The new Fender Super Champ XD. 15w Tube amp.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Iain Carmichael

The new Fender Super Champ XD. 15w Tube amp.

Post by Iain Carmichael »

Hi,
Anybody tried one of these?http://elderly.com/fmic/items/FSCXD.htm

Iain.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Moved to Electronics from Steel Without Pedals.

I haven't tried it myself, but you can listen to audio examples with a regular guitar on Fender's web site.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Richard Cooper

CHAMP XD AMP

Post by Richard Cooper »

I have one and I like it .
I left the original speaker in,
don't see a need for a upgrade.
It's a keeper for me.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Here are the reviews on Harmony Central.com. They're generally very favorable. Just keep in mind it's a $300 amp and don't expect the Holy Grail.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

Listening to this amp I walked away thinking it was just "OK" ....A Blues Jr sounds better IMHO ....I think a lot of the reviews hit it on the head ....It has no character ...Not a bad amp, but no WOW factor on any of the settings ....It is what it is ...an OK amp ...Jim
Iain Carmichael

Many thanks for these helpful replies. I'm swithering between the Super Champ and a Blues Jnr- which is more expensive, of course. I'm a beginner with a '36 B6 bakelite Rick trying for the vintage Hawaiian tone. A bit scared of taking on an old tube amp, especially since it'd have to survive the journey across The Pond- thin on the ground in Blighty. You've tried them both, James- I've noted your comments.

Iain.
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Hey Iain,

One amp to consider: See if you can find a used Peavey Classic 20. One of my favorite small tube amps. It will blow either of those amps away (IMHO).
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I've never tried a Peavey Classic 20, but I have a Blues Jr. and have tried the Super Champ XD, and have test-driven the Peavey Classic 30, and from those experiences I feel sure Dan Tyack is correct. The Blues Jr. strikes me as OK, no more, and the reverb sucks! The Super Champ XD totally underwhelmed me. The Classic 30 is an excellent amp, IMO.

BTW, the original Super Champ is a great little amp--early Eighties, designed by Paul Rivera, all tube, 2 6V6s, 18 Watts, classic Fender reverb, 1 X 10, all hand-wired--but unfortunately is now "collectible" and goes for crazy prices. If you ever run across one being sold by someone who doesn't know what they have for, say, $600 or less, grab it fast, if you can!
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

In some ways I like the Classic 20 better than the Classic 30, it's a great little amp!
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Looks,and sounds to be a great little studio recording amp. 8)
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

The Classic 20 is a 15-20 watt job with 2 EL84 power tubes, with a 10" speaker, and is single channel.

Peavey also has a small 15 watt single ended class A tube amp called a Windsor Studio. I've never tried it, but it looks interesting. Kind of like a THD Univalve in a single 12" cab (except made in China and a lot cheaper). It's a little heavier and bigger than the other amps mentioned.
Iain Carmichael

Thanks, guys. Just the kind of info. I was looking for. Now there are some more avenues to explore.

Iain.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

you really wanna knock your socks off ? go plug into a Matchless Class A 15 watt amp. They are only $2500 !

I am going to plug into one of these 15 watt Fenders next week, it was on the floor @GC but I didn't think anything of it until now.
Iain Carmichael

Thought a Matchless was a motorbike? Guess that dates me pretty accurately.

Advertising in UK for Peavey Classic 20 and Fender Super Champ, early 80s. But I'm not holding my breath. However, thanks, gentlemen.

Iain.
Ron Whitfield

WHOA NELLIE

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Before you toss off big $, wait til your local shop gets the MicroCube Bass RX, and try that.
Janet Newsom

Post by Janet Newsom »

When were the Peavey Classic 20 and 30 amps built?
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

The Classic 30 is still being built. I'm not sure when the Classic 20 was built, but they're still available on ebay.
Janet Newsom

Post by Janet Newsom »

Thanks Dan, I'm off to Ebay.
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Hi, Iain. I've been on the back of a `Matchless`. It's louder than any amp out there. Me thighs are still shaking. :)

Arch.
I'm well behaved, so there!
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I think Fender is seeing the Valve Junior doing a big market,
and is jumping on the small tube amp bandwagon with this one.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Iain Carmichael

Hi Arch,
You know what they say: a thigh in need is a thigh indeed. :lol:

Iain.
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

I like my little Pro Junior. Cheap, sounds great, loud, simple. 2 EL84's & 2 12AX7's. No reverb though.
Also it's light so it's easy on the thighs.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I checked out this amp Sunday at GC. I guess if someone is really looking for extreme effects with about a dozen preset overdrives and without a foot switch for effects this would be ok. All and all the GC sales guy and I both came to the same conclusion. The market for this amp is entry level metal head who will sit in there bedroom for hours wearing headphones .

Now, I did go in the enclosed amp room and played thru the VOX AC15, 15 watt Class A with a single 12.

Amazing comes to mind...Very very clean and loud or VERY VERY NASTY and loud, or anything in between. $599...
Iain Carmichael

Thanks everybody for these interesting and helpful posts on basis of which I've decided to give it a miss. Going to try to find an old tube amp over here in the UK- Champ, Princeton Reverb, Deluxe/Deluxe Reverb or some such. There's gotta be one in somebody's attic....surely?? :)