New to the Forum & a Beginner

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Greg Quinlan

New to the Forum & a Beginner

Post by Greg Quinlan »

Evening folks!

I purchased a cheap lap steel(no name) this past Fall and am struggling to get going. Up to this point, living in Maine seems to be a disadvantage. I'm writing for 2 reasons. First, can anyone recommend a good beginners course? GeorgeBoards Lap Steel Guitar 101 looks pretty good. Secondly, I did notice quite a few Mainers belong to this forum. Do any of you give lessons(keep in mind I live in Brunswick)? I look forward to learning alot from you guys!

Thanks,

Greg
Terry Farmer

Post by Terry Farmer »

Check out Reece Anderson's beginning steel guitar lessons here http://www.musictexasstyle.com/ I've enrolled and am enjoying them very much. They've made me go back and get some basics down that I had glossed over in my eagerness to get to playing songs. They've also helped me to eliminate some poor picking and barring habits I'd picked up over the years. I wish I would have started this instruction about four years ago, it would have saved me a lot of time. It's never to late to start over however. I find myself really enjoying the fruits of practicing correctly. Reece conveys, and I agree, "it's the journey, not the destination". The lessons are great IMHO.
Terry Farmer

Post by Terry Farmer »

Man o man! I forgot one important note. (pun intended) WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!! You will find professional players and beginners alike sharing great advice, tidbits, insights, B.S., cussin's, discussions, insights, and great steel guitar community comrade-ship right here. Welcome aboard!
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

Hey Greg, Welcome.
You didn't mention what type of music you want to learn or what tuning you're using. This might help to get you the info you need.

Mark
Greg Quinlan

Post by Greg Quinlan »

Terry - Thanks for the info and the welcome! I'll check out that site.

Mark - Good questions! In my haste to get going, I guess I left out some details. Of course, there in lies the dilemma! I like all kinds of music...blues, classic rock, country, swing, rockabilly, country rock. With so many different tunings out there, I think I need to start with what's easiest, and then build from there. So if approaching this from a specific tuning that's easy to learn, then that's where I need to begin.

Thanks!
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Welcome aboard, Greg. To really figure out where to begin you want to also consider how much you know about music theory and whether or not you've ever played another instrument. But no matter what your starting point, there will be more than one way to go about learning.
Amor vincit omnia
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Greg, welcome aboard!

While there are indeed many ways to learn steel, I've not heard of a better way to learn than proffered by the best of them all, Jerry Byrd. Invest in his courses, book w/CDs and his video, and you will have the optimum foundation possible, and allow you to get the most out of your guitar.
Learning to hold the bar CORRECTLY is the first most important lesson.

Check out my beginners tutorial page at my site to get the JB material from Scotty, and maybe find something useful along the way. www.hwnsge.5u.com
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

The Byrd book is excellent. It's what I learned on. But for an absolute musical beginner I have heard very high praise for Lorene Ruymar's book. I didn't need it as I had many years of experience on other instruments before beginning steel guitar. From what I have seen of it, I would recommend it as a prequel to the Byrd book. My reasoning is that it includes some basic music theory information. And coupled with the Byrd book it will give one a direct understanding of how and why the modern tunings and techniques developed. I think the two books ought to be standard reading. Another alternative, though would be to read, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory," or maybe, "Music Theory for Dummies." No disparagement of anybody involved in this conversation is intended. Those are just the names of the books. Good entry level stuff.
Amor vincit omnia
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

I like all kinds of music...blues, classic rock, country, swing, rockabilly, country rock.
Hawaiian music is strangely missing... :? :o

Welcome to the Forum, Greg.

Aloha, :)
Don
Greg Quinlan

Post by Greg Quinlan »

Wow! I appreciate all the responses and warm welcomes! I can see this forum is going to help me alot. In response to a couple of replies...I have played acoustic guitar(Ovation) in the past, but not alot lately(although my oldest daughter has started playing and I look forward to playing with her!). My goal is to learn lap steel and hopefully move up to pedal steel. I took a couple of music classes in college, so I'm not completely new to this. I have a good ear for tone and beat, just need to knuckle down and get to work! Being able to play with someone would also help alot. I need to hear from my fellow Mainers!
Greg Quinlan

Post by Greg Quinlan »

Oh, forgot one thing. I do like Hawaiian music and gospel(I love Robert Randolph) as well...sorry Don!
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Greg says
My goal is to learn lap steel and hopefully move up to pedal steel.
Greg, some people might say that this would be moving downward. :lol:

Aloha, :)
Don