white noise etc....

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Eddie Harper

white noise etc....

Post by Eddie Harper »

Sometimes when transferring from cassette to my Recording Studio, Sonar 4, I have some white noise that I can't seem to get rid of. I've looked all through Sonar and it doesn't have a de-esser etc. What program or plugins do you recording guys use. Thanks Eddie
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Eddie, can you highlight the area in question and insert silence?
Eddie Harper

white noise

Post by Eddie Harper »

Hi Bent...thanks for the reply. I've looked at that in Sonar 4 but for some reason mine is grayed out. I'm running Sonar 4 Studio Edition..Any other suggestions...........Eddie
Will Holtz

Post by Will Holtz »

Spitfish is a good free de-esser VST. You can find it and some other great free plug-ins here.
Chris Tarrow

Post by Chris Tarrow »

Are you talking about hiss off the cassette tape? If so, a de-esser is not really the right tool for the job, does Sonar have some kind of broadband noise reduction plugin?

I don't know these plugs, but you might try a demo:

http://www.newbluefx.com/scrubbers-2.html
Eddie Harper

white noise

Post by Eddie Harper »

Thanks Will, and Chris for the links. I'll try them out.

Yes Chris, I'm talking out the hiss from a cassette. What program do you use, or suggest for that type of situation..
I always used a de-esser in my old studio, Magix, and it seemed to work ok for that type of problem.... Eddie
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Chris Tarrow

Post by Chris Tarrow »

I've done some big cassette to CD transfer projects, so I made the investment in Waves X-Noise, expensive, but very good.

http://waves.com/Content.aspx?id=205

There's also Bias Sound Soap which is $99 at Sweetwater, supposed to be good, but I can't say I've used it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SoundSoap/
Phil Halton

Post by Phil Halton »

Goldwave from Goldwave.com has an excellent noise reduction plug that I use all the time for this sort of thing. There is a free demo version that'll work for a month or so depending on how much you use it. All you need to do is select a region of audio that contains the noise (can be as little as a fraction of a second) and copy it and then run the noise reduction plug--cleans up real nice.