Zum owners --p/u's

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Skip Cole

Zum owners --p/u's

Post by Skip Cole »

I'm interested to know which p/u you prefer on your Zum ? Please give the resistance if you know it. I just got a Zum with L-910's, though i don't prefer them. Thanks

Skip
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Skip, I got 910's on my Zum when I ordered it. I never could get it to be as clean as I wanted it. I put in a TrueTone wound to 17.5 and been a happy camper ever since.
Lefty Schrage

Post by Lefty Schrage »

Hi Skip,
I had TrueTone 18.5's put on my Zum and am really happy with the tone.
...lefty
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

My Zum universal 12-string came with a Truetone wound to about 17.5K. It sounds good that way, with lots of clean high-end. But I just put on a Lawrence 912 that I really like a lot. I think it matters what I'm playing it through. Through my TubeFex set up with a very pristine, clean setting and into a high-power head and a powerful EV speaker, I prefer the 912. But straight into a Twin Reverb, NV 112, or the TubeFex set up a little more midrangey and not quite so clean, I think I prefer the Truetone.

Of course, I also consider the fact that the 912 is humbucking, which is definitely worth something to me. I think I can make either of these work fine, tonally. But even though the Truetone single-coil noise was pretty good for a single-coil, sometimes the electronic interference is bad enough that I really need the humbucker. Another possible point to consider.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

To each his own.But I like the heavier wound pickups.19 OHMs,But I also like a bright,but fat and sweet high end.I set the presence higher on the amp for heavy wound pickups. Maybe even back off the treble.Works for me.Might be worth a try.

Again, everyone has their own idea about sound.Skip mentioned Zum. In my opinion and I think Bruce will tell you the BL-710 is not his choice for a Zum.
Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 13 May 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Skip i have one Zum with a BL910 on E9th and BL710 on C6th and I really love this guitar - it sounds great.
I have a brand new Hybrid which Bruce put Trutones on (not sure of the impedance) ..and they sound fabulous too !! The Hybrid has some subtle tonal differences to the standard changer guitar, so it's hard to say how the Trutones play a part in this - but It's awesome anyway.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Emmons pickups @ 19k (E9th) and 20k (C6th)
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Skip,
My D10 has Truetones on both necks.

My SD10 came with a T.T. 17.5K Ohms and for curiosity I changed it for a BL710 19.5K Ohms,It sounds fabulous with either pickup.
Best regards
Billy
Tommy R. Butler

Post by Tommy R. Butler »

John Hughey always put Emmons single coil pick ups in his Zum's
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

Well, John Hughey had recommended the 910's for mine but I didn't really care for them after using them for a while. I changed them to the 710's and like it a lot better. Again, as was said above, everyone is different.
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

I'm using a Tonealigner in mine. I'm well pleased with the sound. And I've tried a variety of pups.
Sorry, don't recall the ohms.
jas.
Bill Simmons

Single Coils

Post by Bill Simmons »

For the past 4 years, I've had an Emmons 19,200 ohm pickup in the E9th neck and the original Zum 17,400 ohm pickup in the C6th.

I tried many different pickups but to my ear the single coils -- especially the Emmons single pickup -- sounded the fullest but with a nice sweet edge. This 'ol 79 Zum (birdseye maple laquer)is a killer sounding steel!
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

stock true tones on my D10 when i got it
great sounding pus mind you
edited : 17.5 ohms

went on to BL710s (double coils)& much prefer them
Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 30 May 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Thanks for all the responses to my post. Never having owned a Zum before, i wanted to get some Forum input about acceptable p/u's. After years of owning Emmons, i never had any complaints about their stock s/c pickups , therefore never changed them out. I just happened to check my "stuff" box and found a s/c Emmons p/u that i forgot i had ; about 19.7K that i will try on the E-9. Probably go to a TT on the C-6.
This Zum is the first steel i've owned that has a "feel" that is comfortable just to sit down to like it fits me ; and even with my limited playing ability, plays so smooth and effortless. Hard to explain, but i bet you can relate , eh? :D
Thanks to all,--Skip
Tom Buur

Post by Tom Buur »

Hi,

I just got my Zum SD-10 a week ago (picture here: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=133074 ). It is my very first pedal steel and it has a Truetone pickup (my research has taught me what steel pickups look like). I thought they were all 17.5 KOhm, but seeing the above posts this may seemingly not be the case. So I rushed down and measured. Readout: 17.6 KOhm.

My only ambition is to learn to play backup steel behind singer (me), 6 string solos etc. that I record myself. So with this in mind I did consider getting a George L E66 to avoid the more piercing highs of a single coil pickup. However, I think this Truetone sounds just fine. So I will probably just stick to what I got. Obviously it is not the Stratocaster type of single coil sound you get from a Truetone.
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Tom, i believe you did very well in your choice of a Zumsteel. The Zum i recently bought is an ' 02 model but looks showroom new. I never tire of playing it, and i'm about to get accustomed to the L-910 p/u's , which i didn't like at first. From the Zum players i've asked the Truetone is the choice for single coil pickups and the ohms range from 17K-19K, or somewhere between. Thanks for your reply, best wishes,
Skip
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have TruTones on my Zum.
I'm sure between Bruce and Jerry, they know what sounds best. :D
BOBBY JACKS

Post by BOBBY JACKS »

:D 17.5 True Tones Awesome Zum Hybrid :D
Roger Hurst

Post by Roger Hurst »

OK.... Here is the deal. I've had Lawrence twin-bar chrome pickups on my Zum for several years and had great tone. Just recently Bruce installed some 17.5 TrueTones because I was looking for a sharper sound. I wanted even more "bite" on the C6th so he swapped the C6th, 17.5 out for a 17.0 and it was even better.

I just got my Nashville 400 back from being modified by Ken Fox and WOW! you cannot believe the tone. It is like a shot being fired on every note... especially single note C6th on the lower strings. Ken Fox is an absolute wizard and will tweak his mods slightly depending on what pickups you have and the ultimate sound you want. The best sound is not just in the pickups but the compatibility between the pickups and the amp.
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Ken Fox and I visited with Larry Sasser, in Atlanta and he had put Emmons PUPS on his zum and said several other pros had done the same thing and he liked them very much.

ernie
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

My U-12 Zum came with a Lawrence 912 on it and after a while, I decided to change it out to a True Tone wound at 19.5 OHM's. The original 912 was chosen for it's quietness, being a humbucker. But, I felt it was too dark for me. I was going for a T.T. wound at 17.5 OHM's, but, Jerry recommended the 19.5 because of the longer length of the pickup. I'm extremely happy with the sound, now.
Bud Harger

Zum PU's are great!

Post by Bud Harger »

Skip,

I'm playing an early 2007 Zum Hybrid with Bruce's stock pickups. The stock PU's are awesome...both C6th and E9th.

All I can say is, I wouldn't even think about changing out these PU's for others. To each his own, I suppose!

Best personal regards,

bUd
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Skip, I have an S12 Emmons p/p. I swapped the stock single-coil pickup with a TrueTone sc 18.5 kohm. I couldn't really tell any difference. The Emmons pickup is as good as the Truetone. Then I got a Zum S12 with a Truetone pickup, also 18.5 kohms. I can't imagine anything could sound better. So I think the Emmons sc pup will sound great on a Zum.

I have since put the Emmons pup back on the Emmons, and took that TrueTone and put it on my MSA Millennium S12. They all sound great. I also have a BL 912 that I can slip into the Milly if needed to avoid hum. But it doesn't sound quite as good as the TrueTone, and I have never had to use it. I think I might want to use it if I ever get around to recording anything solo on steel. But playing with a group, the TrueTone sc hum hasn't been an issue, even in the studio. I can clearly hear the hum when I play alone at home, but not with a group.
Jim Meiring

Post by Jim Meiring »

Bruce told me he really likes the Truetone sound on his guitars so I took his advice and put them on my D-10. I am really happy with them.
Bobby DeMoss

Zums and pickups

Post by Bobby DeMoss »

I have an 04 Zum 9X9 with Bruces picups and an 08 Zum 9X9 with Truetones and the Truetones on the newer guitar make the strings ring out very balanced and clean. The 04 has awesome tone but not as balanced across the strings. Also the E9th counterforce on the 08 is a keeper.
A Rig-Zumsteel 08 Anti E9th 9x10, Vegas 400's x2 Lemay Mods, B Rig-Zumsteel 99 9x10, Stroborack's X2, Lexicon MPX200's x2.