Has any body had a problem with NV112

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Norris Ashment

Has any body had a problem with NV112

Post by Norris Ashment »

Just wondering if any one had a problem that needed repairs with a NV112 ??? Speaker ect ect or what ever.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

A quick search shows that they've had their share of problems, just like any other amp - humming, distortion, reverb noise, no reverb, people displeased with the stock speaker, etc. Peavey makes a pretty reliable amp for a reasonable price, but many thousands built will always result in a few that are defective.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

As a former amp tech, I'd say the reliability is as good as any Peavey, which has a good track record. There are always going to be problems with ANY electronics product, but the percentage is usually very low. (If equipment never failed there would be no need for warranties and repair techs).

I have a NV112 (over three years) and if it were stolen, I'd buy another one. It's all I've used since I got it.
Last edited by Jack Stoner on 12 May 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

I had a problem with mine last month. It was just short of three years old.
It developed an occilating hum so I sent it to Peavey and will have it back this week.
Even with my amp problem I still love the amp and would buy another one.
Mike Brown

Nashville 112

Post by Mike Brown »

Any product built by the "hands of man" can develope problems(think NASA's space shuttle tiles). For 43 years, we have designed and manufactured thousands and thousands of products and most are still in use. Just the other day, a consumer called me to inquire about the operation of a PA600(1972) mixer that he had found in a pawn shop. It still works flawlessly.

As far as a our philosophy, we design and manufacture quality reasonably priced products for the working musician.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me here at Peavey by calling toll free at 1-877-732-8391, ext. 1180 and I'll be glad to assist you.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA
Norris Ashment

nashville

Post by Norris Ashment »

Thanks guys. Mine just started making a grainy kind of distortion which I proved by plugging my Strat in to it. I'll try a differnt speaker today. If it's still there I'll try to get the chassis down to my basement where I have some of the best audio test equipment money can buy and go from there.
Damn back problems make it so hard to do things that I did for a living. I was hoping for a hint here on what it might be. And yes I know anything made by man can fail !!
Mike Brown

Grainy Distortion

Post by Mike Brown »

If the reverb control is turned up when this happens, it could be caused by the two bare wires touching each other. If this is the case, simply separate them and it should take care of the distortion. This is with the reverb control up.
Norris Ashment

nasvville

Post by Norris Ashment »

Mike I just hooked the chassis up to my Sencore PA81 test unit at 4 ohms and it is clean. Laying the input signal over the output signal on my Sencore SC3100 scope, you coundn't get a cleaner match. One thing thou it will only make 60 watts then starts to clip on + an - peaks if I push it. It is not in the reverb for sure. I turned it clear down with the guitars to test for this 1st off. I don't have a real good test substitute speaker. I doubt I'm pushing 60 watts in a 13 by 13' room.
The power supplys look clean.
Last edited by Norris Ashment on 12 May 2008 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Brown

Nashville 112

Post by Mike Brown »

Send the chassis to me and we will repair it for you. Please include your phone number and a note of symptom.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA
Norris Ashment

nashville112

Post by Norris Ashment »

Its off to see Peavey. I don't want to fix any more things. I've fixed my share.
Casey Lowmiller

Post by Casey Lowmiller »

Mike Brown & Peavey will take GREAT care of you!!! I had an LTD 400 shipped to them & it came back great.

The tech that did the inspecting/diagnosing/repair called me at home, told me what he found and what he fixed & asked me if there was anything else he could do.

Shorlty after that, I talked to the billing department & took care of payment and was informed when my amp would ship out. They had it for a few days & now it's healthy.

Great service & everyone I dealt with was really nice & answered any questions that I had.

They are great & Mike Brown is a real asset to their company & the world of steel guitar!!!

Casey
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"
Ernest Cawby

amps

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I like my 112 only amp I use now. When new the Reverb did not work, Ken Fox fixed it Peavy could not pay becouse Ken is not a Peavy repair center, but having AKen do it here was cheaper than sending it to the factory, and I will trust Ken with any repair work first he is good.The reverb was not hooked up on the board at all someone missed it when built.

ernie
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i love my peaveys (ltd 400,,,nv 400) and mike brown is a great contact...but being poor, i just go without reverb on both since they never work right consistently.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Peavey products have made me a pile of money over the years..sadly, many women seem to have taken it all.... :(
Jim Eller

Post by Jim Eller »

You can't beat having a guy like Mike Brown in your corner!

I've told him before, he can't retire until I'm dead and gone.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Jim, you got that right, our friend Mike Brown is the man. You know,i have never had a peavey product let me down on a gig yet. Only problem i have ever hasd with a peavey product, was my old Session 500. It had a loose molex connection. Great products, great people to deal with. And peavey dealers will go that extra mile to help you, and make sure the product you buy is right for you. I have played, sang, spun CD's, downloaded, DJ'ed through peavey gear, and will for years to come. A happy camper.
Norris Ashment

nashville112

Post by Norris Ashment »

I sent mine back to Peavey a little over three weeks ago, I called and talked to the service center yesterday and they still couldn't tell me any thing about it.
I tested it on my test equipment and know it would only make 60 watts output and the speaker was bad.
I owened and run the only authorized peavey service shop in idaho Falls untill my back went to pieces so don't think its that tough a job to repair. I'll bounce them again Monday.
Casey Lowmiller

Norris,

I would certainly contact the service department again...maybe even call Mike Brown. They are usually fairly fast at getting problems solved and amps fixed.

Casey
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"
Norris Ashment

Nashville112 repair

Post by Norris Ashment »

Well so much for Peaveys snappy service. As of this Fri my 112 will have been there at the service center 4 weeks not counting when it left here. I talked to Mike Brown this after noon at that point it had nerver been looked at and he asked if quote(I needed it soon) !!! GO FIGURE
Its still under warranty
Casey Lowmiller

I'm sure it was some sort of over-sight. This isn't the norm for Peavey...something mut've been wrong!!!

Casey
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"
Norris Ashment

Post by Norris Ashment »

I guess so, I talked Mike Brown last Tue and haven't heard a word since from anyone.
Starting to think about another Amp. Gotta have something to plug my steel into.
Mike said no one called his attention to it,how ever here is a interesting link. Note Item 11.
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/repair/faq.cfm
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

I gotta say in defence,,I ordered a steel king from fender about a year ago,,and it was mission critical I got it in the time I told them I needed it. I was going on tour in a month from ordering it. The tour came and went,,no steel king. I finally got it about 2 months after I got back from tour.

My point being that all the amp manufacturers have this type of thing happen.

I now own a steel king AND a 112,,and find having that option to be the best. 112 for practice/small gigs,,steel king+black widow for big ones.

Good to have a back-up amp so maybe getting another isnt a bad idea?
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Norris Ashment

Post by Norris Ashment »

Got my Nashville 112 back today. They did replace the speaker and reverb unit, repaired connections and cleaned the controls. Sounds much better than it ever did. On the down side it now has a slow building hum with nothing plugged in to it. If turn it off and right back on it stops for a while. I MAY have to send it back not sure.

What I do know is I will have another AMP here first to use. The first time in 45 years I got caught flat footed.
Ernest Cawby

amp

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I just trade my modded Vegas 400 for another Nashville 112, I have found a setting That is just super. A JCH player was sitting next to Jim Price playing a Walker stereo unit and his JCH sounded just as good as the walker. Got his settings came home and tried them, bingo just what the doctor ordered, teh sound to die for.

ernie
Jim Taylor

Re: amp

Post by Jim Taylor »

Ernest Cawby wrote:I just trade my modded Vegas 400 for another Nashville 112, I have found a setting That is just super. A JCH player was sitting next to Jim Price playing a Walker stereo unit and his JCH sounded just as good as the walker. Got his settings came home and tried them, bingo just what the doctor ordered, teh sound to die for.

ernie
What were the settings?