N. Calif. steel jam moved to 8/3

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bill Llewellyn

N. Calif. steel jam moved to 8/3

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

The original 7/20 date didn't work out for a number of our regional players, but 8/3 seems to fit the bill. So we're on! Here's the announcement page:

http://www.rahul.net/thinker/steeljam.html

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?</font>
Pete Grant

Post by Pete Grant »

What's the format? Concert? Cluster-pluck? Any luminaries?
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Pete,

In the past jams I've been to (all hosted by Richard Sinkler in Fremont, CA), players set up in a loose circle arrangement and took turns playing versus or choruses along with tracks supplied by Band In A Box. One or two players have usually brought their laptops equipped with sound cards and BIAB, plus a basic PA system. This time Tom (Slim) Lattimer is bringing his PA system and Jim Baron (if he can come) will bring his excellent BIAB setup. One or two others may bring their BIAB setups as well for backup or augmentation. Luminaries? Well, we haven't had any Nashville regulars come yet, but you can be sure there are some superb west coast players who've made the scene. Check the following thread and you can see some of the interest for this upcoming gathering:

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum4/HTML/002813.html

For photos of a past gathering, looky here:

http://www.rahul.net/thinker/steeljam-09-30-00

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?</font>
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Count me in.

I'm looking forward to meeting and picking with you guys. This is going to be fun.

------------------
God made only a few perfect heads. He put hair on the rest to cover his mistakes.

Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Hi, all. It looks like we'll have one attendee with a nice Carter but no amp (she practices with headphones). Can anyone bring a spare? Thanks.

Here's who's coming so far (including a few "maybes") (no particular naming order):

Marc Friedland, b0b Lee, Kerry Johnson, Richard Sinkler, Mike Perlowin, David Wright, David Biagini, Slim Lattimer, Jim Baron, Monica Anderson, & yours truly.

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?</font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 25 June 2002 at 09:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

Hi Bill. Yes 8/3 will sort of work for me. I'm playing at The Dry Bean Festival in Tracy. I believe the hours are 10:00 to 1:00, so I can pack up, have a bite to eat, and be to San Jose about 2:30 or so. If possible, save a place for me to set up, but even if I just stop by and say hi, and listen for a while, that would be fun. My evening gig, if I decide to take it, wouldn't start until 9:00. The band I'm playing with earlier is The Dave Russell Band. He's a very good singer and puts on a real good show, in case some of you get an opportunity to make it out there before the jam. You can also check him out on www.daverussell.com The website is not always kept current, and I'm not on there because I'm the newest member. I play Pedal Steel and Keyboards with them when the gig has a big enough stage and there's enough money to go around. -- Marc
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Looking GooooooooD Image

I have a Peavy Studio Pro 50 I can bring for Monica (I assume it is her that needs the amp) to use. Does she need cords? Oh heck, I'll bring extras anyway.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Richard, please do bring the amp. That's very kind of you.

Incidentally, we're looking at a slight change of venue. Turns out there are no restrooms in Bldg C so we've been transplanted to Bldg B, room B406, which is slightly smaller (also on the 2nd level). There is also a chance we can get a MUCH bigger room, which I'm checking into. I'll put all this on the jam announcement page as info comes available.

Frank Carter

Post by Frank Carter »

Hi Bill,
Count me in!!!!! Looking foward to it.
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Frank, thanks... great to hear you're coming!

Wow, this is a good turnout. I think we may be at the room's limit now. I need to go and make a check to see how creative we may need to be for a comfortable fit for everyone.

------------------
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

I've beefed up the announcement page a lot. Image Have a look at the new version. If a photo of a previous jam session does not appear, use your browser's RELOAD or REFRESH button to download a fresh copy (and dump the moldy old copy stuck in your computer's page cache):

We're up to 14 expected steelers and at least one visitor. The latest list is (in no particular order): Marc Friedland, b0b Lee, Kerry Johnson, Richard Sinkler, Mike Perlowin, David Wright, David Biagini, Slim Lattimer, Jim Baron, Monica Anderson, Frank Carter, Tom Bradshaw & friend, Al Bates, and yours truly.

I'm also working on getting a bigger room since the one we've got right now might be kinda cozy.

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?</font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 30 June 2002 at 08:46 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

We'll, as facilities go, it looks like we've landed the big fish. We're getting 2 adjoining classrooms for a total of 2,000 square feet. No question we'll all fit comfortably! I'll update the announcement page:

Patrick Ickes

Post by Patrick Ickes »

Hey Bill,
If you got room, I'd like to join you. I see a lot of names I haven't played with for a while. It would be fun.
Pat
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Pat,

We should have room for you. C'mon down! You'd be steeler #15. We have 2,000 square feet available (minus space taken by stowed tables and chairs and the like) so that's not a problem. There were 14 steelers at a previous local jam (different facility) in 11/2000 and it worked pretty well. If we get many more steelers, we may find it beneficial to split the group, draw the divider between the two adjoining classrooms, and literally have two simultaneous jams. That would give players more opportunity to play in the round-robin (taking turns) format and still allow all players to hobnob during coordinated breaks. It would also be less intimidating for novices like me in a smaller group. But for now the plan is to jam en masse as one big group.

I must admit I've never hosted an official jam like this before so I'll be learning as I go what works and what doesn't. The goals are for all to get some chance to play, for knowledge to be shared, for players to meet and chat, and for all to have fun! Image

------------------
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

It has been suggested that we limit steel player attendance to 15 (plus non playing guests) and keep a single group (this came from someone experienced in steel jams). I think this is a good idea, so we are now at our cap of 15. I've updated the jam announcement page with this new info and also added other information. (Use REFRESH or RELOAD as needed to make sure you get a fresh copy of the page).

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?</font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 02 July 2002 at 09:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
Pete Grant

Post by Pete Grant »

Let us know if you change your mind about the 15. I've been thinking of attending.
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Pete, I think we can squeeze you in. So come on down! Image

Sorry to have to close the gate at this point folks. (Boy, do I hate to do that!) It'll get too diffused if the group is too big. Image I'd love to include everybody within 500 miles (or more)! But....

For others who see this notice late and wanted to join in, I do apologize. Please bear in mind that if all goes well there will likely be more jams down the road (and not far down the road, if I can help it!). So please be patient.

If with some future jam we're overrun by our own success (wouldn't that be something?!), I can split up groups and have one half meet one Saturday and the other half the next, or something like that. Basically, I'll do what I can to accommodate everybody who's interested.

<font size=-2>Lori, you can close this thread now. I can email the expected attendees directly as needed. Or I'll start a new thread if circumstances change. </font>

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?</font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 03 July 2002 at 03:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

Bill, Maybe it makes sense to have a "stand-by" list. The more the list of those planning on attending increases, the more likely it is that one or more of them might not be able to show, and then you can contact people on the stand-by list. -- Marc
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Marc, I've included a 'waiting list' option on the announcement page. Thanks.

I'm still trying to decide what would be the best way to handle large groups for future jams. There really does need to be a limit or it takes so doggone long to go around the room in our round robin playing sequence that nobody gets much playing time at all. Here are some ideas I've come up with:

1. One method is splitting an 'over sized' group into two adjacent Saturdays. That has at least two disadvantages, though: (1) folks may not necessarily be available for the alternate date, and (2) people would miss out on the ability to schmooze with all the other players at an all-in-one gathering.

2. Another method would be limiting only the maximum number of "guitars on the floor" at any one time to 15 or 16, even if more players and steels are present. People could literally take turns at being part of the playing circle. Often times some folks will arrive late and others leave early anyway, so players could shuffle in and out of the available slots and keep from going over the maximum number. The downside here is that the average playing time per player still goes down as the number of active players present goes up.

3. Another alternative is to have frequent enough jams (if possible) that folks who cannot make it to one could probably make it to the next. For example, if 15 players sign up for a jam on date "X", anyone who misses out goes on the sign up list for the next jam on date "Y".

Another trick in all of this is finding a date when a significant number of folks are available. Frankly, I'm pretty surprised that 8/3 turned out to be a date when so many could come! Maybe that will turn out to be rare enough that going over 15 players will seldom be a problem.

Anyway, does anyone have any other suggestions for handling large groups of players? Remember, the main goals of the jams (as I see them) are:

1. Allow players a chance to play, show their chops, and learn from other players;
2. Give players (as well as family & friends) a chance to meet and get to know each other.

Thanks.

------------------
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Bill- We have a round robin thing going on in October every year in Trufant,Mi(try and find it!)

It works out real well. There is usually about 20 players from beginners to super players. A lot of fine players and a very good backup band.

Good luck with your Jam!

It is a lot of fun....al Image Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 04 July 2002 at 07:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Al Bates

Post by Al Bates »

Bill....I have hosted a few of these jams and I find it usualy works itself out....If you have 15 players and a slow song some of the pickers will sit out and visit ....If U throw in something a little harder to play it will thin out some of the other players...Most of all everyone always has a good time and there are some dynamite pickers that always are there to show off a little...Not to often U have all 15 waiting their turn.....If so??? Still fun....CYA there....Al
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Al, interesting point. As it turns out, I'm being kinda soft on the 'limit', I'm using it more as a practical guideline. We do have the space this time around for a good sized turn out. As mentioned, the one downside to a big group is less time for individual playing, but your point about time sharing and natural shuffling about is well taken. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 08 July 2002 at 04:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Bensley

Post by Bobby Bensley »

HI Bill, say we have not met yet; you'll learn to love to hate me Image

Anyways this looks like a grand old time is to be had by all and a lot of incredible music is going to be made and shared but....

Has anyone considered taking this thing a step or three further and making a real live public show out of it?

I know I am new here and maybe this would totally go against the spirit of the event but it seems like an event like this makes a great opportunity to produce a show.

Gauging by the level of experience I see here it seems it would not be hard to put together a session band and gather a few regional notables to front short sets and do an Oprey style show in a nice concert hall type venue.

Pick charity that is politically a hot topic regionally and with the definite niche market here it would not be hard to promote the public in the door.

Sponsors from local business can and would help cover costs and in the end you could provide

1. A great chance for great players to come together and jam in a true performance setting.

2. Raise a little money for a good cause. Make it a local children’s charity and watch the community get behind you.

3. A great evening to weekend of music for the public to enjoy

4. A chance to bring about public awareness in the Steel Guitar, the charity and a genre of music that has a long and storied history ad heritage

With today’s mobile digital recording technology it is also possible to record a whole show at a high level of quality and a reasonable rate to produce a live Compilation CD to continue the fundraising for the charity long after the show.

I know it is a lot of work but if you all are interested in something like that I would be willing to help organize and promote it.

------------------
Bobby Bensley -JavaMusic A&R
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Bensley on 09 July 2002 at 11:05 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Bobby,

Thanks for the suggestion. It's certainly worth considering. As jam sessions go, I think participants are first looking for opportunities to gather, show and share licks, and schmooze in a very casual environment. The jam also provides a place to plug in for greenhorns like me who wouldn't necessarily be good enough to be part of a music festival. Even so, yours is an interesting idea. I personally don't have the wherewithal to arrange such an event (getting a free room at my church and posting an announcement on the Forum wasn't difficult, but a whole music festival is lottsa work!) but it could certainly be done if someone stepped forward to organize it. What would the event be billed as? A benefit concert featuring pedal steel? Or featuring country music (though I know that's limiting for the steel)? Would it feature the existing bands a lot of area steelers are already in?

(One caveat regarding recording the show, which I think is also a good idea: I know some concerns arose in the past regarding performance and distribution rights when some folks video taped or audio taped steelers at the St Louis PSG Convention. I guess those kind of things would all have to be worked out so a show could be safely taped.)

Anyway, all hurdles and such aside, it sounds like an intriguing concept. Image

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?</font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 10 July 2002 at 08:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Bensley

Post by Bobby Bensley »

Yea I understand about the sense of community that develops from organized Jam sessions. I used to host some Open Mics in Northern Colorado and that kids that would come to these would all come to be like family.

As far as a festival goes it can surely be done. I have done them in the past. The last one I organized was a 3 day 43 act dozy in Windsor Colorado to raise money for a youth activities center.

They are a lot of work but there is an equal amount of satisfaction to be had from putting them on as well.

For the bill that is a tricky one I don't think you would want to limit it to Country music. Doing that limits the share of the market that is available to become your audience.

I think the key would be that each band would have steel guitar of some sort as an integral part of the act. It could use the overall versatility of the Steel Guitar as a sub theme. Perhaps it could include some daytime how to work shops etc. that were all focused on the Steel Guitar.

To put these things together properly takes an average of 6-10 months so there is plenty of time to work out business plans and promotion strategies behind it.

The first step is to determine interest.

As far as recording goes, participating artists would need to sign off on the recordings prior to their performance. Typically in this type of event if it is to be recorded they will be given an opportunity to purchase the raw tracks from their set at a very reasonable rate and then will assign license for one track from the set to be used in a compilation album.

Peace,

------------------
Bobby Bensley -JavaMusic A&R