Masga Fayetteville nc Event

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bowie Martin

Masga Fayetteville nc Event

Post by Bowie Martin »

It was a great event in Fayetteville this past weekend. We had about 20 steels set up at one time (with room for a few more)...Ken Latchum was elected the new president, Kim Altman, Secretary, and Larry Hyde, Treasurer. Ken announced the clubs membership before the people had joined and renewed that day, was approximately 150 - a great feat for an organization that has been in existance for only 1 year; Ken complimented the founder Skip Mertz on the great foresight and hard work he put into getting it off the ground. A great varid format followed, with round robin playing, single presentations to tapes, and then playing to a band, that offered a lot of traditional songs, and then some that challenged the group, which was very good. Thanks again to the Fayetteville group - Skip Mertz, past president Jimmy Brown, and the rock of gibralter of the organization - Ed Shoemaker; not only does he do a great job, but then plays like very few of us can.
One more comment - Ken stressed this was an organization that is for all players - new, intermediate, and advanced, and everyone is treated equal. Players of every ability can play at our events, and get recognization, encouragement, and respect...Thanks again guys for such a great job...
Glen E. Lanning

Post by Glen E. Lanning »

It was a GOOD time. I wasn't able to be there both days, but Saturday was GOOD!! Arnet and Shoe really do an excellent job. I want to thank Jimmie Brown, "Shoe" Shoemaker, Skip Mertz, and you Bowie for a good start this past year. I've met steel players I would have never even known lived in this end of the country. Thanks. And for steel players on the East Coast who have not joined yet; come on down!! Especially if you are just a new steel player. Where else can you get a chance to join in and be encouraged. Image
Ken Latchum

Post by Ken Latchum »

Hi Bowie,MASGA members and Steelguitar Friends: I want to thank all of you for the opportunity to serve as your new President of the MASGA this next year 2002/2003. I accepted the Challenge to make a great organization even greater. This organization came from 0 membership to approx 150 members in one year. This should tell everyone that loves steelguitar there was a need out there for steelguitar to have an outlet to be played and heard especially since very little steelguitar is heard in todays Country Music. I personally want to thank Skip Mertz for his foresight in seeing the need out there and doing something about it. We have a great group of folks and I encourage everyone that loves steelguitar and steelguitar music to come out to one of our Jams (I promise you will not be dissappointed)We do a very good job of keeping things moving. We had folks from 6 different states at the Jam in Mt.City tn. and what a great Jam that was! We had a couple from Pennsylvania by the Name of Russ and Betty Kern attending and they fell in love with us(THE MASGA) they came back again to our Fayetteville Jam this past weekend. (Now I call that Real Support) Our next Jam will be the Last weekend of Sept (9/28) & (9/29) at the Wilson NC. Convention Center. Make your plans now to attend. This will be a great event! beautiful facility. Thank you again for all your support and this great opportunity to serve a great organization promoting Steelguitar for all players from the very beginner to the advanced.
Ken Latchum
President MASGA
(Mid Atlantic Steelguitar Association) http://www.masga.org <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ken Latchum on 13 August 2002 at 06:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Kim Altman

Post by Kim Altman »

Hi ya'll!

Bowie, Glen and Ken have pretty much said it all . . . this really is a great organization and has just grown with leaps and bounds this past year! Players of every ability do indeed get to shine at our events and there's always lots of encouragement, respect and fun! The steel guitar community as a whole is a wonderfully open-armed community as I have learned this past year -- it's been great to meet some many wonderful people who share the same love and excitement for the steel guitar. I look forward to serving as Secretary this coming year and I urge everyone to send any comments or suggestions they may have to better our Association to me. Those of you that missed the jam this past weekend missed another good one! Image I encourage everyone to come out and join in the fun . . . start making your plans for Wilson next month!

Kim Image
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kim Altman on 13 August 2002 at 08:01 AM.]</p></FONT>
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

I just want to say I.m sorry for just getting up and packing up and leaving the way I did but there was a reason OK the reason is I do not like someone laughing at me when I make a mistake and can't get going .I don't know why this happens so I will and I mean I will leave my Steel in the steel room for my own enjoyment.I will come to the shows and sit and listen that is all until I can play as good as the rest so that will be a long time.
Sam White
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Bump<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 13 August 2002 at 10:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

Sam,
I hate to hear that somebody laughed at you and if I were there I would have confronted them. But, don't let one horses ass turn you off to playing at these get-togethers.
I'll tell you what, the next time I come to one of these jams I'll set up next to you and there best not be anyone laughing at you.
As far as laughing at somebody I laugh at myself all the time but thats just me.
You hang in there and never let them see you sweat. Although in Mtn. City it was hard not to. LOL.
Sam I've never seen anyone who loves the instrument as much as you and it was great meeting you in Tn. last month.
Mike<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Sweeney on 13 August 2002 at 10:47 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Sweeney on 13 August 2002 at 10:48 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

Well Folks as always...it was a great time. Lots of steels set up and lots of styles to listen to. I was pleasantly shocked when Wash said he was a bit nervous in the crowd.(hehe)Great steeler!!!I thought it was us rookies who got a case of the nerves all the time. Heck I think Arnet Mills got a little nervous especially when I hugged him(HA!!)What a great job on "Over The Rainbow". Man was I happy when we were playin round robin and Mansion on a Hill came up. I knew that Baby. AND THEN.... I realized some of our friends from up home were sittin behind me and I went brain dead(HA!!) Blew it!!!. OH well there is next month... Just gotta sharpen those picks a bit...or is it the brain. I was extremely happy to see Mr Mertz playin with the boys this time. I could tell he was havin fun too. Kimberly you are completely nuts girls but we love ya. We'll see ya tonight. Guys and gals I just want to thank you all for having such a fine organization. I recall my first couple of times when I felt like the low man on the totem pole and everything I did embarrasses me. Well today I am "proud to announce" that I am still low man on the pole when it comes to ability and I still embarrass myself but I am high on heart and it's because of all of you. You folks have made this journey really great fun and I hope the ride never ends. Sam I don't want to believe there is a person in that organization who would laugh at another man's weakness...but on the other hand if laughter wasn't a lot of our fun times then I would still be in my room playin all alone. If someone laughed I am sure it wasn't at any weakness you may have. I laugh at Kim all the time and she laughs at me. I laugh at Skip and he laughs at me...but it's never in a derogatory way. Remeber the other night when I was playing at Roberts and I totally screwed up that song and you were laughing and so was I. Lighten up my friend...I hope by now you know we all care about you and Anna a lot. Remember you ole phart...you are retired now..it's time to have a little fun with your friends. If I didn't bring my steel till I was as good as the rest you folks would be burying me with it without me playing with you again. And I have way too much fun to pass these jams by. I said I was going to the next Saluda jam till I found out it was the same time as ours. Man I know they are good folks but how in the world can a person have more fun than with the Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Association. Mike did ya have a good time or what????(HA)We ran outta chairs in Mountain City and poor ole Mike Sweeney had to sit on the floor. Got a picture on our web site to prove it(HEHE). HMMM Never before have I seen a man play a steel guitar in that position. What can I say.. the boy's good. Any of you folks that can read this and are near enough you should sign up and start playin some music with us. Take Care and God Bless you all

Ray Walker
(watch them guitars folks cause I'm always on the prowl to steel your licks)
Ken Latchum

Post by Ken Latchum »

(From the Pres)=I will add this in to this thread. All of you folks know and see the only way I ever get to hear how good my guitar sounds is when I have Arnett Mills or Jerry Fleming play it for me. I am a closed Door bedroom picker that loves steelguitar and can't play doodley sticks out infront of people because I get so nervous. You wouldn't think so for the way my upper and lower lips bump against each other on the stage all the time (but thats just the way it is). I agree with you Ray as I feel if there was any laughing done it would be someone laughing along with another person and not directed at someone in a detrimental way. I have never known anyone in this organization to be ridiculed in anyway for their inability to perform or play as good as the next person. I would "as most of you know" would immediately get involved to handle a situation as needed if I were made aware of it. I can't play now and probably never will. I laugh at myself mostly for having the guts to even try. So everyone can join in for the fun and laugh with me. Come one, Come all and join in on the fun at our MASGA Jams! You'll be glad you did.
Thanks Ken Latchum
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

Sam, sorry you felt someone laughed at you. I was sitting right across from you and did not pick up on that...I certainly did not see any player laugh, although there was (and always is) a lot of other conversations going on in the room. With all those super pickers there, I just about froze when Ken asked for me to open the show, but I relaxed a little when he said the opening number was "Faded Love." Thought I could nail that one, then on the opening note missed the whole durn thing, but just kept going - had to laugh at myself on that one. For the past year I have never seen anyone laugh at anyone, and believe me, I have given everyone opportunity to belly laugh frequently at my playing.
Glen E. Lanning

Post by Glen E. Lanning »

Sam,

Check your e-mail. I agree with Ken. We all get tight in front of other steel players and lose it. The 3 songs I played sounded good in front of my stereo at home; but I clutched on each one. Keep it up. This organization is to have fun and help each other.

------------------
Dekley 8/4 (1984)
ShoBud Professional 1969?)D10 8/4

Russ

Post by Russ »

Hi Everyone, Just had to add a reply about last weekend in Fayetteville. It was just the greatest time that you can Imagine. Everyone was so great & Friendly. I'm glad I finally got enough courage up to play out side my own little room even tho I did mess up. It was all because of the Encouragement from all of you that I could even try it, so thank you for that. I think that this Org. is about the best there is. Anyone who is not yet a member must Join, it will be the best $20 that you can spend, believe me. Thanks Again everyone for everything. Hope to see you again in Wilson, NC next month.
Any one that would like a Picture that I may have taken just E-Mail me & I will E-Mail them to You.

------------------
Russ Kern

Kim Altman

Post by Kim Altman »

Ray!

I can't BELIEVE you laugh at me! Ha! Ha! (Kidding!) I'm with the majority on this one -- it's all about sharing and having fun and if anyone is laughing, it's certainly not malicious. Everyone I've met in this Association has been great and I've never seen anything happen such as you mentioned, Sam -- perhaps you misunderstood.

Russ!

It was great to meet you, your wife and Wash! I'm glad you finally played too! You sounded good! Keep at it! Image I know what you mean about the encouragement from everyone. They've certainly all been encouraging to me and that gives me the courage to try . . . (I probably shouldn't say that out loud -- they may quit with the encouragement now that they know why I play! Ha!) I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again in Wilson. Oh! I'd love to have some of those pictures! Image (That would make some good "hush money" stuff, wouldn't it?! I want all of Ray Walker that you have! Ha!)

Kim Image
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kim Altman on 14 August 2002 at 12:48 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

In all probability, I am sure Sam misunderstood what the unknown parties were laughing at. I was as nervous as a long tailed tom cat in a room full of rocking chairs and as such played much below what I believe my potential to be. I heard chuckles around the room and on previous meetings have heard laughing, but never have I heard anyone laugh at another steeler because of his performance. They did laugh at me the time I dropped the bar trying to do one of "E's" backward slants. I will have to admit, I thought it was funny too. I even stood up and took a bow. Sam, you got to be thick skinned in the world of steel guitars. DON'T LET IT GET TO YOU. Laugh with them and you will find yourself having fun too.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 14 August 2002 at 07:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

DO NOT!!!! I REPEAT... DO NOT!!!! Let Kim get hold of any pictures of me. I have reason to believe that she is secretly altering them and posting them on the internet(HEHE). Kenny I confess... I too was one of those that laughed when that bar left your hand.(HEHE) I still laugh when I remeber the expression on your face and how you were trying to get a grip on it before it hit that Mullen. It was a performance worth taking a bow over. Your performance on that steel was great too. You have style and grace my friend. And if you were a "tad" nervous then it could only be because Kim was sittin next to you watching everything you do. Boy what fun we have. The Wilson jam is going to be a great one too. Rumor has it that Boo Miller is puttin something together in the future which I can assure you will promise to be a fun time as well. Let's face it folks...the Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Association can sure throw a good time. Imagine what we will be like 3 years down the road. We now have a big membership that is growing rapidly. Many new comers are just starting out on the steel. It's a place to come out and play what you have learned without fear of being embarrassed. I still get a case of the nerves but they are gone within the first hour or so. I still can't play like many of the "old timers" but they have given me the encouragement and confidence to appreciate their presence now. I learn so very much each and every time I go and the most remarkable thing is that these folks who have worked hard for 10-20-30+ years are more than willing to "give" me a part of what they have worked so long for. I don't have another 30 years to learn the things I want to so keep that advice coming to me.. and thanks a million for all your help.

Ray Walker
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

I do think that it is kind of humorous that I can spend hours and days working on a few numbers to do at the show, and then when the time comes, don't remember what the A or B pedal do! And ever worse,spent many many hours working up "Peace in the vally
" for the Sunday morning session; then when I tried to go over it real quick, forgot the whole melody!!!!!! (Like, thats a new song or something!!!!) - Playing in front of other steelers (even when they are great friends and most supportive) can really test me...It really just effects my timing, ability to hold the bar, how I mash the pedals, and my memory; other than that I am o.k.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Hey Bowie, sounds like a "senior moment" to me. Been there, done that!
Shoe
Bob Hayes

Post by Bob Hayes »

I had a Wonderfull 10 hour drive to & from Fayetteville,NC.this past weekend..and was inspired by my MSAGA friends to keep on pickin'..and studying..and working on all the formalaties of pickin' the PSG..I recieved advise from many on technigue,attack,sound ,tone and material..plus recieved a few unearned compliments..I had a great time with ya'll and the constructive critisizms were great as well as the fellow ship.It was realy a big happy family event..but I'm sorry that there was a misunderstanding..with some on Sunday..This association IS FOR Everyone on every level..even the one's like me who thought that they were on a higher leval than they actually are. We have some of the BEST..non professional pickers that there are in this organization..As a relativley "Newbie" to the MSAGA..I see only growth and improvement ahead in the future..and the new leaders will take us to even a higher level. So thank you for letting me be a part of this..Thanks Skip,Arnnet,Shoe, for you're assistance, and KEN,Ray,Kim, Bowie,Kenny, and some of the others for you're encouragement.
See you at Wilson City ,NC for the Next One
Bob Hayes..The Grouchyvet Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hayes on 15 August 2002 at 08:39 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Hayes

Post by Bob Hayes »

By the way..
My computer is still not back from sunny California..so I'm using the computer from the County library..till I'm back up
Grouchyvet
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Bowie,
Sorry I missed this one! I was in Saluda, SC for the convention down there. I hope the schedules don't overlap again. I'll be at the one in September for sure. By the way, when do my dues expire? I joined the last time we were in Wilson, NC and I'd like to keep active as much as I can. One great thing happened the last time I was in Wilson. I got to meet the Turner brothers. Joe was at Saluda on Saturday night and did a monster job of pickin' as usual. He's got a touch which is different than most players and he really cooked in the Jam Session. He held his own on a S-12 E9th against all those D-10's.
Sam, I hope you set up your stuff again at Wilson and I'd like to meet you. If there's any laughing to be done it'll be at me. We're all brothers (& sisters) in this great instrument. I play a few other instruments and no matter what I've never seen any other instrument with the following of the steel guitar. How many guitar, fiddle, mandolin, piano, trumpet, etc. associations are there? I haven't heard of any. I love this dang thing!!!!!!

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Kim Altman

Post by Kim Altman »

Hi everyone!

Ray, you're too late, got a great picture of you and Deb . . . hmmmmmm . . . what WILL I do with it now? Ha! I guess since Deb's in it too, I'll just hang onto that one for a while! Image (Lucky for you!) Kenny, I got a picture of me and you from Ken Latchum and I'm sure he won't mind me passing it on to you. I've got a couple of things I'm working on for the Wilson jam, so all ya'll better be practicing. There's nothing like going to these jams to keep the "fire" blazing. Only problem is, with so many great pickers in our Association, it's hard to decide who I want to be when I grow up! Image

Well, I've got to go make two money trees for a birthday party tomorrow, so I'm going to run for now. Looking forward to seeing you all in Wilson!

Kim
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Bowie I want to thank you for all the support you gave me last night and for introducing my Wife and I to Clyde Maddox and Van from the Greenville area.I got a lot of Information and learned a lot from both of them.Clyde is a fantastic Steel player and his 16 year old son does a supper job for only starting this summer. He has gone by me and a couple of more in our Association.I will be at the next show in Wilson as long as you guys can put up with me.I will be in Rhode Island running our Steel show Sept 22nd and I'm very sorry to say it maybe the last one as the guys do not keep in contact with one another.I will see what they have to say about it.It was also very nice meeting your beautiful Wife Melba. We enjoyed the time we had last night at Bill Ellis Convention Center.
Best Regards
Sam White <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 17 August 2002 at 07:15 AM.]</p></FONT>