How to fix my Fender vol/tone pedal?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jacob Gordon

How to fix my Fender vol/tone pedal?

Post by Jacob Gordon »

I just scored a great vintage Fender volume/tone pedal, but it's got an issue with slippage on the volume string. After using the pedal for a few minutes, the volume gets really low. Cranking the pedal all the way back restores the vol. but it's annoying. Does this just need a new string? There is also some yellow stuff on the wheel that the string is wrapped around. Do I need more of that stuff, less of it, what is it?
Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Jacob
Stringmaster
Nashville, TN
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

The volume pot is controlled by a string whose tension is governed by a spring. I would 1st consider removing the volume pot string and cleaning the wheels involved and replacing it just as it was. If that doesn't help it shorten the string (it is a loop) by any number of methods just a titch as that will increase the tension and hopefully keep the pot from slipping.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Lots of times the string will slip because the pot itself has gotten tight. Turn the pot by hand to see if it rotates freely. I have fixed this by spraying tuner cleaner/lubricant into the pot. If its a sealed pot, that's another whole can of worms, but may be salvaged by drilling a small hole in the
metal shell and spraying.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Is the "yellow stuff" some kind of grease or other material? The pot pully that the string wraps around should be clean metal. I would remove the yellow stuff, clean the pully good and replace the string. The string should be a material that will grab the pot pully. I use landscaping string - that bright pink or yellow nylon string you find at Home Depot. It helps prevent slippage. I've heard that waxed shoelace is good, too.

Clyde and Jim's suggestions are good, too. The pot has probably been replaced several times and may be the problem. It's hard to find a replacement with the right value (250k ohm), a long shaft and good smooth action.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

The pulley on the pot shaft might be dragging on the bracket or the pot nut so check for that. I use braided nylon cord and impregnate it with violin rosen or gorrilla snot to make it sticky. It could be a hard to turn pot though. I've used those pedals all my life and I still have a couple Fender V/Ts. Working on them is an acquired skill akin to replacing the wiring harness in a Gibson 335. When those things are dialed in and running smooth though,they'll hang in there for a long time without mantainance.
Jacob Gordon

Back in business! (and one more question)

Post by Jacob Gordon »

Thanks so much, folks, for your input. I took the pedal to the local shop and went over it thoroughly with my friend, who is a tech. She and I got the thing moving so smoothly--it's fantastic. I cleaned the yellow stuff (appears to be beeswax? earwax??) off the vol put and left it on the tone pot. Doesn't seem to be a prob either way.

Have one more question, however: is the fender volume pedal suppose to snap into a full-forward position? When I got the pedal, it was strung so that when your foot is off of it, it snaps into the full-forward (max volume) position. Now, mysteriously, it doesn't. Which way is correct?
Thanks a bzillion.

Jacob
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

earwax
:)

My Fender V/T stays where it's left. I can't open it up right now to refresh my memory as to its innards so I'm not sure what to make of your experience. My strong personal preference is to have a pedal stay put and not be spring loaded but I can't really comment on what's 'correct'. I just recently bought a used Derby Emmons-style volume pedal that feels like a gas pedal with a strong spring return to zero (up) and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want this.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

My recollection - such as it is- tells me that the position of the pedal when your foot is off it depends on how the string that activates the volume part of it is looped around the pulley that resides under where your heel is.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

When I got the pedal, it was strung so that when your foot is off of it, it snaps into the full-forward (max volume) position.
That's exactly what you don't want. :roll:
Eric Dunst

Post by Eric Dunst »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but it's easier than starting a new one on the same topic.

I'm having the same string slippage issue with my vintage Fender volume/tone pedal. I was wondering if there's any consensus on how to make the string "stickier?" The pots are fine. I haven't done anything yet. Mine has the original (style) cotton string.
Thanks
Rick Barnhart

For Jim Palenscar

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Jim, I'll be in Oceanside late next week...for a few days. If I bring in a Goodrich pedal with a Dunlop pot, could you adjust the string for me? It's in great shape, the volume is just too loud in the off position and I have ten thumbs.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

what Pally said

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Always happy to see you Rick!