Jamie, you're made for each other :wink:
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund