What do you sit on?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Mansueto

What do you sit on?

Post by Mark Mansueto »

This is actually a serious question because I'm not very happy with any of the devices that I sit on while playing. Seems like i'm either stretching my neck or extending my left arm to the point of discomfort after a while.

Here are my scenarios at home:
-For serious practice/rehersal I use one of two armless office type chairs with wheels.
-I often sit on the couch in front of the TV with my feet up on the coffee table.
-Occasionally I'll sit on our bed when I want quiet.
-I sit on the floor and play when I'm hangin' with my dog.

When I play out I don't bring any sort of sitting device so I'm at the mercy of whatever is available.

What I'd like to find is a chair or stool where my feet are flat on the floor with knees bent at a 90 degree angle with a back support that is more upright than a typical chair and also have enough padding to be comfortable. A huge plus would be if this device could be folded up for transport but I would be happy just to find a proper chair for playing.

FYI, I have short legs so many standard chairs are a bit too tall for me and the folding type chairs used with card tables have backs that are angled back too far.

So what do you use? Any good suggestions?
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

A steel guitar pac-a-seat is still by far the best choice. They're not just for pedal steel players. Lots of companies make them. You can get them tweaked to the perfect height,the legs fold up and they hold all your cables,strings and stuff inside.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

This one courtesy of Thom Beeman:

Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I use a Sho-Bud made pack-a-seat that I've owned since the 1970s. It's my chair of choice. I've re-stuffed the padding twice and it just keeps going. It holds all my equipment (pedals, extra strings, etc.), folds up to a nice compact shape, and is the proper height for my playing.

I know that David Lindley uses a drummer's throne with a contoured seat.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

The pac-a-seat looks pretty cool, how much does it weigh?

Here's a few ideas that look interesting to me but I have no idea how they would work for lap steel:

drum throne
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--KAMKT708

bag chair
http://www.koolestproducts.com/p-74-koo ... chill.aspx

camp stool
http://www.sitincomfort.com/lachgrme.html

guitar chair
http://www.originalguitarchair.com/overview.html

folding stool
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Folding-2%2 ... 430&sr=8-9
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

And then there's always an orange crate. :roll:
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Erv, I use two of them stacked together with a piece of plywood at home. It will get you by. If I ever retire my old Sho-Bud seat and get a newer one I MIGHT get rid of the crates.(LOL) :lol: Marty B.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I bought this portable folding stool from Qwik-Seat:
http://www.qwikseat.com/

I don't use it all the time, but it is comfortable and very portable.

I also have a portable piano bench that I used to carry with me, but most of the time I just play on the seats that the venue provides.
Rocky Hill

Post by Rocky Hill »

I use a drummers stool, it sturdy, comfy, adjustable, swivels, it breaks down and the legs fold upfor easy storage.

Rocky
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Real steel guitarist don't eat quiche, and they always stand when playing. :D
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

It also takes a real man to wear pink! :D
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

With my wooden guitars including the electrics my chair was never an issue. I used whatever was necessary. But the metal tricone keeps wanting to slip off my lap. I can't hold it up and play it at the same time. So I need a chair of some sort.
Amor vincit omnia
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

I use a nice 4-legged Tama drum throne. Very comfortable, portable, and height adjustable.
Mike Meadors

Post by Mike Meadors »

On stage, I sit on the end of the amp with the lap steel on my lap. That's why I'm looking for a good stand.
George Piburn

edit

Post by George Piburn »

edit
Last edited by George Piburn on 19 Jun 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Fold up piano bench from Guitar Center. Very inexpensive and adjustable in height.

To transport I wrap a bungee cord around it. Simple,cheap,replaceable,functional.

my 2c
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

if you're playing a tricone......... standing.......forget it!

try doing that for a 4 hour gig! I like sitting ;)
Keith Wells

Post by Keith Wells »

On the steel I'm almost always on one of two seats: An armless office chair beside the computer or a piano bench.

Neither one is ideal, but the piano and the computer are my best teachers.
-- Keith
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

my ideal would be a drum throne (heavily padded) on wheels. You can move around if needed (say to switch guitars), swivel to see other players AND it folds up.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

This is the best seat (for me) that I've come across....it folds into practically nothing and has infinate ajustment because the seat floats.....there are no fixed increments....you set it wherever you need to........it's very comfortable and has a back....

what I like, is that I can use this seat with a variety of steels, pedal & non pedal and resonator guitars that require different heights.....especially resonators where the knee angles are important....the adjustment is extremely quick & simple......you can adjust it to an almost standing postion also.....

I have pac a seats, stools, keybord benches.....but I always use this......

http://www.sharmusic.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=MSC500&Cat=
Russ Little

Post by Russ Little »

myself I use a black folding stool from walmart
its light cheap and easy to transport.
I did saw off the legs a bit to adjust to my steel.
I pack all my other junk in a brief case.
If I need to be that comfortable I stay in
my easy chair. :lol:
Andrea Bonino

Post by Andrea Bonino »

i played a gig recently with Bertrand Galen, the cello player in the song that won the Oscar (http://www.myspace.com/theswellseason), and Chris Percival on guitar..
i sat on the Schlagwerk marimbula, which i used for a couple of tunes where i wasn't playing the tricone.. very nice projection and sound, plus the bonus of having most of the audience staying until the end of the gig.. if not for the music, at least to ask: WTF is dat thing you're sitting on? :D
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

This has turned out to be an interesting thread, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

At this point I'm leaning towards a drum throne with a back because it seems to have many good qualities:
-adjustable
-comfortable
-transportable
-most freedom while playing

Obviously drummers need leg freedom and I use pedals with electric so this may work great, plus I'll be able to swivel like when I use an office chair.

I would also like to try one of the cheap folding stools mentioned by Russ and Howard and seem similar to the one from Target (my folding stool link) because they seem the most portable.

I personally need back support so benches or stools with no back are not an option for me.

Standing would only be an option with guitars that either have the right shape to be held or set on a stand. It would be too hard to adapt all guitars to either so I need a sitting device. Also, I would never practice for hours standing up.
Dave Sky

Post by Dave Sky »

Mark,
At home I use a Pick n Glider. It has great back support. I can sit for hours in it. I did redo the foam after a few years to a heavier foam. I recommend this chair for practicing. People who come over and try it out never want to get out of it. Yea, I watch movies in it too.

http://pick-n-glider.com
or
Musician's Friend
I bought from the guy who makes them so I could get a color I wanted.

For gigs, I use whatever I can find and keep a folding chair in the van.
Robbie Daniels

Post by Robbie Daniels »

I prefer to use a folding piano bench with thick cushion. Very comfortable and has four settings for height adjustments.
Carter D12, MSA S12, 12 String Custom Made Non-Pedal, Evans FET 500LV, Evans SE200, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Steel King