Tuning Question

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Wolfgang Bednarz

Tuning Question

Post by Wolfgang Bednarz »

Hello all,

what is the rigth tunning for Rockabilly or so called " Texas Rockbilly " music like " Two tons of steel" ? Or Music in the style of BR5-49 .
I´m normaly came from the pedal sections, but I fall in love with this kind of music and like to try a little bit. The guitar will be a 8-stringer.

Greetings
Wolfgang
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

From hi to lo (G)-E-C-A-G-E-C-(A). This seems to be the most commonly used 8 string C6 tuning. The notes in parenthases are the ones that are variable according to personal tastes.
Amor vincit omnia
Wolfgang Bednarz

Post by Wolfgang Bednarz »

Thank you Edward,

this was my first thinking , I was not sure.
What about B 11 ?

E
C#
A
F#
D#
C#
B
A

Greetings
Wolfgang
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Wolfgang, Instead of B11 try A6 which has the same intervals as Edward's suggested C6.

E
C#
A
F#
E
C#
A
F#
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Yes, A6 is the same intervals. Those intervals used to be referred to as, "Orchestra Tuning." A6 is fine for Hawaiian or Swing. My opinion is that the higher register works better for rockabilly.
B11 is not a common tuning for rockabilly. It is most often used in Hawaiian. It was Don Helms' 2nd tuning. He said he liked to use it behind the singer. He used his own 6th tuning for soloing. His 6th configuration is great for blues IMHO. But I stick with my C6 for rockabilly.
Amor vincit omnia