Desert Rose guitars. Any thoughts or comments. NEW PICTURE

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Norris Ashment

Desert Rose guitars. Any thoughts or comments. NEW PICTURE

Post by Norris Ashment »

Just wondering how some of you felt about these guitars. What you would change or not change so on and so forth.
I see 3 have come up for sale in the last couple of weeks.
Edited 7-24-08 If you play one and have a picture put on this thread, got some pretty ones being put on here
Last edited by Norris Ashment on 26 Sep 2008 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Have you played one?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Norris Ashment

Post by Norris Ashment »

No STU I haven't. Never even seen one in person
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Norris,These are a great guitars,Mine is an all wood neck D-10 8+5 and is the best guitar I've owned,The sound is very close to a ZB,the mechanics are great and I wouldn't trade it for any guitar out there.There are some great guitars being made these days but this one fits me.Chuck Back is building me another guitar right now...You keep trying guitars until you find the one for you,If you are looking for a PP brighter sound The DR might not be the guitar for you,If you like an old Sho-Bud or ZB sound then I would recommend the DR.If you think that people are selling them because they're lemons I seriously doubt it Chuck Back like Jerry Fessenden,Mark Giles and a few others is a master steel guitar builder.Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Joe Rouse

Desert Rose Steel Guitars

Post by Joe Rouse »

I have had the pleasure of meeting Chuck Back and seeing his Desert Rose Steel Guitars at the Dallas Steel Guitar show in March. Please keep in mind that I'm very experienced in judging pedal steel guitars since I looked at my Carter Starter every day for 1-2 hours for 10 months and now look at my Carson Wells SD-10 1-2 hours each day for a grand total of 17 months. The Desert Rose looked to be a well crafted product and I heard several players trying them out and they sounded great. The finish work on the Desert Rose guitars was beautiful. Please keep in mind that these players sound better tuning up than I sound on my most practiced song. Also keep in mind I've been practicing and taking lessons for 17 months, mostly very frustrating months, but I enjoy the instrument.
Chuck Back is a easy man to talk with and doesn't mind sharing information even with an old over the hill newby...jr
Norris Ashment

Post by Norris Ashment »

Stu I think this is the key words
If you like an old Sho-Bud or ZB sound then I would recommend the DR.
I will add some more of my own comments as the replys come in. I don't want to infulence the comments
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

I have owned an old Sho-Bud, a RusLer, and played
some friend's guitars...(Emmons, Mullen)

Desert Rose steels are as good as anything that I've sat down at...I'm certainly not an "EXPERT" on what is the best steel being built...but, I love mine and NOBODY builds a better looking steel...and he sells them at a reasonable price.

And Chuck is a GREAT guy to work with! 8)
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Norris Ashment

Post by Norris Ashment »

I sure don't see any negatives sneeking in here or anything anybody would change about them.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Norris Ashment wrote:I sure don't see any negatives sneeking in here or anything anybody would change about them.
Maybe Chuck could build in some of his great "LICKS"! :lol:
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Norris Ashment

Post by Norris Ashment »

OK guys I tryed to slide this in sideways to test the waters. I orded one two weeks ago so was diging for info. I thought if there was any thing a person would change about them while its in the building stage now would be the time to do so.
Now there is something you could do for me HOW DO YOU USE THE QUOTE THING on here. I keep looking at it and better not try that
JW Day

Desert Rose

Post by JW Day »

Hey Jack, I think you have hit on something with the lick thing. When I recieved mine, I was sure it would come with the built in licks. To me this is A major set back, now I have to start all over and learn these C. Back licks. Seriously, I recieved mine in Dec. 07 and could not be more pleased. Like Stu said, just try one and look it over. I think that the D.R. is is right up there with the best.Especially since I got mine with A 2 pc. case. I've been an Emmons player for 30 years.
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

They're beautiful guitars. I would change one thing if I could, the address of one to my address.
Thom Beeman

Post by Thom Beeman »

Had mine three years and have had no problems. A phone call to Chuck solved the only problem I've had. Wanted to lower x-lever and he explanied each step clearly as I did it. took less than 5 minutes. To me great costumer service is as important as the product you get and with Chuck you'll be treated with the upmost respect. THOM
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Norris Ashment wrote: USE THE QUOTE THING
I just highlight what i want to quote and hit the "QUOTE icon...usually more than I want comes up so I modify it. :\
TELES & STRATS...
Matthew Prouty

Post by Matthew Prouty »

my next guitar will be a Desert Rose. I have not seen a pretty guitar being built and they sound top notch!

I am playing the powerball, pick5, and the pick to get enough money up to buy one cause what the boss pay these days dont even fill the gas tank.

8)

m.
sonbone

Post by sonbone »

My single 10 came with a George L pickup. I put a 18K True Tone on it and now it REALLY sounds vintage, but not really like anything else. Mine has nice string separation and a mid-range growl almost like a PP, but darker like Stu mentioned. I used to own a Sho-Bud Super Pro and my Desert Rose just seems to have more presence than the Sho-Bud, if that makes any sense.

Not really anything I would change, just thought I'd comment about the different pickup. Good luck and have fun with your new steel.

Sonny
Sonny Morris sjm227@hotmail.com
Chuck Back

Desert Rose Guitars

Post by Chuck Back »

Guys...Thanks for the great comments! I would like some feedback regarding preferences. A couple of years ago I was told by many "build a lighter weight guitar for all of us aging players, and one we can fly without added charges. So I went to a body and a half design and dropped 8Lbs. My guitar now weighs 48lbs in the case.

The feedback I'm getting now from players is they prefer a double body on a sinle 10. So what is more important to you, a double body or a lighter guitar. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Chuck Back,Owner
Desert Rose Guitars
Marana, Arizona
520-548-4654
www.desertroseguitars.ltd
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I played one In the DR room @ the Dallas show. It played, sounded and looked great.
Norris Ashment

Desert Rose

Post by Norris Ashment »

My thoughts are if you can get 48 pounds out of the house you can get 56 pounds out to. A lot of the old boys around here are still tossing around 80 pounds of bailed hay. And if gas prices keep going up none of us will be going anywhere.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Gary Morse of the Brooks and Dunn band uses one both live and in the studio. The Desert Rose Guitar is built to achieve the classic steel guitar sound of yester year. Gary won't play cheap garbage steels. Chuck Back is also one of the most nicest people you will ever deal with when ordering a guitar. Desert Rose Steels are on my short list of recomended great sounding/playing steels.
Alex McCollough

Post by Alex McCollough »

Chuck makes a great sounding and playing guitar...I can't say enough good stuff about his guitars and customer service.
Twayn Williams

Re: Desert Rose Guitars

Post by Twayn Williams »

Chuck Back wrote:Guys...Thanks for the great comments! I would like some feedback regarding preferences. A couple of years ago I was told by many "build a lighter weight guitar for all of us aging players, and one we can fly without added charges. So I went to a body and a half design and dropped 8Lbs. My guitar now weighs 48lbs in the case.

The feedback I'm getting now from players is they prefer a double body on a sinle 10. So what is more important to you, a double body or a lighter guitar. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
I threw my back out on the gig Friday moving my GFI S10 (I think 42 pounds in the case) out of the way of the drummer in a very cramped space. Weight is a very important issue for me. My first guitar was a SD-10 and while I liked the pad, my current is on a single frame and I don't miss the pad.

I know some of us would rather the weight be lost from the case instead of the guitar. Something like the latest Fender guitar cases.

Oh, and while we're making outrageous requests, how about the ability to have multiple pickups (ranging from strat to stringmaster spacing) and volume/tone controls :D
Primitive Utility Steel
Rick Barnhart

Re: Desert Rose Guitars

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Chuck Back said:
"The feedback I'm getting now from players is they prefer a double body on a single 10. So what is more important to you, a double body or a lighter guitar. Thanks in advance for your opinions."

I played one of your guitars in at the show in Phoenix, I absolutely loved it. I'd like to see a full double body SD-10 option offered...I've heard some pretty good pickers say they just couldn't get used to that half pad. Either way, the Desert Rose is one fine guitar. I'm gonna order one one of these days.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I think that a body,and a half is a good compromise.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Stu...I've got a body and a half....ooops, I guess you were talking about the guitar...sorry. :\
TELES & STRATS...