"Poppin' Corn" - Roy Nichols/James Burton

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Pete Finney

"Poppin' Corn" - Roy Nichols/James Burton

Post by Pete Finney »

I've been knee-deep in all of the old "Strangers" instrumental stuff, thanks to the new Bear Family "Hag" box-set that collects all of them on CD (first CD release of any of the instrumental albums I believe). There are fantastic extensive notes by guitar-whiz Deke Dickerson, who I notice has been posting here lately; great work Deke!

I'm as big a Roy Nichols (and Norm Hamlett) fan as their is and I'm just in hog heaven with all this stuff, but I've got one fairly trivial hair-splitting question about a track that maybe either Deke or Norm can answer: The song "Poppin Corn" I've always assumed was Roy Nichols, there's no mention of any other players on the original album (which I've had for 35 years). But it turns out James Burton was on a few sessions for that album along with Roy, including the one where they cut that track. There's a fantastic twin-guitar "San Antonio Rose" with James and Roy that was never released until now, and I assume that James is reprising his Mosrite "dobro" finger-picking part on "Mama Tried". After listening to the two play side by side (where it's quite easy to tell them apart) I can't help thinking that "Poppin Corn" (which is one of my favorite tele instrumentals ever) sounds more like James Burton than Roy. I know that Roy was often happy to defer to James when they were both on a session; is it possible they featured James on this track? Not that Roy couldn't have easily played it, somehow it just sounds more like Burton to me...

It doesn't really matter of course, but this is such a great place to get info (sometimes right from the source) that I can't help asking...

Any ideas? Deke? Norm? Steve Hinson? Jason Odd? Anybody?

And Norm, thanks again for all the great music, it's sure nice to have so much of your playing in one place!

Edited to say that I just noticed that Deke specifically says in the notes that it's Nichols on this track so I'm probably wrong; it sure wouldn't be the first time! But I think I'll leave the post as is just for the hell of it...
Last edited by Pete Finney on 21 Apr 2008 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Don't know the answer, but Poppin' Corn is one of my favorites.
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Okay,if you guys dig a little harder,you'll find My Good friend " Al Bruno " on some of them that his name is not on. Roy,James & Al are all good friends.It also could be Merle you know,Haggaerd! This is were some of the history mix is out of sink in the off the record over dubs. The right people are on this forum that tell you,right Norm & Biff. Sincerely in Music,Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Leo, I agree, our old bud Al is on some of the old Strangers things but I only recall him doing acoustic guitar work with Merle's band. As far as Merle himself, I don't think he was much on guitar when those things were cut. Merle really came on in later years as an electric player and a fairly good fiddler.

Pete, do they do "Stumblin'" on this recording(s)? I always liked that one and have been trying to get it right for years........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Yes "Stumblin" is on this set; it really is complete as far as I can tell, with every Strangers cut ever released and a few that were never released before. And as you know, on "Stumblin" Merle acknowledges Al Bruno by name at the beginning ("hey Al Bruno, grab a guitar...") which is nice. He does that for everyone in the band at some point...

I can't remember the name of the song, but there's even a vocal track on the "I Take a Lot of Pride in What I Am" album where Merle mentions Al's name right before a solo. How many other artists do that for the players? A bit more of the Bob Wills influence I guess, since he was so famous for that ("Take it away, Leon").

Merle is the ultimate "class act" in my opinion...
Kent Thompson

Post by Kent Thompson »

Merle was a great bass player for the Legandary Buck Owens!
Kent
Dave Biller

Post by Dave Biller »

i though it was Wynn Stewart that Merle played bass for. did he play for Buck, too?

Pete, i have every one of those Strangers albums and i went through a time years ago when i listened to them almost non stop. i spent a lot of time studying the playing of Roy Nichols. i'm almost positive that is Roy on poppin' corn. 'course, it would be no surprise if i was wrong!
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I really don't remember Poppin Corn very well. Roy said he got the idea for Stealin Corn from Jimmy Bryant. Another guy that played on some of Merle's stuff was his rhythm player Bobby Wayne. I commented to Roy about the part on Daddy Frank. I thought it was him but he said it was Bobby. Hag loves good pickers and uses a lot just because he likes to hear them pick. For instance Jerry Reed played on Okie From Muskogie.
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

From what site can this box set be purchased?
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Maybe some of it was Roy's brother Jim. Jim sure could chicken pick and did a lot of them double bin 6 notes.Or,Maybe it was me! I don't remember.I'll have to ask Merle or matbe Norm will tells us.> Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.
norm hamlet

Poppin Corn Instrumental

Post by norm hamlet »

Hello Pete my friend, and thanks for asking about the Popping corn Instrumental.
That is a composition that we heard Buck Trent play on Banjo and Roy said we have to do that on our instrumental Album. Roy had Buck play it for him so he could learn just how it went. When we got in the studio Roy was just playing the fire out of it.
So the answer to the question is yes Roy did play that one on the session. It says on the liner notes that Trent and Cochran wrote that one. Roy was exited about cutting that one, he said that is right up my alley. I miss Roy very much, He was and still is one of a kind.
Thanks Norm Hamlet
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Hi Norm, hope you're well! I was hoping you'd chime in with the scoop. Did I hear something about you guys coming to the Ryman soon?

I'm happy to be wrong on this one, for sure! And it was worth it to be so VERY wrong in public to get the inside story of how the song got cut. 8) Roy is one of my all-time heroes; his solo on the instrumental version y'all did of "Every Fool Has a Rainbow" is one of my favorite solos ever. And "Poppin' Corn" has been the first song on several "tele" mix tapes and CDs I've made over the years, the best single example of "chicken picking" I can think of... The night I got to jam with Roy is one of my all time favorite moments ever. It was about 1977 maybe; I was in the house band that night at the "Wheeling Feeling Jam Session" upstairs from the "Wheeling Jamboree". A bunch of Strangers and Texas Troubadours came in and I got to stay up and play with all of them (I assume because no steel player in their right mind wanted to drag their guitar up those two long flights of stairs...).

Mike, I think I got the set from "CD Universe", I'd shop around a bit for the best price since Bear Family sets are not cheap, I know I got it quite a bit below the list price. Here's a link to a thread with more info (which also links to another thread about the previous "Hag" set that came out last year). Both among my most treasured possessions!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=131633
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Dave Biller wrote: I spent a lot of time studying the playing of Roy Nichols.
Hey Dave, it shows (and that's a good thing for sure!); I love the way you play... and of course you were right. 8)

From what I've heard/read Haggard played bass with Buck for a very short time (but long enough to come up with the name for Buck's band!).
norm hamlet

Poppin Corn

Post by norm hamlet »

Hello Pete,
Yes we are booked at the Ryman on June 25th hope to see you there. It is on a wednesday I think.
I am sure sorry I missed that jam session in 1977 I would have liked to just be there to watch all of you guys play. I am sure it would have been an event to see. Norm
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Hey Norm,thanks for the wonderful visit at Fender Center Museum with Eddy Drake & myself & Ron Epperson. It sure put some spirit back into Eddy. Your old friend,Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Norm, I gotta say having folks like you on the forum really takes it to another level, and getting your inside look at classic records that influenced so many of us is just priceless. Got any more good stories about making those instrumental albums? :)

As far as that jam session, you're very kind, but I'll put it this way... I'd give anything for a picture if there were one but I think I'd be pretty embarrassed if there were a recording; I hadn't been playing that long and was in pretty deep over my head with some of those guys! But it sure was fun...

Hope to see you in June...
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Pete,
Does the bear collection include
"The Bottle Let Me Down"?
Phil Baugh said he played on the original session track. I always thought it was Burton's guitar parts until I heard Phil play it live. Nobody played like Phil, yet when Phil chose to emulate another players style he could usually play as well, if not better. He was an amazing guitarist from that early period. Its sad that his recorded contributions are often overlooked.

Paul
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Hi Paul,

That song is on an earlier "Bear Family" set, "Untamed Hawk", that has the earlier Hag stuff. It also has the usual detailed and well researched discography that lists the players for each individual session, day by day; it lists James Burton as playing on "The Bottle Let Me Down" and most of the material from that era (65-66), but lists Phil Baugh as playing on the session where they cut "Swinging Doors".

I caught MANY of your gigs with Phil back in the day at the old 'Hall of Fame Lounge", some pretty incredible nights... And that guy that used to play with Phil there before you was pretty good too! 8)
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Pete,

Must be my age interfering with my memory. I meant "Swinging Doors".

Phil was a giant and very creative.

PF
Kent Thompson

Post by Kent Thompson »

Paul,

What was it like playing on the Buck Owens session for the album "Kickin' In"
Kent
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

i was hoping someone would chime in with Phil's name in this thread. I knew he was included in this box set too.

here's a PHIL BAUGH TRIBUTE
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Scott,

That made me smile. Thanks for posting the link to Phil's Myspace page.

PF
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

thanks Paul, glad you liked it.

I created that myspace page and it's really been nice to correspond with Phil's kids and grandkids, who I never knew til I put the page up. Never had the honor of meeting or seeing Phil in person.

I'd love to include any words, memories or stories you might want to share about your buddy Phil Baugh.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I too am saddend that Phil is so overlooked..And to so is Paul srs creativity. That was also quite a Guitar.