Greetings from Seattle

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniel Davis

Greetings from Seattle

Post by Daniel Davis »

Hell all,

This is kind of an introduction/request.

Just today, I ordered my first pedal steel: a Stage One. Should be built and shipped by mid-July.

I've never even touched a pedal steel before, but for some reason I have an uncontrollable urge to learn to play one.

I guess I should blame Daniel Lanois for making the instrument sound so awesome.

And Bruce Kaphan as well.

I've been writing, producing, and recording music for about 15 years, mainly electronic, electro-pop, and alt-rock (I play guitar, bass, drums, and do programming).

Now it's time to add some pedal steel to the mix.

I will mainly be using the instrument in ambient music, and not in the more traditional country/blues/swing type setting.

Anyhow, I am also looking for a teacher.

Does anyone here know of anyone in the Seattle area that would be available for some lessons?

I need to learn it all, and would love to get some one-on-one time with someone to show be the basics.

Alright, thanks for reading, and I look forward to my time here.

d.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Hey Daniel and welcome to the forum. Most everyone here will be glad to answer you questions and be right there to give you all the support they can.
If you think you have the urge to play now, just wait until you get your steel!
There will be times when you will love it, you will hate it, but the bug is very strong and you will find almost every wakeing minute thinking about it.
Again, welcome to the world of the pedal steel and the forum and the best of luck to you.
Wally
Hardin, KY
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the instrument and the forum. This forum is a fantastic place to learn about the psg and to hang out and have a few laughs too. good good people here,as you will soon discover.

As for teachers in Seattle...they are a bit hard to come by here. I have been asking for a couple years now for lessons with very little success. However there IS a small group of excellent players in town who will occasionally help out others.
I would suggest you start by going to a couple shows and talk to some of these people. Jon Hyde is playing tomorrow night(May 7):
"Wednesday I’m playing with Transmissionary Six at a special “listening event”. It takes place at the McLeod residence (see below) at 8:00 and it’s free."
Jon doesnt give regular lessons, but is a super nice guy , a very good player and open to all styles of playing...and he likes to talk steel and music as most of us do.

I wish i had more to offer in the way of help. If I knew of a teacher i would not only tell you but would be getting lessons myself. Its a small and close community so i am sure i will be meeting you soon. Best of luck . and if you find a regualr teacher , PM me ;)
Daniel Davis

Post by Daniel Davis »

Ben Jones wrote: I would suggest you start by going to a couple shows and talk to some of these people. Jon Hyde is playing tomorrow night(May 7):
"Wednesday I’m playing with Transmissionary Six at a special “listening event”. It takes place at the McLeod residence (see below) at 8:00 and it’s free."
Hey, these guys sound good.

I think I might check this show out.

I work downtown, and could just walk over.

I just purchased the album from iTunes, and I like what I hear.

Thanks for the tip!

I've been on a two-year break from music, but I feel the urge to play and record again.

It's exciting!
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Daniel Davis wrote:
Ben Jones wrote: I would suggest you start by going to a couple shows and talk to some of these people. Jon Hyde is playing tomorrow night(May 7):
Hey, these guys sound good.

I think I might check this show out.

I work downtown, and could just walk over.

I just purchased the album from iTunes, and I like what I hear.

Thanks for the tip!

I've been on a two-year break from music, but I feel the urge to play and record again.

It's exciting!
You hear that Jon? I just sold a record for you! You owe me brother. ;-)
Yeah, they are a good band for sure. Enjoy the show!
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Not to be a butt-inski here since I'm not in Seattle...

Ben, why don't you give Daniel a lesson? I know you're sort of new to steel too, but I've heard your recordings... you're ready to pass on the torch. Daniel has never touched a steel; at the very least, you could get him headed in the right direction with the basic positions and all that.
Daniel Davis

Post by Daniel Davis »

Ben Jones wrote: You hear that Jon? I just sold a record for you! You owe me brother. ;-)
Yeah, they are a good band for sure. Enjoy the show!
:)

I've been searching for some more, non-country-western music that features the pedal steel.

I really like densely textured, atmospheric music, thus my love for just about anything Daniel Lanois touches.

He has some awesome PSG work on his newest album, Here is What is.

And I recently discovered Bruce Kaphan's solo album, Slider - Ambient Excursions for Pedal Steel Guitar, and it knocked my socks off.

I am looking forward to incorporating this instrument in my new project, which will also include a laptop, a couple of synths, and an electric guitar.

If anyone knows of any more music along these lines, let me know. I love discovering new stuff.
Daniel Davis

Post by Daniel Davis »

Tucker Jackson wrote:Not to be a butt-inski here since I'm not in Seattle...

Ben, why don't you give Daniel a lesson? I know you're sort of new to steel too, but I've heard your recordings... you're ready to pass on the torch. Daniel has never touched a steel; at the very least, you could get him headed in the right direction with the basic positions and all that.
That's a good idea!

I don't even know how to tune the thing....

I am going to order the Pedal Steel 101 course from this site:

http://www.jeffran.com/

The guy who is building my guitar said to check them out.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Tucker Jackson wrote:Not to be a butt-inski here since I'm not in Seattle...

:oops: getting a lesson from me would be like getting a lesson in nuclear physics from homer simpson, sure he works at a nuclear power plant but he dont know what he's doin, and neither do I.
I guess i could try tho, IF after a while of serious lookin someone else does not step up to the plate.
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Daniel,
Feel free to shoot me an email or PM through the Forum. I play every Tuesday at The Little Red Hen, 7115 Woodlawn Ave NE starting at 9:00. I've got some time available to show some stuff, but can't commit to an every week kind of thing. The Tuesday gig is pretty much straight Country, but I've played on all kinds of things over the years. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have figured out a few things over the last 30 or so years.
By the way, Ben, you should come in sometime, buddy. Let's talk.
Dave
Daniel Davis

Post by Daniel Davis »

Dave,

I'll take you up on that. I'll come by soon.
Thanks for the tip! I would appreciate any help I can get.

Ben,

If you've got some time and the desire, just let me know.

Thanks a lot!

d.
Jon Hyde

Post by Jon Hyde »

Hey Daniel,
Welcome aboard, the pedal steel is great, you're going to have a great time. Take Dave up on any offer he makes you, Dave knows his stuff! Thanks for the sale on the Transmissionary Six!! I hope to see you tomorrow - I'll send you an e-mail later, right now I've got a gig at the Tractor I've got to get to!!

Jon
Rick Hulett

Post by Rick Hulett »

Daniel,

I'm kind of in your boat and Tucker has kindly offered to give me a lesson coming up. What he doesn't know is that I have a secret plan to steal all his best licks. Don't tell him.

Rick
Derby D10, Hilton, Peavey 112
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Daniel, you are in good hands with Dave.

Dave I have been meaning to come see you for some time now and will do so soon I promise.

Rick, Tucker is not only an excellent player but an excellent teacher as well. He's very generous with his knowledge and very good at explaining it in an easily understandable way. Some of the very best help I've ever received on this instrument has come from him for sure.

Jon, sorry I can make the show tonight. have a great gig!
Daniel Davis

Post by Daniel Davis »

Jon Hyde wrote:Hey Daniel,
Welcome aboard, the pedal steel is great, you're going to have a great time. Take Dave up on any offer he makes you, Dave knows his stuff! Thanks for the sale on the Transmissionary Six!! I hope to see you tomorrow - I'll send you an e-mail later, right now I've got a gig at the Tractor I've got to get to!!

Jon
No prob man.

Your CD is really nice. I'm digging it. I like the mid-tempo feel. Some of it reminds me of Camper Van Beethoven's Key Lime Pie, and this is a very good thing. I also hear some Lanois-produced Bob Dylan in the compositions, as well as some Badalamenti/Lynch like the stuff they did for Twin Peaks.

In other words, it fits nicely with the kind of music I really like!

I'll see you tonight.

Looking forward to it.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Rick I just noticed this in your sig.
"Used Carter Starter with
bent LKR lever
"
:lol: sounds like you got my old starter
Jon Hyde

Post by Jon Hyde »

Man, there are a lot of great records out there and Key Lime Pie is certainly one them... Not a steel record at all but they can't all be! Looking forward to meeting you tonight Daniel. I'll be the dude with the Sho Bud...
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

well if you want to hear how not to play..

Im am playing

May 9 at conner byrnes with Carrie Biell
there will be another steel player in the maldives you should meet as well

may 14 at the tractor with Carrie Biell

May 15 at the high dive with Jake Hemming

May 16th at the tractor with Chuckanut drive

If you come I will show the things I think really helped me.
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Daniel Davis

Post by Daniel Davis »

Jon Hyde wrote: I'll be the dude with the Sho Bud...
I'll be the dude creepily watching you play...

Daniel Davis

Post by Daniel Davis »

Steve Norman wrote:well if you want to hear how not to play..

Im am playing

may 14 at the tractor with Carrie Biell
This sounds cool.

Might check it out.
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

cool,,the other bands are pretty cool if you hate us.

Carrie is not very country.
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Rick Hulett

Post by Rick Hulett »

Ben,

From what I've gathered that left knee lever thing is a pretty common thing on the Carter Starter. This one came from a guy in Nashville. If it's the same one then it's definitely been around the horn. Other than that knee lever I really don't have any complaints with it. It does what I needed it to do. That said, I'm shopping for a new guitar just as fast as I can.

Rick
Derby D10, Hilton, Peavey 112
Daniel Davis

Post by Daniel Davis »

Steve Norman wrote:cool,,the other bands are pretty cool if you hate us.

Carrie is not very country.
I liked her songs on MySpace - very nice.

Although, it says her new album is available on iTunes, and it's not.

She also doesn't have it for digital download on Amazon.com.

I was going to buy it, but, I can't now (I don't buy CDs anymore!).

Digital albums are the only way to go now.

(Tell her to get it up on iTunes, and I'll buy it!)
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Rick Hulett wrote:Ben,

From what I've gathered that left knee lever thing is a pretty common thing on the Carter Starter. This one came from a guy in Nashville. If it's the same one then it's definitely been around the horn. Other than that knee lever I really don't have any complaints with it. It does what I needed it to do. That said, I'm shopping for a new guitar just as fast as I can.

Rick
yes, i beleive it was a common design flaw that they have since remedied on the newer models. Its unfortunate. I had to return mine to musicians friend.

geez, Steve, you are busy. thats a good thing man.
Jon and Dave too. See Daniel? lotsa work for you here i town once you get up and runnin. We cant let these guys hog all the gigs ;)
Jon Hyde

Post by Jon Hyde »

You know what you would probably like is the band Japancakes. Have you heard them? They are from Atlanta and they are kind of ambient steel based instrumentals. Super cool and super melodic. Not as effect-y as Lanois can sometimes get (ain't knocking it) but same kind of calm vibe. I love their CD "Waking Hours" and also "The Sleepy Strange". Their steeler John Neff is so good