Fooled Around And Fell In Love

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

chris ivey wrote:aesop's foibles...
Why didn't I think of that? I'm so ashamed. (That's my foible.)
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

chris ivey wrote:i like rod, i like the song, and i want a foible!

my thought about videos, which evidently isn't shared by most of you, is that i would prefer to view reality as it relates to the music. watching a steel player or other musician play is more interesting and informative than a video with hippity hop-synched actors with smiley faces, or scenes depicting the dreamlike vision that the video creator wants me to conjure from the song.

my mind is more than capable of conjuring visions and emotions on it's own....the better the song, the better the conjuring!
Its not what we as musicians think or want in a video that matters Chris. Its all about what the product buying public want and what they want is to be entertained. Apparently what they most often find entertaining is a bunch of people in McHammer parachute pants dancin around lip synchin and air guitaring.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i know, ben.....boy are they gonna miss my twenty bucks!
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

Why you didn't think of it Jim is because yer getting old and foible minded!
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I was looking around for any info about who was in the video and I found a better version of it, and in THIS one, you can hear the steel, it's not covered up with the lousy strings:

http://music.clevver.com/video/21537/ro ... n-love.php
Thank you, Patrick. That's what it's supposed to sound like, to my ears. Mebbe my foible isn't so bad after all. Nice playing, whoever played on it. Now if I can just figure out how to save it to my computer - it's being obstinate. I think it's interesting that Sony BMG felt the need to emasculate that beautiful steel playing in favor of synth-strings.

For those of you who think I'm singin' sour grapes - I'm sorry, I beg to differ. I love steel in any context - if I can hear it - call that a foible too. I like to hear our favorite instrument neat, like a good glass of single malt Scotch whiskey. YMMV, but I'm stickin' to my guns, foible or not.
(Can y'all imagine what would have been posted if it had been Robert Randolph playing behind RS?)
Scuse me, but it had been RR playing and they covered it up with synth-strings, I'd have said the same thing.

Youse guys is somethin' else. Throw out one six-bit woid, and you're on it like a fly on a hot toid. ;)
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Youse guys is somethin' else. Throw out one six-bit woid, and you're on it like a fly on a hot toid. ;)

Never kick a hot toid with yer new boots on :D :)
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
William Steward

Post by William Steward »

Now if I can just figure out how to save it to my computer - it's being obstinate.

Dave - if you download the newest version of Realplayer (even the free one) if allows you to save web videos to your local machine. There was another program out there called "kiss" where you inserted kissyoutube in place of youtube in the url address it would hijack the video for you...I haven't used that since I discovered Realplayer (someone figured out how to capitalize on this!!)Cheers, Wil 8)
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

the mixer guy just doesn't like tatts...
Or they look better than his.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bob Bowden

Post by Bob Bowden »

and here is the "non-pedal" version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNdSwlTUvEU
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I amazed...always amazed, you guys can get so plum crazy over nothing but a young blond woman playing our instrument with a famous rock'n roller. :roll:

Is she playing a fancy rig?
No.

Is she really tearin' up the fretboard?
No.

Is what she's doing even audible???
Maybe.

Embarrassing, really...and so much ado about (seemingly) nothing.
:roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Donny no one is goin "plum crazy" or makin any kind of big deal out of anything...we are just wondering who the player is. Its rare to see a psg at all. Its even rarer to see one being played by someone we dont all know already. and its super rare to see one being played by a young lady we dont know, backing a big rock star. no big deal tho.
William Steward

Post by William Steward »

Amen to that Ben!!! It is great to see (and almost hear) steel guitar on any non-country music so let's not be too picky. Especially nice to see players that look this good and nothing wrong with not sporting a beer gut or wearing a cowboy hat. Somewhere out in the audience is a young woman saying, wow that is what I want to play....it's all good :)
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I agree, Wil - I want to see pedal steel in all kinds of music. It doesn't have to be a huge chops display to add plenty. The steel fit in this song perfectly. All IMHO.

Also - please don't take my earlier comments as any kind of criticism of the steel player or of Rod Stewart. I thought it sounded just fine once it lost the synth-string wash that basically covered up the real steel guitar sound, and I can't imagine either of them had anything to do with this.

But it does seems to me that there's some danger if pedal steel is presented in a way that is made to look as if the sound emanating comes off like synth-strings. I think this has the potential to seriously turn off people who might otherwise be turned on. It's like the people I know who are turned off by some modern country music, and consequently damn the whole genre. I know we can't control this - but I don't intend to genuflect to it either, just because they're "big stars".
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

It's a shame about the tats.
I LOVE tatooed ladies. That can be my foible. Hey....another name for a band (all girl presumeably) The Tatooed Ladies! I'd love 'em.
Amor vincit omnia
Mike Poholsky

Post by Mike Poholsky »

Have no idea who the gal is on the video. Darn good lookin, I don't mind a FEW tats at all. I guess we need more women playing steel. Seems to get everyones dander up! I would like to know who originally thought up that guitar solo? Awesome! A Classic!
If that is the track off the record "Still The Same...Rock Classics of Our Time", Greg Leisz gets the credit for steel on that one. Also plays Lap Steel on "If Not For You", Pedal Steel on "Love Hurts", and mandolin on "Its A Heart Ache". Excellent record. Very good version of "Father & Son" (Cat Stevens aka Yusuf Islam)
Rods been around the horn and still has it going on. IMO
Zumsteel 12 Universal
SGBB
ShoBud VP
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

TOIDS & FOIBLES, sounds like a great name for a book store.
I'm sorry I just saw those words in a couple ot threads and couldn't wait to get, toids and foible, together in my vocabulary. Toids isn't a word and foibles sounds French.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

It's every bit as much a woid as woid. Don't argue with me, argue with Groucho Marx. ;-)
Mike Poholsky

Post by Mike Poholsky »

So, does anyone know who the original guitar player was that played that solo? I'm not that familiar with Elvin Bishops band. Was it his guitar player? Seems like someone else covered it. Great solo.
Zumsteel 12 Universal
SGBB
ShoBud VP
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Mike,

Elvin's old drummer replied to a myspace message and this is what he says:

"dave, howdy and thanks for the kind words. actually no one played pedal steel on "fooled around...", that was
johnny v (vernazza) playing with the harmonics and a volume pedal on his 6 string .he saw chet atkins doing it the night before on the tonite show and decided he'd try it out.the rest is history. peace gary"
Bill Bassett

Cool!

Post by Bill Bassett »

Instant Inspiration from Chet. That's the way to do.
I love that story.

BD
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Donny Hinson wrote:I amazed...always amazed, you guys can get so plum crazy over nothing but a young blond woman

What's better than that?......other than, a fiery redhead.......
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Provided all the statements re: Bishop's recorded
rendition of the tune are true, it seems a bit ironic that his biggest hit was done using someone else on vocals and guitar work by his other guitar player and just seems totally out of character for EB's music in general :whoa:

The tune is coming back to me now in bits and pieces and I can recall the volume swells on guitar.

I can't imagine Chet ever did anything that sounded that unpolished.

However, I guess a buck's a buck no matter how you make it. He was an amazing guitar player and his vocals had a certain raw but energetic appeal. Those familiar with Elvin Bishop's previous works will understand where I'm coming from.

But I digress.....the topic is about Rod Stewart's cut and I have to admit I still haven't heard it.

Probably most people don't care about all this history and detail. They like it or they don't....