What are the most popular make of strings used on the steel

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Keith White

What are the most popular make of strings used on the steel

Post by Keith White »

As a newish member to the forum and im shure this has been asked ,what are the most favoured make of strings used in the u.s.a. Here in the uk things are limited for choice and supply.Iuse s.i.t. and jagwire at present what are your views out there good people?.
Sho-Bud 'LDG', Sho-Bud 'The Professional', Rains SD10, Fessenden D10, Hilton Pedal, Peavey Session 500, Peavey 112, Lots of PV PA, And of course, the BJS Bar (for the best tone)! Love all Steel Guitars!
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

I use Jagwire and SIT strings also. I would hazard a guess that today most guys are going with the Jagwire strings. They sound good and last forever. I've never broken any Jagwire strings on my steel to date. Setting up a poll might be one way to see who's using what.
David Hartley

Hi Keith

Post by David Hartley »

I like any strings that dont break !
Bill Stroud

Strings

Post by Bill Stroud »

S.I.T. and JagWire is the way to go...
Bill
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I believe I use Cobra Coil strings, but I've got some George L's strings and Buddy Emmons strings.

Brett
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

b0b here on the forum sells mostly Jagwire.
I buy these because the forum is a free source of
wonderful help and the people here are so good to
deal with. And b0b is good to deal with.
Without the forum I would have a void in my life.
Billy Carr
Restricted

strings

Post by Billy Carr »

Frenchy's Steel Mill strings, Nickel Wound.
Herby Wallace

Strings

Post by Herby Wallace »

I have been playing steel guitar for a long time and for my taste, nothing I have ever used touches the Jagwire strings. I have been using and selling Jagwire for almost 6 years and I quit selling all the other brands, because most of my customers switched to Jagwire too. As far as the strings, they seem to last much longer before going dead and don't break as often. I have only broken one .011 string in almost 6 years and that was putting it on and it broke at the tuning key which was the way I strung it up rather than the string. I know this is maybe hard to believe, but it is true. I would change strings every two weeks before I went to Jagwire and now I change about every two months, so just that alone saves a lot of money on buying strings.

Herby Wallace
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I have to agree with Herby here and say Go Jagwire. They are the best sounding and most dependable strings I ever used.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Well, here's a little plug for Jagwire. I am sure you don't mind, Herby.
I use the ones with the 11.5 3rd string.
I put them on my homebuilt steel last September, 2007. So far I haven't broke one single string.

To my somewhat rusty ears the strings still sound good.
Good enough to be playing in my garage anyway.
I think I use the B pedal for what it's worth, and then some, but the 3rd string is still holding up.

I tune up every 3rd practice session and then some of the strings have dropped a wee bit.
I suppose by now I should be changing strings and I'd be surprised over the new crisp sound. But now it is becoming a sort of contest with me: to see really how long they will hold up.
Keith White

Whats the most popular strings

Post by Keith White »

Thanks guys for all your comments on this thread it looks like i was using the best from the start, as jagwire and s.i.t are all made in the same factory. Best regards Keith white :D
Sho-Bud 'LDG', Sho-Bud 'The Professional', Rains SD10, Fessenden D10, Hilton Pedal, Peavey Session 500, Peavey 112, Lots of PV PA, And of course, the BJS Bar (for the best tone)! Love all Steel Guitars!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Since this topic is entitled:
"What are the most popular make of strings used on the steel", I will say Ernie Ball.

When you consider that we're not just talking pedal steel but all the various types of guitars played with a bar, I'm sure the brands mentioned, so far, don't make up a very large percentage of the total amount of strings consumed by steel players.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Over the past several years Jagwire seems to have become real popular. I was using GHS for a very long time and S.I.T.'s on occaision. I have been using the Jagwires for a long time but GHS have always been a great string manufacturer. I think Black Diamond still manufactures a pedal stell guitar string :?
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i use jagwires & sit that i buy from this forum
http://pedalsteelmusic.com/strings.html

cobra coils are good too, that i get from steel guitar nashville
http://www.steelguitar.net/
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I was using SIT but had to change every 2 weeks or the 3rd string would break durring a gig.
I changed to Herby Wallace Jagwires and have never broken a string while playing. I left them on my Pro 1 for 5 months changed them cause I felt guilty, they were still bright. I changed strings on the williams when it arrived and the 3rd string broke before comming to pitch, at the ball end.
In 2 years no string breakage on all three guitars.

Jags for me.

ernie
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

My #1 choice is Jagwire; however a very, very close #2 would be Frenchy's Stainless Silent Wound series of strings.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

For years, the only brand of strings I've Endorsed and used exclusively has been John Pearse Strings! They hold up very well and I can't remember the last breakage of any string!
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
Ernie Pollock

Humm

Post by Ernie Pollock »

For what I have seen in these type of Posts is, it is usually the brand that YOU use!!

Ernie :lol:
Bob Schorell

Post by Bob Schorell »

Is there anybody that still uses George L's. I've been using them since Sho-Bud stopped making them.
Joe Drivdahl

Post by Joe Drivdahl »

Bob,
I still like George L's and GHS Boomers! I just bought a set of Ernie Balls from the forum just to see how they are.

Joe
Danny Hullihen

Re: Whats the most popular strings

Post by Danny Hullihen »

Keith White wrote:Thanks guys for all your comments on this thread it looks like i was using the best from the start, as jagwire and s.i.t are all made in the same factory. Best regards Keith white :D
Keith. Although we sincerely appreciate your dedication and support, I must make this comment to your post here as Jagwire Strings and S.I.T, strings are most definately NOT made in the same factory. Although S.I.T. makes great stings too, we are in no way affiliated with them, not even as a supplier.
Charlie Paterno

Post by Charlie Paterno »

What ever happened with the pushpull string? I never heard any results.
Danny Hullihen

Jagwire

Post by Danny Hullihen »

Charlie. The test results on that project was 95% possitive. We're going to be doing them for sure, but we have to get caught up with a few things here first. We don't want to announce their availability, and then not be able to produce them fast enough to meet supply and demand. We will probably make those sets sets as "direct sales only" in the beginning till we see how things go, but we will announce it when available.

Thanks for your interest.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Joe Drivdahl wrote:Bob,
I still like George L's and GHS Boomers! I just bought a set of Ernie Balls from the forum just to see how they are.

Joe
Just to clarify, the forum does not sell Ernie Ball strings. I'm not sure who you bought them from, but it wasn't us.

We sell Jagwire, SIT and GHS.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Walter Haynes

Strings

Post by Walter Haynes »

Over the years I have used every brand of string made. I tried Jaywires about 2 years ago and they are the best period!!!!I haven,t broke a 3rd. string in all that time. They keep their intonation and and easy to tune. Try a set of my series of Jaywire i think you will like them.

Walter Haynes
hayneswalter@Yahoo.com