Moving your PSG to a gig

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Ragan

Moving your PSG to a gig

Post by Jim Ragan »

Need some ideas on how to move my old Heavy D12 MSA to different gigs without tearing it down for each move. I usually carry it in SUV and it takes two of us to load it.
Tom Moorman

Post by Tom Moorman »

Jim,

I have the same issue. Last time I carried the pedal bar, rods, and legs in a seperate bag. Helped a little. Using a hand truck makes the movement from SUV to playing area easier.

Toting the D12 saves gym fees!

Tom
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Jim, I don't have a d/12 but my d/10's, I just leave set up and sit it in the back of my Jeep Wrangler against the rear seat with the amp and seat under the guitar and it doesn't move. Of course in case of an accident, the guitar will probably be damaged. I just do this for short trips around town and would not recommend this for long trips. I don't know what kind of SUV you have but you may be able to do that with it. Iv'e had Chevys and Jeeps and both worked well that way.---Henry
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jim Ragan

Loading Up

Post by Jim Ragan »

I was thinking of putting in a sliding floor that would slid out the rear and setting the steel on that and sliding the whole thing back into the suv.
anyone know of an easy way to build that??
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Guys, don't feel bad.
Here's a pic of my (cut down) Hammond B3, Leslie and amp loaded for a gig.
The wood on the right is the bottom of the Leslie.
My pedal steel rig is like a feather compared to this!
-Danny Bates

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Jim, not to toot my own horn, but this is one reason I designed Hatton Split Cases with wheels. Beacause I play vintage heavy weight guitars. I usually just keep the guitar set up and put it in the case upside down. I build wheels on the body case and literally just take the case out of the van, guitar and all, and wheel it right into the gig by the spring handle like luggage with the lid open. Reverse the process at the end of the gig. No more lifting or assembling the guitar. If I can't wheel the case for some reason I just put the pedal rack and legs in the second case and its 20 pounds lighter than carrying the whole guitar in one case. It makes a difference the older you get.
Jim Harper

Post by Jim Harper »

Jim, i have never left my steel setting up while transporting it. I know it is heavey and i got one just like it but it is to hard on the leg,s to leave it set up even if you have room and turn it over in the case with leg,s screwed in they still shake.I would not do that==Jim Harper
Jim Ragan

Hatton Cases

Post by Jim Ragan »

Hello K Hatton,
Got any pictures??/
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Jim, go to www.hattoncases.com
I know a few Nashville guys that leave their steels set up in their cases when either going to a demo session or a gig.
Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 5 May 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

If it were me I would go this little Baby
Image :D
Jim Ragan

Decisions

Post by Jim Ragan »

Which would be cheaper?
David Wrights Fork Lift or Hatton Cases???
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Hummmm Good point Jim :D just a though, just looking at the easy way....not the cheap way, I can sell him a new light weight MSA... cheaper than the lift 8)
Gordon Borland

break it down

Post by Gordon Borland »

I break down my 1974 MSA D10 every gig and load it into the trunk of my Olds. At 61 years old I don't want to think about how to make it easy. I want to lug it in and out of every gig and enjoy the effort. I am very lucky to be able to pack my rig and go to a gig. Now having said that I think it is a guilt trip 'cause I don't play very well :whoa:
Gordon Borland
MSA D10,1974 Fender twin reverb
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Is it really harder on the leg sockets to have the legs vibrating in them while driving than to constantly screw and unscrew the legs? I break down and set up for every gig and for evey rehearsal; on average twice a week.

Dan
Durham, NH
dbmCk mUSIC
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I have an old '95 Plymouth van in which I just set my steel up right behind the back seat already assembled and then set the pack seat (Walker) right under it which is already standing up too. Works great for me. My amp I just slide right in next to it..........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

If you set it up behind your back seat of a van or suv, use soft bungy cords hooked to your head rest to your steel legs it won't move even if you have to slam on your brakes. I know a lot of pickers who carry there steel this way, people with bad backs an other health problems can't carry there steel in the case. Its better then staying at home.

Jerry
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

I'm with Jim Harper on this one, My steel NEVER leaves the house set up. One wreck and i would probably be with out a steel for a while, plus a truck.
Ron Sodos

moving psg

Post by Ron Sodos »

I own a double 12 ShoBud a d10 Fessy and a d10 Zum. I would never even think of taking any of them out of the house without being in the case. NO WAY!!!
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

How's this for old and lazy...I'm waiting on delivery of my second identical Zum U-12 so I can have an upstairs steel and a downstairs steel! (Identical except that one is black with white stripes and the other is white with...you guessed it!...black stripes.

Thinking of switching to lap steel with no volume pedal and a Peavey 112. (Oh for the days when I was a fancy rock and roller with an Italian bodybuilder roadie to carry gear!!!)
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

How's this for old and lazy...I'm waiting on delivery of my second identical Zum U-12 so I can have an upstairs steel and a downstairs steel! (Identical except that one is black with white stripes and the other is white with...you guessed it!...black stripes.

Thinking of switching to lap steel with no volume pedal and a Peavey 112. (Oh for the days when I was a fancy rock and roller with an Italian bodybuilder roadie to carry gear!!!)
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

I would think it would be alot easier to move a D12 in its case, why would you want to move it with out tearing it down you would be really asking for trouble. If it is a weight issue then you need to look into a lighter guitar, The guitar is going to weigh the same weather it
is set up or not.
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

It's a "can't see which rod is which in the dark"and a "everything get's out of adjustment" issue for me. Looking for a safe way to travel set up...
Jim Ragan

Cargo Trailer

Post by Jim Ragan »

I may just go for a small cargo trailer and walk it in.
Robert Leaman

Post by Robert Leaman »

I put my Sierra D10 in its wheeled case, pick it up with my left hand, pick up my NV1000 with my right hand and walk from my car to wherever I am to play.

I was 78 last January and this type of exercise keeps me fit.

The NV1000 goes into the trunk of my Deville and the Sierra, in its case, fits on the floor in front of the rear seats.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Hand truck! You can buy a lightweight job that folds up flat for really cheap--I got one a couple of years ago for $35. Get a medium-weight ordinary hand truck that is convertible to four-wheel flat configuration and you can even roll your entire rig in one load--except if you have to go up or down stairs!

A steel sitting on its legs seems pretty vulnerable and seems to me carrying and loading/unloading a steel in the case with the legs sticking up would be unwieldy, compared to rolling it packed in the case and leaning it on the edge of your tailgate or side door and tipping and pushing it in or out. Just my opinion.

Anyway assembling/disassembling the steel at the gig gives the opportunity for people to gawk at the underside of the steel and marvel at your ability to play the thing! :)