IS COUNTRY MUSIC DYING?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Wally,
Sometime the simple Yes & No answer is the best.
This is 2008 and I live today not yesterday. No disrespect, but come on......
Darryl Waltisperger
Location: Schertz, Texas (a two-step from San Antone, slightly further if you're waltzing)

change

Post by Darryl Waltisperger »

If Bach and Beethoven were sitting here today posting blogs on the "Classical Music Forum," would they have a similar discussion on contemporary classical music? ... And if Elvis were alive (and I'm not saying he's not), what would he think of today's rock and pop? :? Change is going to happen ... some of it I like, and some of it I don't. Thank God we each still have the right to decide what we like and what we want to listen to ... regardless of what anyone else says, does, or prefers, they haven't taken away my free will.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Of course, I'm living today with all music.
I like most of it.

Thank God For Music! :)
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Theresa,
Ain't it the truth.

Brett
Kent Thompson

Post by Kent Thompson »

I'm not a big fan of the current state of country music myself. A better name for it is Nashpop. People say all the time that if it didn't change country music would have died. I don't agree with that either. Some of the stuff on country radio today is o.k. I just wished they wouldn't call it country,or use country as a broad term so to speak.

I like all types of music,but belive everything has a place and needs a label. If you can't find a place to put it because it sounds different,create a new name and genre.
Kent
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

No

If you wanna hear great country music, you gotta "get off the Interstate".
Just like seeing America, you gotta get off the main highway.

my 2c
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Theresa,
:lol:

Wally
Karen Lee Steenwijk

Post by Karen Lee Steenwijk »

I grew up on "Traditional Country Music" and loved it all.But I also grew up with my ma using a wringer washer, now she has an automatic. Where would we be now without a microwave? These are changes that have become better for all of us.Music also has changed,the style. the instruments, its wonderful!We can still go back and play those Lps on a new surround stereo system, or we can play the new stuff.My daddy is 85 and was a true "Hank" fan,now he says " That Alan Jackson " sure can sing and that music behind him is the best..He has a cd player that we bought him, and he said "whats this disc thing? lol He loves it! and says Its easy to stack these, and one side has everything on it! Change...Its great! Steel music Dying? Not a chance! Traditional music dying? No....only if we let it.Listen to the singers they still have the country twang, just a little different style.As a band we give folks what they want to hear we can mix it up from "traditional", to the new generation style. We have come a long way and for the better.It all depends on the listener, and their choice. :D :D

Karen
Karen Kaylee <-- click
Kaylee Records
Nashville LTD SD-10 3x4,Fender Steelking,Sho-Bud pedal,Washburn 6-string,Morgan 6-string,Yamaha 6-string
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

As far as music is concerned,can't predict the future,[in my opinion only] the present SUCKS,With all my LP'S 78's,45's,8 tracks,cassettes,and CD'S I CAN live in the past.which I perfer,DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Country music isn't dying, but it sure is changing.
Gene H. Brown

Is country music dying?

Post by Gene H. Brown »

Nope, it's already dead!!!!! :cry:
If You Keep Pickin That Thing, It'll Never Heal!
;)
Mike Winter

Post by Mike Winter »

It's all relative. If you don't like what's on Top 40 country Music radio stations, then don't listen to them. I don't. I have albums and CD's, on my turntable and on my Ipod. These threads get kind of old. Use the on/off switich if you don't like what's on the radio. All the belly achin' in the world isn't going to change the "suit-controlled' country radio stations, so why even try? You know what you like, so just listen to your stuff and don't try to change "corporate radio," it's a lost cause. :)
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

If you gauge the death of Country by what's on the radio, I guess you could say Jazz, Rock, and Classical are dead as well. What's on the radio is no longer a good measure of what's good. Some would argue it never has been, especially in rock. I do think that Country was one genre that had a lot of the great examples actually played on the radio. Therefore, the loss is more painfully felt.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Charles Davidson wrote: LP'S 78's,45's,8 tracks,cassettes,and CD'S I CAN live in the past.which I perfer,DYKBC.
Listening to a CD isn't exactly living in the past, is it? And where can I get a QUALITY 78 RPM turntable? I think I've got a little adaptor for 45's around here someplace. Face it, Charles, you DON'T live in the past. You got a car? Fiberglass insulation in your house? What's the last Ray Price record you bought? If all you want to listen to is old-time stuff, then you're missing some mighty fine music. And the initials look kinda spooky, too, y'know? You've said nothing that deserves a trademark.
Charles Davidson

We were warned long ago,remember Murder On Music Row,Nobody says it better than the GREAT Dale Watson with his song [Country my -ss]Some criticize us old geezers that gripe about this[whatever it is]that's called country today,The day they stop calling acts like Chesney,RF's,Big and Rich,MG,Cowboy Troy,Country music,That will be the day I will stop bitching about it.I guarantee there are a lot of us old geezers around that know what REAL country music is.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Stephen Gambrell

Charles Davidson wrote:We were warned long ago,remember Murder On Music Row,Nobody says it better than the GREAT Dale Watson with his song [Country my -ss]Some criticize us old geezers that gripe about this[whatever it is]that's called country today,The day they stop calling acts like Chesney,RF's,Big and Rich,MG,Cowboy Troy,Country music,That will be the day I will stop bitching about it.I guarantee there are a lot of us old geezers around that know what REAL country music is.DYKBC.
Remember, "Murder on Music Row" was written by Larry Cordle, a professional songwriter who also wrote "Highway 40 Blues," among other hit "Country" songs. As for the GREAT Dale Watson, he played here to a TINY audience last week. I like Dale, too, but with language like that, you're gonna have to find a Dale Watson 78. And the newspaper review of his show commented mostly on his ability to drink prodigious amounts of tequila. I'm 53, by the way, and I know what REAL country music is, too. I heard Big and Rich on the radio, and, while I'm not exactly a fan, they're having fun! And if music ain't fun, then it ain't country! HYLTS???
Charles Davidson

By the way Stephen,there are plenty of good turntables out there,Also lots of the real music has been converted to CD'S,Seems you think the ones of us that like the music of the past are neanderthals,believe it or not back in the 50's,[the golden age of country music]I actually did have a car,and a Harley,Lived in a house with insulation,even a TV AND a telephone,The last Ray Price I bought was just before For The Good Times,If you think I'm missing good music,if you are talking about todays music,I think NOT.If you think I'm a little Spooky,that's great,I'm a firm believer in EVERY ONE'S RIGHT TO THEIR OPINION.Got to go now and fire up that old Carl Smith 78.DYKBC.
Stephen Gambrell

Charles, I never said, or thought, that you were a Neanderthal. You're actually the one who said you were gonna live in the past. I LOVE some of the music of the past. Hank Garland, Mozart (Even if he WAS a no-account loafer), the Fruit Jar Drinkers---All good stuff.
But you've got this one-dimensional mindset, and it ain't gonna change. In a thread about "Style," you started harping about the REAL country music that you listen to, and that you, apparently, are the only one able to discern---Discern, but not define.
So I'm not gonna run around in circles with you anymore. By the way, did you like all the orchestration on "For the Good Times?" I didn't--It didn't sound country to me.
And just so you'll know---The house I grew up in was not insulated. I could look under the window frame and see outside.HYLTS?
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Considering we are just a very few people in the scheme of things the direct answer is NO. If the question is what happened to conventional CW Music, the answer is it changed, it evolved. What happened to Big Band Music, ? Do Wop ? They are not even on the scale anymore. CW Music is at least still a viable product and at some point in time will change again to something else.

Now if the question is whats going on with Steel guitars I would say this.. it's not dead , it's probably stereotyped by a majority of us players. I have been very fortunate to do a handful of sessions for a Muzak ( not elevator music ) and for some Childrens music programs over the last month or so, the producers knew exactly what instruments they wanted which included Steel Guitar. They just didn't want Country, they wanted a hint of Country but leaning pop, rock or blues. The common thread here is that they knew the Steel Guitar was out there and wanted to use it. One of the track producers was Parthenon Huxley from ELO, he wasn't really sure what he wanted but he was sure he didn't want strait up Country playing. But he specifically requested a Pedal Steel be brought in on the track.

CW Music has survived where other forms have fallen off the planet, and to survive another 3 or 4 decades it will change again.
Ken Thompson

Post by Ken Thompson »

Not dead, just evolving. Some good, some bad, just like every decade. I didn't like everything in 1966 either. I would love to see Darryl Sigletary getting more airplay to offset some of the others but I still hear AJ and GS. I could name a whole bunch of country singers that I didn't care for in the 50s, 60s, 70s & 80s as well.
Richard Sevigny

Post by Richard Sevigny »

If Country Music is dying (and I don't think it is), could it PLEASE at least take Disco with it?? :x
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.

-Albert Einstein
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I just can't believe how many views and replies the ,"Modern Nashville Music Ain't Country," threads continue to get. I would have thought that one such thread with a zillion replies would have been sufficient. But, "Real Country Music," can never be dead as long as people are willing to go on and on about it like this. Obviously some people are very passionate about traditional country music. So how can it be dead? I don't think it's dying, either. But it has become a niche for a very passionate few. It is no longer mainstream. There are many other formerly mainstream forms in the same situation. Folk, Swing, Traditional Jazz, Rockabilly.....etc. They all have their small but passionate audiences. And I think it's great.
Amor vincit omnia
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Richard Sevigny wrote:Image

If Country Music is dying (and I don't think it is), could it PLEASE at least take Disco with it?? :x
Plus Rap and Karaoke.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Richard Sevigny

Post by Richard Sevigny »

Bill Dobkins wrote:Plus Rap and Karaoke.
Awww, don't be so hard on Karaoke. It give hours of entertainment to those who wanna listen to The Wannabees :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.

-Albert Einstein
Kent Thompson

Post by Kent Thompson »

Charles Davidson wrote:By the way Stephen,there are plenty of good turntables out there,Also lots of the real music has been converted to CD'S,Seems you think the ones of us that like the music of the past are neanderthals,believe it or not back in the 50's,[the golden age of country music]I actually did have a car,and a Harley,Lived in a house with insulation,even a TV AND a telephone,The last Ray Price I bought was just before For The Good Times,If you think I'm missing good music,if you are talking about todays music,I think NOT.If you think I'm a little Spooky,that's great,I'm a firm believer in EVERY ONE'S RIGHT TO THEIR OPINION.Got to go now and fire up that old Carl Smith 78.DYKBC.
All I can say is "Let Old Mother Nature Have Her Way"
Kent