Fender Steel ? On ebay...

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Stan Townsend

Fender Steel ? On ebay...

Post by Stan Townsend »

Has anyone ever seen a Fender psg like this? Link to auction on eBay.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Yikes! Looks like it used to be part of a Stringmaster with some kinda funky finish on it that I can't quite figure out. Then someone hacked up the bottom to accomodate the legs. It might sound great but I just can't get passed the sight of it. :|
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I think most of the hardware comes from a Fender pedal steel. The body and legs look home made. It's a cobbler's special!
b0b

Post by b0b »

I think it's the front neck of a quad, routed to add the leg sockets and refinished for whatever reason.

It's not a pedal steel so I've moved the topic to the 'Steel Without Pedals" section.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

That's the one I also posted as Is this a Stringmaster?

ron
Stan Townsend

Post by Stan Townsend »

More like a Stringdisaster.
Mark Vinbury

Post by Mark Vinbury »

I'm with Bob-- Looks like one neck from a multi with an apron, edge-screwed onto the bottom to cover up the leg hardware and angle iron. Another "Garagemaster".
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Frankenstein???
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

I like the description "it appears to have been modified". Ya think?? Maybe it was modified with a chisel.
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

There's a lot of interest in this guitar, the bidding is already up to $11.50.
Stan Townsend

Post by Stan Townsend »

Do I hear $11.51? Hey, the fretboard alone is worth ten bucks.
Stan Townsend

Post by Stan Townsend »

Leo would be rolling over in his grave. Blasphemy!
James Collett

Post by James Collett »

What's with the bracket's underneath- did they plan on pedals or something?
James Collett
Jon Moen

Maybe not as bad as it looks???

Post by Jon Moen »

I think Mark may be correct if that is a horizontal joint line visible on the face between the left and middle legs. This may be an intact stringmaster body with a butchered piece of wood fastened to the bottom with six or eight screws then reinforced with angle brackets.
Maybe all that is required is to remove the bottom section, remove the "finish", fill a few holes and refinish then install a proper tailpiece/pickup plate. Alan Brookes has done more work than this on his blue Stringmaster or Fender pedal steel restorations.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

The body reminds me of something that would have come out of the Harlin factory. Is this a hybrid MultiKord/Fender ?
Whoever built this has done a good job of it.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Alan Brookes wrote: The body reminds me of something that would have come out of the Harlin factory. Is this a hybrid MultiKord/Fender ?
When was that style of bridge cover used on Stringmasters? The shape of the body really looks like the front neck of a quad to me.

I don't think this is all that exotic. Splitting up quads was not uncommon in the 50's and 60's. Jimmy Hawton told me once that he and a friend split the cost of a 4 neck Stringmaster so that they could each have a Fender D-8.

The real travesty here is the textured paint job. Ugly! I bet the guitar sounds pretty good, though.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

That is the 3rd or 4th neck from a quad. I have the 3rd neck from a quad and it is a little deeper than mine but almost identical- except I didn't vomit gravel all over mine.
The pickups on mine are golden- it has to be worth a good chunk just as a nice sounding 8 string. If someone made this as a custom instrument without that craptastic finish there would be folks jumping all over it.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I don't think the finish is so bad. The reason it reminds me of a Harlin is because they used unusual speckled finishes on many instruments. If this is from a Quad they will have had to fill in the connecting holes. The bridge cover is from a Fender cable PSG. The damping mechanism has been removed. The tuner pan could be from a Stringmaster or a PSG.

I wonder why they routed out the underneath. That could have an effect on the tone.
Jon Moen

Post by Jon Moen »

Alan, I don't think they did route out the actual body. I think they added on a piece of wood to the bottom. See all the 6+ screw holes on the picture of the bottom. I think the added bottom piece has been routed and "reinforced" with the angle brackets. I am not sure but in the picture of the front there seems to be a joint line visible on the face between the two legs on the left hand side. What do you think?

Jon
basilh

Post by basilh »

Of course it's had pieces added to make it deeper, why else would these 6 holes be there :-
Gary Boyett

Post by Gary Boyett »

I am surprised that no one bought it just for the tuning pan and pups.

This is just a real shame...
Jon Moen

Post by Jon Moen »

The sale ended early because the item was no longer available for sale. I wish they wouldn't do that. I would like to know how much it would have sold for.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Gary Boyett wrote:I am surprised that no one bought it just for the tuning pan and pups.
This is just a real shame...
I was waiting until closer to the closing date. I was going to bid on it for the spare parts alone.

I didn't think you could pull an auction while it was in progress.
Jon Moen

Post by Jon Moen »

eBay rules for ending early:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/end_early.html

They must have ended it with more than 12 hours to go. Who knows the reason but it still doesn't look good.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I wrote to the seller, asking why he had ended the auction, and he said because there was very little activity. I pointed out to him thst most activity occurs within a few hours of the end of the auction.