Sho-Bud Barrel Tuners

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bruce Hamilton

Sho-Bud Barrel Tuners

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

I have a couple of Sho-Bud barrel tuners that have stripped acorn set screws. Is there a way of removing the screws without drilling through?
Thanks
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Bruce, Sometimes you can grind down the end of the allen wrench until it is past any rounded edges, then it MAY grip just enough to back out the set screw. Once those little set screws get a little sloppy, I head to the hardware store and replace them with new ones. That will save a person a lot of aggravation. I keep a pack of them in my tool box, so I have plenty. Those little allen wrenches are pretty cheap to replace, too.
Dennis Lobdell

Post by Dennis Lobdell »

Bruce; As a last resort;I called Jeff Surratt 05/01/08(Thur.) and and ordered barrels,(Sat.)05/03/08 Fed-Ex delivered them to my front door.I highly recommend Jeff Surratt. ShowProsteelguitars@yahoo.com

Dennis
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I wonder if there's an "Easy-out" small enough??? It might just grab the Allen hole. You also might just try a small screwdriver. I've had that work in the past. The tapered blade will grab across two of the Allen's "corners."
Edited to add: Small jeweler's screwdrivers. Or just grind something to fit tightly.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I wonder if there's an "Easy-out" small enough???
I just checked my 3/16-1/4" (the smallest in my set) on one of my good shobud barrels and on an old, worn allen nut I had laying around - it grabbed both fine. That's what I'd use to extract it.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional