Tribo-tone Bar - WOW!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Eric Ebner

Post by Eric Ebner »

Dunlop confusion :eek:

Many people reference these bars when ordering a Tribotone. Problem is the specifications are all over the place. Some of the Dunlop website specifications are not accurate IMO... enough to actually matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 7/8 920 bar is the only one with packaging that actually reads "Jerry Byrd" on it?

A 919 is not 2.75 inches long but almost 3 inches.

Weights are also off on some of these bars. Some on-line stores say a 919 is 5 ounces but I measure 128 grams = 4.5oz (correct on the Dunlop site) They also note that the packaging specs are wrong on some of these bars (to which I agree).

Can someone clarify or verify what the bottom line is here and maybe I will post "actuals" on my site to help people decide what bar they have and what they might like. Thanks!

I've always been wary of referencing other bars for this reason.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Gerald Ross wrote:The Tribo-tone feels significantly silkier and smoother and it's visual appearance is shinier and more mirror-like
I've been usin mine for about 3 months now and although it's lost it's "shinier and more mirror-like' appearance it actually feels slicker after breakin it in.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I have two of the Dunlop 919 models, and I just measured both. One is 2.771 inches long, and the other is 2.81 inches long, so the tolerance is "loose"
The diameter is quite close though, like .751 and .753.
I think I'll get a weight on them at the drug store scale, just for curiosity, and for ordering a new one that's fairly close .
My only problem with the Dunlops is holding on to them. ( maybe it's the age thing, since I used a 5/8 " diameter bar for 25+ years)
Eric Ebner

Post by Eric Ebner »

I just measured (3) 919 Dunlop® bars and they are different from yours! 2 are 2.925" and 1 is 2.87" each with different weights. What's up with that? Nice bar for the price but wouldn't want people to use it as a reference bar for ordering.

One customer thought his new custom Tribo-Tone was too short (ordered a 2.75") until he actually measured his 919 and found it was considerably longer than stated on the packaging. Loves it BTW :)
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

What I like about the TriboTone bar is its warmth, and I'm not talking about warm tone. In my sub-basement it gets pretty cold in the winter (don't believe everything you hear about California) and when I pick up a regular chrome tone bar, especially a heavyweight one, it's like handling a block of ice. :eek: The TriboTone is not that endothermic, and my hands keep warm. 8)
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

you guys must be rich...wow, i just looked at the prices!!

they must be good, i don't hear anyone complaining!
Mark White

Post by Mark White »

Best money I ever spent.........
Darrell Urbien

Post by Darrell Urbien »

I measured my Dunlop 920 (no JB mentioned on the packaging of mine) and it's 3.25" x 7/8" and 7.5 oz. The tube it came in says it's 2.875" x 7/8" and 7.5 oz!

To my (smallish) fumbling beginner's hands, this bar has always felt too long and quite heavy. I was going to go with the "Gerald Ross Special" at 2.75" (as I thought my JD was too long at 2.875"), but Eric persuaded me to measure my old bar first, and it's probably a good thing he did! Now I'm leaning toward just getting a standard 3" B weight bar and seeing how I like that.

BTW, I bought my Dunlop at McCabe's, and it was $28. However I'm really struggling with it. If I end up actually playing the Tribo-tone, the additonal cost will be worth it to me!
Last edited by Darrell Urbien on 29 Apr 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

Thanks Gerald for bringing back this topic because I forgot to post how much i like the Tribo-tone bars. I own two; yellow and red, and love 'em both. It's amazing how they don't wear out… they wear in!

I also agree with the person who said if they could just have one bar, this would be it. There are occasions when i still prefer the chrome Dunlop. That would be playing single notes on the treble (unwound) strings. I sometimes find a slightly better tone and sustain on those notes, but overall I prefer the Tribo.
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

I just received my custom length white Tribotone bar. I love the way it feels in my hand and the bar is sooo smooth and quiet on the strings.
I also want to mention what a pleasure it is to do business with Eric. I wish him great success. I'll be ordering another Tribotone bar soon.
Richard Cooper

My new Tribo-Tone

Post by Richard Cooper »

I just had to get one, and I am glad I did.
Got the white B bar, best bar I have ever used.
I think I will get the C bar next.
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

I now have three. M,D and a custom long 3/4" in teal. I find each has its own feel to match a specific guitar. They are great bars.
Mark
John Bushouse

Post by John Bushouse »

How about you all with custom bars post the custom specs, and why? I would find it very interesting.
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

My custom teal is a 3.5 long 3/4 A bar. The extra length made it about 5.5 ounces. I use it on an eight string that has wide spaced strings(for an eight)close to 7/16. Like some six strings.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

I got mine delivered in the Dominican Republic yesterday. The heavy 10 string length 7/8 dia in BLACK.
What can I say? I have not slept much tonight! :D

This thing! Well, I am currently practicing without an amp.... working on my touch and expression control, so one hears the little scratchy buzzy zingy noises and thinks that's OK. Well, IT'S GONE! You think YOU don't have those noised? Try that bar and you will discover just how much you HAD it.
Slippery it is and has NO drag at all, meaning that where ever far I slide up and down, it does not activate un-picked strings (wounds). And let's talk about the big heavy strings which usually sound dead and lifeless like wet noodles... they are ALIVE now, my low C6th strings (I tune down to an F) even have sustain and blend in much better with the high plain strings which have also lost their sizzle and high pitch buzzes (NO, noise are not overtones!).
I got addicted to it over night... the only issue now is... there is no turning back!

As they say... if a man ever goes black... never comes back.

I think steel guitar bridges should be made of this material and PSG builders should look into it too and try if they can have it adapted onto their pulling fingers!

I'm going to have to order a second one... I can't stand the idea I could loose this one!

... J-D.
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I've just ordered a tribotone bar of my very own. I ordered a black one of course. Everybody knows that they sound best. ;-)
Amor vincit omnia
Bob Bowman

BH Tribotone

Post by Bob Bowman »

Basil H just came round and after <15 seconds with his Tribotone I'm convinced. Sounds really good on Weiss - I'll expand on that - fatter, smoother, quieter.

About to place an order

Cheers Bob
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I talked to Eric today about a bar, and he is putting together a new facility for production. He says in about 30 days he will be back in production.
So I'll wait and try one later. I'm mostly interested in the "grip" ! Harder to hold the bar as time goes by.
Mark White

Post by Mark White »

Bill, they are easier to hold on to than a metal bar but not quite as easy as a Red Rajah or Black Phoenix. Mine shows no sign of wear and gets daily use. String noise on wound strings is GREATLY reduced.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

I just ordered a Tribotone bar, just to see if you guys know what you are talking about!!

I will be back with my analysis later.
I finally got back for my analysis:

A great find. Feels secure in hand and is silky smooth. 8) Previously played with a Jerry Byrd Dunlop and the Tribotone bar produces a more mellow sound. 8) The Dunlop is more bright. I like the more mellow sound for Hawaiian music.

I purchased the "C" Tribotone which is slightly more heavy than the Dunlop and slightly longer. No problems here. The weight is just right on the Tribotone.

I used the Tribotone at the Winchester Steel Guitar Convention in July 2008 and really like it.

The Tribotone is recommended without reservation.

Aloha, :)

Don
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Don, did you get the standard 3/4 diameter bar (3 inches) or the 2 3/4 inch? I have actually held back my order. I play mostly single string. The 3" bar would be better for that. But it's definitely too long for the occassional reverse slant on strings 1 and 2. I do just enough of that to make it an issue. Maybe I need to buy 2.
Amor vincit omnia
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I weighed my Dunlop at the Post Office yesterday, it's a 3/4 X 2 3/4, and weighed 4.5 oz. Don't really know if I want a heavier bar. I do want a 2 3/4 length however. If the 3" @ 5 oz can be made to 2 3/4 at a bit over 4 oz, I can live with it.
We will see what happens when production starts.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Bill ... my 2 3/4" x 3/4" ... white TriboTone weighs 127 grams (4.48 ounces) ...

It's a "B" weight ...

Eric told me it was the first one he ever made that size ... I've had it just over 1 yr now ...

I really love it ...

You can try mine out in Joliet ... :mrgreen:
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

According to the tribotone website, the 2 3/4 inch length is a custom bar that weighs proportionately less than its 3 inch counterpart. I have the C weight 2 3/4 bar figured at about 5.5 ounces as opposed to 6 ounces for the 3".
Amor vincit omnia
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Don, did you get the standard 3/4 diameter bar (3 inches)
Yes, Ed. 8)

Sorry to be so long in responding.

Aloha, :)
Don