Please Close

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Ken,

What do you suggest for packing materials to protect amp chassis?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Packing peanuts are the worst. 3 layers of 1/2" bubble wrap minimum and also a piece of cardboard over the chassis to protect the electronics. Alsa a good heavy wall box and FedEx shipping, no UPS!!!
Richard Sinkler

Thanks Ken. My amp will be on it's way in a couple of days.

I will add that I love the tone in my 2 NV400's now. I can't wait to hear the difference.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
memphislim

Post by memphislim »

I'd like for you to do a mod for me. Is there any more ways to reduce the weight for shipment such as taking the power supply off or just sending you the PC board?

Slim
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

The amp chassis and reverb tank only weight about 23 to 24 pounds packaged/. I can not do the mod and properly test without all the pieces.

Someone sent one without a heat sink and it was a miserable job to work on! I do not want to go there again!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Bump it up! Just did a Vegas 400 for Paul Logan. He dropped it by on the way to Florida on Friday and picked it up today. Sounded just awesome! Love the sound of the big cab and the 1501-4DT speaker he had in it!!

Wish Peavey still made that speaker, it was real winner.
Bill Simmons

Mod at Prattville Jam??

Post by Bill Simmons »

Hey Ken...can you do the mod while we are at the Prattville, Alabama jam on April 19??? Thanks, Ken see you at the jam...Bill Simmons
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Bill, I do not do any amp mods outside of the shop, other than chip changes for the N-112 and N-1000.

As the mods change out close to 40 components I need a shop with all my equipment to properly change parts, clean amps jacks and pots and test amps out.
Richard Sinkler

Ken,

I shipped my chassis to you but didn't realize you need the reverb tank. Do you want me to send it to you?
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

As long as there was no issue with the reverb we should be OK. I stock new tanks and can use one for testing. I also have made up two reverb harnesses for shop use, as sometimes people forget to send them
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Ken I emailed you...
Bob Hamilton

Mod Spreadsheet

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Hi Ken, and thanks for keeping all of us half-techs informed. I'd like a copy of the NV 400 spreadsheet too, when you get a chance;

hamilton@calinet.com
Bob Hamilton

Resend

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Hi Ken thanks for your prompt response. I got the reverb mod and the N400 board A ok, but the others are garbled. Sorry for the mixup. Could you resend whatever else I'm missing? Thanks again, BH
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

We will be out of town the last two weeks in May. Also going to the 'Bama jam the first weekend in June.

Shop will also be closed from mid July thru mid August this year.
Richard Sinkler

I got my amp back from Ken and all I can say (and the guys I play with) is WOW. Best bucks I have spent in a long time. Even the buzz I get in some clubs sounds awesome.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Bump. Let me know if you and when you have one coming.

Kits in stock and now is a good time for a fast turn around, typically out the next day.
Mike Hardwick

Nashville Mod

Post by Mike Hardwick »

Ken, I'd like to take you up on your generous offer of the info on the Nashville 400 mods, if you're still making it available. I know how much time it takes to upgrade, tweak, etc. and appreciate your sharing. Looking forward to having a look. Thanks, Mike
Bob Hamilton

400 Mods

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Me too, Ken. and thanks a lot for all your help. Bob H.
Steve Spitz

My Ken Fox modded NV400

Post by Steve Spitz »

Played last week at the New Orleans Jazz&Heritage fest twice. First on the Accura stage . People refer to it as the biggest stage at the biggest festival in the world . Whatever. Really sounded outstanding . Later that day played in a tent packed to the gills with people . It started raining really hard , so anyone playing inside a tent became really popular. Again the amp sounded killer.
Played last night at the House of Blues with Mike Ness?(Social Distortion?) Never heard of him , but it was obvious this crowd wanted to rock. I`ve never liked playing loud , but I cranked it hard. Mostly Rock a Billy Jumps and swing on C6. Again nice and tight , but warm as well. I use a black box.
Played a black tie event in between, at the most controlled ,moderate , cocktail jazz voume.
I`ve played about ten jobs on it , and it does everything well. For my sound , I`m really diggin it. The Reverb is really improved as well. I often use a TCM300 unit for reverb and Delay, sometimes I`ll reach back and goose the amp reverb on a belly-rubber(slow tune) and it`s thick.
If your considering this mod, you won`t regret it.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Just a reminder, if you need the files you must email your email address to me.

Thanks for the report, Steve! I am glad you are pleased with the mod!!!
Richard Sinkler

I think the best part of the mod is the warmth it added to a normally dry solid state sound. Everyone I play with is blown away by the difference.

I say have your amp modded by Ken. Great service (quick too).
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Thanks, Richard! I have two more coming this week. Right at 100 amps done now!!

Any amps shipped by end of June will result in a $25.00 donation to PayPal from myself to the Steel Guitar Forum.

Just a way to say thanks to Bob for all his efforts and to continue the support of the great Forum!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

We will be closed for a month and not taking any amps in after July 10. We will be up and running around the end of August
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

We are back and ready to go to work again!